“Loved it!”

Ranked #15 of 29 Hotels in Estes Park
Papillion, Nebraska
“Loved it!”
Reviewed December 1, 2012

This place was awesome and I got it on a groupon deal. I took my teenage children there over New Years last year. The hotel staff were very pleasant and they were gracious enough to upgrade our room to the floor with the most reported activity (for free) since there were many vacant rooms. We had driven 10 hours so were exhausted when we arrived. Laid down on a large, very clean, and comfortable bed with my two daughters. I was lying facing the nightstand and because the bed was crowded, my face was only about six inches away from it. I was just about asleep when I heard something being dragged across the nightstand. I thought a pen had slowly rolled off the nightstand. My eyes popped open and I prayed my daughters were asleep already and didn't hear it, as I knew it would freak them out. I laid there with my eyes open for a couple seconds, and then one of my girls sat straight up. I asked them if they heard it, and they said they did. I looked all over on the floor for what might have rolled off but found nothing. We laid down again, and right away the rolling sound happened again, but quickly this time. Needless to say, we slept with every light on that night. I was more frightened about it than my girls. However, nothing else of this nature occurred the rest of the trip, and we had a fabulous, relaxing time.

There were definite pros and cons to staying there in the winter. The pro is that it is not busy, and it was almost like being the owners of a big, beautiful house, because you could wander around at night without disturbing anyone. We pretty much had free rein of the entire place. The downside is that many businesses in Estes Park are not open in the middle of winter. There really was not much to do in the city itself, but it gave us a great opportunity to hang out in a wonderful historic home.

• Stayed January 2012, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (854)
Dallas, Texas
Reviewed November 27, 2012

We arrived at the hotel and its beautiful, it towers over the city on the hill and is everything from the opening scene of the shining except the road is not there, and only the exterior of the hotel was used.
We stayed in room 217 (Steven Kings Room) and were advised that no one ever makes it though the night. We had dinner in the horrible restaurant down stairs, took the decent tour for some back ground info but included nothing about ghosts, thats a seperate tour since the new resort company took over. Guide was good.
Having gotten back to room 217 at 11pm, and stayed awake until 5 am before finally going to bed, not a single thing happened, room was drafty, sheets are cheap and scratchy. Only cool thing that happened on the entire trip relating to the hotel was taking a photo in the billards room when no one was around and got image of a man in a suit in the photo. And a women with her kids taking a photo of our door and i giggled the door and the kids left screaming.
I would not recommend that over priced and loud hotel, people stay in the halls all night trying to talk to the ghosts, hotel staff was quick to stop it but how many times in a night do they have to come up and myself go out before people get the idea to leave.
I don't know what I expected from the room but overall it wasn't worth the upgrade.
Please vacuum under the bed disgusting how much dust was visually present.

2 Thank wick1979
Matthew_Lauzon, Manager at Stanley Hotel, responded to this review, December 10, 2012
Thank you for your business and feedback. Your comments help us continually improve our product and service. We have changed the dynamic of our tours and hope to provide a better understanding of the history, and for those who really enjoy the paranormal aspect to do either the ghost hunt or the night tour. I am glad that our staff was prompt and courteous, however am disappointed that you did not enjoy your overall stay. We do our best to patrol the floors especially in the evening as there are many curious minds and 217 is the most famous room. Thank you again for your visit.
New Albany, Ohio
Reviewed November 26, 2012

Being a big fan of The Shining, I did not miss the opportunity to experience the ghost and history tour after a friend and I went camping in Rocky Mountain NP. It did not disappoint! While I personally do not believe in ghosts, I had a great time on the tour. The guide was fun and informative, and she did a good job of balancing ghost hunting with the history of the hotel. Even if you are not interested in the ghost and history tour, a trip to Estes Park in autumn is a must!

Room Tip: Look online to find out which rooms are supposedly the most haunted.
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled with friends
Thank you for your recent visit, and are glad you were able to take the tour! Similar to yourself, I do prefer the history which is very vast and interesting. I am glad that our staff was able to make this a memorable visit and hope to see you again in the future. Thank you for your business!
Denver, Colorado
Reviewed November 26, 2012

My boyfriend and I went to the Stanley last weekend for his birthday. He loves to ghost hunt and has been there several times for the Ghost Hunters TV show special. I booked room 428 about 2 months in advance. I had no idea it was one of the more haunted rooms on the 4th floor! We didn't experience anything in our room, which I was thankful for after the 5 hour Ghost Hunt. We arrived and the reception staff was excellent. Very nice and pointed out the major things we needed to know. The floors have a lot of static... so be careful when you touch anything metal after walking on the carpet!

