“Hauntingly Beautiful Mysterious Stanley Hotel”
Review of Stanley Hotel

Stanley Hotel
Ranked #16 of 28 Hotels in Estes Park
Reviewed October 13, 2012

We decided to visit Estes Park and the Stanley Hotel after the completion of a conference in Denver. Are we glad we did. I too agonized over staying at a hotel with such mixed reviews. However my spirit of adventure could not be denied. I talked with Lindsay in reservations who could not have been more helpful in selecting a room. We finally chose a haunted room on the 4th floor room 428. The day we arrived at the Stanley we came early and sat in the comfortable chairs in front of the warm and welcoming fireplace. I picked up our tickets for the History and Ghost Tour and by the time I returned to the lobby my husband had checked us in. The room was large and spacious at the top of the 4th floor stairs. We had a set of windows in the front that overlooked the mountains and windows on the side. We had a lot of light and ventilation. The bed was huge and we couldn't wait to jump onto the bed. The linens were crisp and soft and very comfortable. The bath needed to be remodeled but hopefully in the future. We ate in the bar and the service and food was excellent. The next morning we ate at Cascades for breakfast and we highly recommend the blueberry pancakes with Devonshire clotted cream. The best breakfast I have had anywhere. After breakfast my husband and I enjoyed the gift shop and sadly it was time to check out. We are already planning a longer return visit to the Stanley. It has it all, romance, mystery, ghosts and history..

Room Tip: Ask for a haunted room on the 4th floor, you won't be disappointed. Room 428 faces the mountain...
  • Stayed: October 2012, traveled as a couple
Matthew_Lauzon, Manager at Stanley Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded October 16, 2012

I'm glad you have a great adventurous spirit! The room you were in is definitely one of the best on our propertty and is also known for lots of "activity". It makes me proud to know that our staff was able to exceed your expectations, especially based on your intial hesitation due to mixed reviews. We are ready to host you again- keep your eye out for our fall and winter specials! Thank you again!

Write a ReviewReviews (2,616)

Reviewed October 11, 2012

When you stay at the Stanley Hotel you can't help but feel the presence of the past, so be prepared! Getting past that, the views are incredible and service very good. Dinner at the Cascades restaurant was excellent. Lots of folks come to the hotel just for a visit and history and ghost tours, so the lobby gets a bit overrun at times. The "Lodge" next door, also part of the Stanley, is a more peaceful environment with a delicious continental breakfast included.

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled on business

Thank you for your recent visit to our little town! I have to agree with you whole heartedly that our food is great and the Lodge is a nice peaceful option. I am pleased that our staff was able to exceed your expectations and turn this into a great memory!

Reviewed October 11, 2012

We spent three days and two nights at the Stanley Hotel for a business meeting. We had a room on the second floor and it was convenient to everything. The hotel has been around for over 100 years and is still in beautiful condition. The wood floors creak on occasion but that is a part of the charm.

Our room had a Queen bed and it was firm and comfortable. We did notice some sound coming from below our room and discovered that we were over the gift shop. Fortunately it closed before we went to bed. The flat panel television in the wardrobe had one channel that played The Shining continually throughout the day.Don't worry, this is not the actual hotel from The Shining movie. Although the Shining hotel was supposed to be in Colorado, the Stanley is only a couple of hundred yards from the town main street. There is a grocery store nearby and plenty of restaurants. Unlike Jack, you will not be isolated.

There are ghost tours available and tours of the grounds and hotel too. There is always plenty to do in Estes Park.

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled on business

Thank you for your feedback, hopefully you had some free time during your conference to enjoy the area! We certainly appreciate yours, and your company's business. Hopefully, we will be able to play host for a leisure weekend in the future!

Reviewed October 9, 2012

We spent 3 nights at this fabulous old hotel at the beginning of Oct. 2012. We explored, took the Ghost Tour, ate in the restaurant, just had an all around grand time. I felt very welcomed by the hotel. It's a totally cool place and I thoroughly enjoyed being there. I learned a lot on the tour. Many things I never knew about the story, The Shining. You might be surprised too. I recommend it. It's a good time.

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled with family

I am thrilled that you had a great time here- you certainly stayed busy around our property! Thank you so much for your business, we look forward to hosting you again!

Reviewed October 7, 2012

The Stanley was a very pleasant surprise. Mixed Tripadvisor reviews made me expect a grand old hotel that was losing the race against time. I stayed at a wonderful treasure on the upswing. My room was in the newly renovated Lodge, which is a smaller building directly next door to the main hotel. It is appropriate to describe the renovation as upmarket.

Yes, the wood floors still squeak beneath the carpets in the halls; the sound-proofing between rooms isn’t the best; and there is no air-conditioning. However, everything is freshly painted; carpets, drapes, furniture and bath fixtures are brand new and everything seemed to be in a state of good repair. The pillow-top mattress was a dream and the bed linens were from the “luxury linens” department. The Lodge’s free continental breakfast was quite good, far, far better than free breakfasts at Hampton or Holiday Express.

