“Excellent Hotel and Location”

Murphy's River Lodge
Ranked #6 of 29 Hotels in Estes Park
GreenLeadersBronze level
Reviewed July 8, 2013

We enjoyed our first trip to Estes Park and RMNP last year so much, we decided to come back this year and stay in town instead of on the outskirts. Murphy's River Lodge was the perfect spot! Our room was spacious and quiet, and the king size bed was very comfortable. The continental breakfast started our day off right and we really enjoyed the hot tub after our long hikes in RMNP. Kids really seemed to have a good time in the indoor heated pool. The hotel is just far enough out of town to be away from the hustle and bustle of the charming town's crowded streets, but close enough to walk for great meals, shopping, and mingling. Avid hikers, we enjoyed being able to walk to the Lake Estes area for all the festive July 4th activities and fireworks (another good reason to visit EP). The staff is very friendly. If we return for a third year, this will be our hotel!

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled as a couple
MurphysLodge, Manager at Murphy's River Lodge, responded to this reviewResponded July 9, 2013

Thank you for the great review! I am glad you enjoyed your room and the beds. We get a lot of compliments on our new beds. I am also glad you took sometime to relax in our hot tub and indoor heated pool area and got to enjoy all the shops and restaurants Estes Park has to offer. We look forward to you returning and stay with us again!

There are newer reviews for Murphy's River Lodge

Reviewed July 6, 2013

We traveled to meet our daughter, son-in-law, and infant granddaughter in Estes Park for the wedding of our daughter's medical school pal. We were to be the sitters while the events were happening. Murphy's Lodge people recommended a pair of rooms which were separate, yet shared a lockable door to the outside. Not like a room with a shared door between the rooms, separate doors into each room plus the locking outside door. We could walk between our rooms, put our granddaughter in her bed for naps/the night and have complete privacy for everyone.
The rooms were unique, comfortable, and clean. The staff was very friendly and most helpful. We asked about places to eat and hiking trails. Great recommendations with thorough descriptions.
We were able to walk to town without any trouble.
The continental breakfast was good with some of the best coffee in a normal sized mug I've had in a place that offers 'free' breakfast.
We had rooms on the first floor next to the the river. It gave us perfect white noise listening to the rushing water. Each of our rooms had a door leading to a private deck with a table and 2 chairs. Great place to sit and read between events. There were grills near the outside deck on which we could have grilled dinner.

Room Tip: Call and talk to the desk. With pre planning, they can make good recommendations. Many have outdoo...
  • Stayed: July 2013, traveled with family
2  Thank closch7
MurphysLodge, Manager at Murphy's River Lodge, responded to this reviewResponded July 7, 2013

Thank you for the great review! We are so happy you enjoyed your stay with us. We do have some unique rooms that each have something special about them. We hope you can come back and stay with us again!

Reviewed July 6, 2013 via mobile

When we arrived at Murphy's River Lodge, we felt like we had just been transported to the seventh circle of hell. Herein lies the problem- we were required to book a minimum three night stay at $160 a night. I was relying on TripAdvisor's "good" ratings and tried to keep an open mind given that Estes Park is a tiny tourist-trap of a town, but really, this was about a $49 a night room. As others have stated, it's just a very old motor inn which has been renovated VERY cheaply. Even though the place was remodeled in the past couple of years, the whole place just looks very tired already. The room was just very dark and depressing and despite very good neighbors, noise is an issue. I had hoped that at the very least it would be a decent place to get a good night's rest, but to me the beds weren't comfortable.

I understand management's desire to cut down on waste, but the community soda and shower supplies are kind of gross when you think about what the person before you might have done to them.

Had I payed $49 a night, my review may have been fair/poor instead of terrible, but there is just no way I would consider this place good by ANY stretch of the imagination. We left a day early despite the fact that we had paid so much because it was so disappointing. I have noticed management's habit of responding to negative reviews with their explanations or excuses, and I think they probably would respond to issues if a traveler brought it to their attention, so I guess that's good. All in all I just felt like I was robbed at such a high price for such modest (in my personal opinion- terrible) accomodations. Breakfast was acceptable, so that's good. Overall I wouldn't go anywhere near this place again.

• Stayed: July 2013
3  Thank Annie C
Reviewed July 5, 2013

The Best Location in Estes Park. A quick walk into the middle of the town and a few miles away from the Rocky Mountain National Park. The staff was very accommodating to any of my families needs and the rooms were clean and my wife loved the soft queen size beds. My kids wanted to go to the pool instead of hiking in the park.... We compromised half of the day in the park and the afternoon at the pool when the daily showers arrived! It's also nice to wake up to a and have breakfast waiting for you. Highly recommend the Murphy's River Lodge.

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled with family

Thank you for your great review! I am glad your wife enjoyed the beds, we get a lot of compliments on them. I am happy your children loved our indoor heated pool and our complimentary Continental breakfast is a big hit. We hope you can come back and stay with us soon!

Reviewed July 5, 2013 via mobile

I absolutely LOVED my stay at Murphy's River Lodge! Doug, Annette and Meredith are all very easy to work with and go out of their way to make your stay an awesome one. Rooms are clean, nice amenities and great beds! If you are on the river, you can sleep to its lovely song. Nice pool, hot tub and great continental breakfast! I highly recommend this place!!!

• Stayed: June 2013

Thank you for your great review! I am glad you LOVED your stay with us. Meredith, Doug and I are always happy to help make our guests stay an enjoyable experience. Our river rooms are very popular. We look forward to you staying with us again!

Annette Ypma
Manager

Reviewed July 5, 2013

On our vacation to Rocky Mountain NP, we found this great hotel online; I cannot say enough about the hotel; the online description was accurate and pictures looked like they were taken from our room which was right on the river as advertised. We were a short walk to the center of town with the stop for the free shuttle right across the street from the hotel. You are right on the route to RMNP so it was easy to go into the Park. The management staff was professional, informative, helpful, and a delight to chat with. WE WOULD NOT HESITATE TO STAY THERE AGAIN.

Room Tip: the rooms on the river, we had first floor, there is a second floor set of rooms.
  • Stayed: July 2013, traveled as a couple

Thank you for your great review! Our river rooms are very popular. We are glad you enjoyed your stay with us. We look forward to you coming and staying with us again!

Reviewed July 1, 2013

The property was clean, well manicured. The rooms were large, GREAT beds and very clean. Breakfast was good and offered everything you need. The manager was polite and helpful. The hotel was within walking distance to downtown Estes Park which is great since there is limited parking in town.

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank Amy R
MurphysLodge, Manager at Murphy's River Lodge, responded to this reviewResponded July 4, 2013

Thank you for your great review! We are excited that you enjoyed your stay with us. We have received a lot of compliments on our new beds and our complimentary continental breakfast. We look forward to you coming back and staying with us again!