“I've been in more comfortable rooms, but loved staying here for the history and the ambiance” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of Stanley Hotel

Stanley Hotel
Ranked #14 of 28 Hotels in Estes Park
Slingerlands, New York
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 8, 2012

The Stanley was highly recommended to me, and I frankly had no idea what to expect. I knew it was beautiful, supposedly haunted, but that's all I knew going in. Walking up the stairs into the lobby takes your breath away. It is wonderful that this is an historically preserved building, as it is typical of construction that is not done any more. The layout is original, with a billiards room, the music room. You can read the history and the prior usage of these rooms. The hotel still has the original elevator, however thankfully modified to make it modern. The service at the front desk was efficient and businesslike.

My room was on the fourth floor, which is supposedly the most haunted. Finding the room was a bit difficult as the direction signs on the floors point to even and odd rooms, (see photo). I had a standard queen room. The room was small, I would guess about 12 x 12. There was a small bathroom with a good shower, and a closet. There is no air conditioning, however you can open the windows which is also unusual and the room was a comfortable temperature. I found the bed hard and somewhat difficult to sleep on. There is good, free Wi-Fi.

Come here as much for the mystique, the history and the beautiful old building as much as for the rooms. "The Shining" plays continuously on channel 42, and there is a whole section of the gift shop devoted to memorabilia of the movie.

I would do it again in a heartbeat!

Room Tip: The fourth floor has the reputation as most haunted......
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled solo
1 Thank Rhapsodyinblue
Matthew_Lauzon, Manager at Stanley Hotel, responded to this review, November 19, 2012
It is always great to hear positive reviews! Thank you so much for visiting, I believe our property has a lot of the charm and mstique that you mention. Yes, the room direction does take a little getting used to (I had to learn this when I first started), however, I think it only adds to the charm! Thank you very much for you business.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (800)
Bayou Vista, TX
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 8, 2012

This is a wonderful vacation spot. My sisters and I spent two nights here, enjoyed the marvelous scenery, extremely informative and entertaining tours at the hotel, and relaxed a wee bit in the hotel's great bar. I hope to return for another visit soon. Our rooms were very very warm, but okay with the windows open. I was impressed by the wonderfully helpful staff!

• Stayed November 2012, traveled with family
1 Thank djwhatley
It's great to hear how helpful our staff was during your visit, and we certainly appreciate your feedback. We hope to see you and your sisters again in the near future, thank you so much for your business!
Omaha Nebraska
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 7, 2012

We had a great stay at the Stanley. Everybody was really nice and the hotel is amazing. Take the ghost tour, it's worth your time and money. This place is an experience, if you and not interested in some fun; stay somewhere else. We were in room 410; creepy stuff will happen there.

Room Tip: Stay on the fourth floor for an interesting stay.
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank omatraveldog
Thank you for your visit, and we are so pleased that you had a great time! Our staff really plays an integral part in the overall experience, and I am happy that we were able to exceed your expectations! Thank you again!
The Colony, Texas
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 6, 2012 via mobile

The price might be steep, but u are paying to stay in the 5th most haunted place in America. Not including its a historical site. Our room was 212 was more then adaquite accommodations. Our room was known for the ghost children playing hide and go seek in the very large strange closet. If u want super paranormal ask for 213/215/217/219 all the same original suite Steven king stayed in. Beautiful hotel. You can go to the fourth floor and perhaps hear children playing. Enjoy your time here.

• Stayed November 2012
1 Thank candegurrl25
Thank you so much for your recent visit to our property! There are definite reportings of activity, and this past weekend we had a large group with many famous Ghost Hunters- they had some interesting finds! We hope to see you again in the future, thank you!
Coeur d'Alene, Idaho
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 5, 2012

I always love staying in older hotels/motels that provide history and a different experience from the cookie cutter options that are out there.

The rooms where beautiful,the lounge/bar was a hopping place even on a Tuesday evening, and the amount of history and mystery surrounding the hotel made for an interesting stay.

Noticed one of the reviewers calling it a tourist trap, but I didn't get that vibe from the hotel at all and would gladly go back and stay again the next time I am in Colorado.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled with friends
1 Thank Jamie Lynn M
We are thrilled that you had a great experience at our property! We are fortunate to be able to have a great restaurant, and yes, the bar does stay quite active. Thank you for your business and we look forward to seeing you next time!
Denison, Texas, United States
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 5, 2012

It is a great place if you enjoy history. There is plenty to read and learn about the history of the hotel and town of Estes Park.
The hotel did not have A/C, although our room had a ceiling fan and an additional free standing fan. It was pretty warm even though the temperature outside was high 60 low 30's in the morning.
The staff was not what I expected. It was more like staying the night in a museum with city employees who are bored with the whole tourism thing.

Room Tip: Ask for a room close to back parking lot. Easy access to car and bringing luggage in.
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled with family
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
Thank you for your business, I am pleased to know that you enjoyed your trip, however, am disappointed that our staff fell below your expectations. Your feedback certainly helps us improve and identify where we have opportunities. Thank you again.
nyc
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 4, 2012

Estes Park is a gorgeous town and so many things to do in the surrounding area. Our visit was in the fall and the scenery is simply magnificent. The drive to and from Estes Park was just amazing and to see the elk was a thrill. The Stanley Hotel is a very beautiful place, steeped in history but what a tourist trap! It was such a disappointment particularly since it was intended/expected to be one of the highlights on our trip to Colorado. I would encourage anyone to visit but beware... The tour office was one of the worst arrangements I have ever encountered. I had booked a two night stay in a family room and had also booked the night tour for three people at least a month in advance. The tour was a joke! I wanted a little of the "ghost stuff" but I really wanted to learn more about the history of the hotel. I learned more from the lady in the gift shop than the tour guide.The dinner in Cascades was just ok, terrible service. The breakfast was very good with wonderful service, but I may have been one of three guests . The second night we were seated in the bar...food terrible, service worse than the night before and my salmon smelled like rotten fish. I attempted to tell the rude staff member that checked us out and her comment to me was "the food must have been too rich for you" as she proceeded to add up the enormous bill. Also, the room was not clean, especially the bathroom with not nearly enough paper products for a two night stay in a family room. The cool water trickled from the shower with a little warm water for one shower. There was no stopper if you should care to take a bath.
My suggestion would be to certainly visit Estes Park, ride by, even stop for pictures to see the lovely old stately Hotel Stanley but do not eat, drink or stay there. What a disappointment!!!!

Room Tip: Stay in another location in Estes Park
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled with family
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
3 Thank bellalee
Thank you for your recent visit, and for your constructive feedback. We have shared and used your comments with our staff as it helps us continually improve our service. Further, we have made changes to our tour, appropriately now named the Stanley Tour, in hopes to deliver more of the history. Thank you again for your business.