The public areas of both the hotel and the Lodge are grand and well cared for. The restaurant served me a very good half chicken prepared and served in a way that demonstrates the chef is well aware of the food revolution that has swept most of the country. It isn’t “fine dining” in the San Francisco sense, but it is a good food, well prepared and served with finesse.

My only complaint was a front desk clerk that processed me efficiently, but demonstrated not one iota of hospitality or welcome. The young woman was just handing out keys and swiping credit cards. All the other staff I encountered were great.

I LOVE the lodges of the national parks and it is appropriate to group the Stanley with them, even though it isn't technically a national park lodge. The other lodges are wonderful architectural treasures, but I always leave wishing someone would invest real money in them and also give them some love. The Stanley is those wishes come true. Whoever owns it is spending money wisely and well. That said, the restoration is incomplete. So, if you plan to go in the near future, spring for a Lodge room. It’s worth it. Importantly, everything else (literally everything) in town is a motel- in the pejorative sense of the word.

If you love historic hotels set amidst nature’s majesty, do stay at the Stanley. It isn’t the Meurice in Paris, but it is an American treasure that offers wonderful insight into travel 100 years ago, updated for the 21st century.

Room Tip: Spend the money for a newly renovated room. Queen rooms are on the small side of average size, but...
  • Stayed: October 2012, traveled solo
1  Thank Tom2592

I appreciate you taking the time to provide great feedback regarding our property and the surrounding area. We have made some great improvements, and the Lodge is definitely one of them! We are constantly trying to improve, and can assure that more plans will be in the future! Thank you for your business.

Reviewed October 7, 2012

We so enjoyed our time at The Stanley. The hotel is so beautiful and we had our share of creepy experiences for sure! We stayed on the fourth floor..which does get very warm but cozy. The staff is amazing..very fun to talk to and always making sure you are taken care of. We did the Ghost Hunt - we lucked out the tickets were available - and it was so interesting. I loved hearing all the stories especially ghost stories - I love that sort of stuff. Go with an open mind and just enjoy!

Room Tip: If you are going to go to the Stanley - and enjoy ghosts - stay in one of the haunted rooms or the 4...
  • Stayed: June 2012, traveled as a couple
Matthew_Lauzon, Manager at Stanley Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded October 11, 2012

Thank you for your feedback! Yes, it does get a little warm in the summer, but being on the top floor does allow for a nice breeze to blow through. Our tour staff does a fantastic job keeping the show interesting and fun! We hope to play your host in the near future!

Reviewed October 6, 2012

My husband and I closed our getawayfromthekidsvacation in Rocky Mountain National Park with a night at the Stanley Hotel. This is now easily on my top 5 favorite hotel list!
Let me start with saying that this hotel is beautiful! It has been kept up immaculately. Many of the historical hotels I stay at tend to look a little ragged around the edges and a bit of a compromise to stay at. This place looked like it must have the day it opened!! Gorgeous!!
We arrived at the hotel about 3 hours before check in and asked to check in a little early. We were told the room wasnt quite ready, but they put it at the top of the list. The fantastically helpful and professional check in girl put our bags in baggage check, and showed us to the bar. No less than 15 minutes later, she walked in, found us at the bar, and let us know our room was ready!
The room itself was a treat! The bed was incredibly comfortable, and I have to say, I enjoyed the 50 inch flat screen tv! The bathroom was a little small, and the shower water never turned scalding hot, but it is an older building, so i'll give it a pass.
We spend most of the afternoon and evening in the bar and on the veranda out front. The bar is superb with a fantastic selection. Our service was top notch. They also give you the freedom to order drinks/food and be served out on the veranda. The veranda is beautiful and really takes you back a century.
The ONLY negative would be the sheer amounts of non-hotel guests in and out until the evening settled in. There are several ghost tours going on and going through the halls. While all the people I ran into were very polite, it was still very busy. However, it settled down once the sun set.
Overall, this place is truly a luxury in the middle of a rugged park, and a wonderful treat and surprise following a week of roughing it. If you are used to Westins/HIltons/etc - this is a step above and will deliver!
ALMOST FORGOT! They show "The Shining" on the hotel channel. We HAD to watch it while there, and it was awesome! (We rean out of time to watch Dumb & Dumber...."

Room Tip: We had a room on the 4th floor and it was very quiet. It was 2 floors above the "haunted room&q...
  • Stayed: September 2012, traveled as a couple

Wow! I am always so proud to hear when our staff goes above and beyond to take care of our guests! The veranda is a tough place to leave, especially when being fed delicious food and drink! Thank you for your great feedback, it really showcases the passion that our staff has. We hope to see you again next year for your "getawayfromthekids" vacation!