Our room was HUGE - it's a corner room with a seating area and table in one corner, and a couch in the other. We had dinner at Cascades and it was great. The waiter was very nice, and he recommended a great wine. We both had the filet -- delicious!!! - and the creme brulee for dessert. It was very good - seemed worth the price we paid for it.

We did the Ghost Hunt at 8:00. I'm somewhat of a nervous nelly about these things, so I wasn't sure what to expect. Karl and Connor were our guides, and they were really personable and funny. They did a great job of explaining everything, and gave us the history of the spirits we were trying to connect with. We did have some stuff happen... one lady's meter flew off of her hand 4 feet across the room... that was a little scary... but it was fascinating. We had room service the next morning for breakfast. Delicious! I thoroughly enjoyed the hotel, service and staff. We're definitely going back more often!

• Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
Thank you for your visit, and we are thrilled it was a successful birthday! Our staff actually told me about your memorable event on your ghost hunt! People always ask if anything "special" has happened, and this is definitely a good one. Thank you again for your business and we hope to see you for the next birthday!
Poultney, Vermont
Reviewed November 21, 2012

I had only seen the Stanley on television and read about online and in the paper. Those articles do not do it justice. I arrived and it was amazing. Sitting atop a hill with amazing views of the Rockies was breathtaking. Seeing elk roam the grounds and other wildlife was incredible.
I was there as part of the Darkness Radio Event so I did have a group discount, but I was put in a King Suite which I find amazing.
I ate at the bar every night and there were two people, Grace and Jimmy, who were absolutely amazing. They were super nice, helpful and had amazing customer service skills. They listened to me when I explained how getting here was scary because of rental car issues, and how it was awesome to go on two different ghost investigations and get evidence.
My room was amazing, I loved how antique it was while still having nice amenities like a flat screen, wifi and a jacuzzi tub. My only complaint is the water wasn't warm enough to use the jacuzzi tub. I don't know if that was just with my room or not, but that can be annoying.
Also, watch out for the elevator buttons on the third floor. It will give you a mean shock every single time. I don't know if it's wiring or static electricity, but I finally just started taking the stairs to avoid it.
But seriously, go. You will have a blast and it's a memory that will last for ages. It's been a week for me and I'm still amazed and talking about it.

Room Tip: 319 was a great room minus the water not being hot enough for a bath, but shower wise, it was alrigh...
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled solo
Thank you for visiting with the Darkness Radio group. It was a fun event and definitely an eclectic group of individuals! Grace and Jimmy are two of our best and truly an asset to have apart of our team. i am pleased you had an enjoyable time and hope to play your host again in the future!
Colorado Springs, Colorado
Reviewed November 20, 2012

The history surrounding this hotel is incredibly interesting and the ghost tour is an absolute must. Ask for "Scary Mary" and you will have a great time. The stories of people having paranormal experiences including Stephen King "The Shining" and Jim Carey "Dumb and dumber" are great. Step back in time to see the workmanship and thought process of the elite in the early 1900's. Unfortunately, the hotel is sort of stuck there and walking through the halls and the rooms is both creepy and interesting with the sounds your footsteps make (an others above you). There are other lodge facilities that may be more updated, so if you want comfort, reserve a room there. The restaurant is both great and not so much. The appetizers show great imagination, but the main courses are a little lackluster as is the dessert menu. However, the Whiskey bar boasts over 350 different imported and american as well as local whiskeys. They also specialize in the turn of the century cocktails. The hotel itself would only get 3 stars anywhere else, but add in the history and the tours and I bring it up to four. For a one night getaway, this is a great option.

1 Thank spyke77
Thank you for your recent visit to our property- Scary Mary is truly one of a kind! Our Lodge rooms are recently renovated, and do add an extra level of comfort. Our property is definitely very special, and the history is very interesting. We hope to see you again in the future!
Denver, Colorado
Reviewed November 17, 2012

If you like a B&B experience, try the Lodge at the Stanley Hotel. It's a perfect overnight getaway - the Lodge is the old manor house for the hotel, newly restored. Beautiful, comfortable, quiet, with incredible homemade goodies from the innkeeper for breakfast.

1 Thank Shelledee
Matthew_Lauzon, Manager at Stanley Hotel, responded to this review, November 19, 2012
Thank you for spending the weekend with us! Our Lodge does have great ambience, and Midge, our innkeeper does a fabulous job! She provides a healthy, yet tasty spread! We certainly appreciate your business, thank you!