“Great location”

Ranked #6 of 29 Hotels in Estes Park
GreenLeadersBronze level
“Great location”
Reviewed May 24, 2013

We had a very nice four night stay. Staff is very friendly and helpful, breakfast room airy with all the basics and the location is within walking distance of town restaurants and shopping. Plenty of adequate places to walk our small dog although very strict pet policy. It is a short drive into the park. We had one of the large king rooms with fireplace on the river. There is a large deck off the room. There is a highway behind the river so it detracted from the river experience and the noise from the highway woke us up early each morning although not a problem at night. The mattress needed to be replaced in our room. You could see the indent where people slept. Wish we had noticed it when we checked in because our backs were very sore each morning. Sink rim had a constant leak so unless there was a towel there at all times our things got wet. Our building was motel style with outside entrance. If you want to be upstairs, which we did to avoid overhead noise, luggage needs to be carried up the steps. Guest laundry was very convenient. Recliner in room a plus. Freezer compartment in refrigerator great to have and unusual. Can make a full pot of coffee.

Review collected in partnership with La Quinta

MurphysHotels, Owner at Murphy's River Lodge, responded to this review, June 27, 2014
We have a lot of pride in our River Lodge.
Our staff is awesome. We will have
maintenance check on the leak.
Our mattresses are fairly new so we will check on that.
We have great beds, our intent is for our guests to have a great nights sleep.
We are an older hotel that has been renovated so we do have outside
door entrances. This is the great thing about Estes Park it's charming and
comfortable to be around the old as well as the new. Estes Park does get
busy with lots of visitors and cars do go by our hotel to get to Rocky Mountain
National Park. Most our window have been replaced to help with noise reduction. There is
a walking path or bike path behind the river, this gives and additional way to get to downtown. The sound of the river is very relaxing and one can sit in our klondike chairs or at our picnic tables and enjoy and relax.
We take great pride in our staff and the way they continually keep our property well maintained.
We have a great location.
We hope you stay again.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (452)
Edmond, Oklahoma
Reviewed May 23, 2013

Annually, I have to "get out of Dodge" to (belatedly) work on tax prep, so I had an opportunity on a coupon to stay here for 4 nights. I'd been to EP several times before, so all I needed was a quiet, scenic venue with amenities. I took a riverside unit fully equipped with kitchen, DVD player, wifi, and Fox News. The ground floor unit was perched so close to the river that the roar could put you to sleep with the slider open. Free parking was right outside the door, and an indoor pool nearby. The included continental breakfast was extensive, but I always cooked my own. It seemed to me that the river would support tube-ing, but don't quote me. The owners and staff were very friendly and accommodating, and I wanted for nothing. I had checked out the British DVD mini-series version of "The Shining" (superior to the Nicholson miscarriage) for evening entertainment, because it was filmed in the famous Stanley Hotel right there in EP which I had visited previously. In short, it was an ideal working vacation with off-season peace and quiet, but there's a vast amount of nearby attractions, entertainment, restaurants and outdoor activities in and about EP, but my first choice for an "affordable" family stay would be Murphy's. I may return next year during tax time. Take the riverside units w/ kitchens -- they're worth it.

Room Tip: Ground floor riverside w/ kitchen
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled solo
Boulder, Colorado
Reviewed May 21, 2013

I took my boyfriend up to Estes Park for a quick romantic overnight stay for his 50th birthday. From my very first contact with the folks at Murphy's, the experience was a positive one. First, they said they typically require a two night stay, but they were very willing to work with me since I explained I don't even live that far from Estes Park and shared the reason for wanting only one night. Due the fact that it was a Sunday evening and not a Friday or Saturday, they were willing to allow me the one night's stay which I thought was nice of them. Second, from the minute we signed in until the minute we checked out, all three employees we interacted with were incredibly friendly and down-to-earth. They seemed to genuinely care that we had a pleasant stay. The room was very comfortable and the added touch of a free bottle of wine, plus a free framed photo taken in their over-sized wooden chair (a la Laugh-In) outside the main office was just a fun bonus. The continental breakfast was the usual fare, but was fresh and plentiful. We did not use the pool or hot tub, but the area looked clean and welcoming. The only complaint I had which I shared with the general manager at check out was that the pillow cases and bed sheets were over-bleached and thus had a very chemically smell which was not pleasant to sleep on. He apologized profusely and said that those items are typically not bleached at all, that a different cleaning agent is used specifically to avoid such a situation and that he would talk to the housekeeping employees about it. Again, he seemed to really care about us not being 100% satisfied with your stay, but I assured him that it did not ruin our stay, but was just a friendly suggestion. I would definitely return to Murphy's again.

Room Tip: We paid a bit extra for the room with a fireplace along the river (room 210) and were glad we did.
2 Thank Laurel A
Parker, Colorado
Reviewed May 17, 2013

My husband & I stayed here for a long weekend with our 2 young kids. We loved the room, especially that it had a full kitchen. The indoor heated pool area is a great bonus & the continental breakfast was great! It is walking distance to downtown Estes Park & the staff were very friendly & accomodating. We will definitely stay here again!

Room Tip: Upgrade to a riverside room to really enjoy the sound of nature
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank KellieH235
Denver, Colorado
Reviewed May 17, 2013

Murphy’s river lodge is quite rugged and quaint on the exterior, so I pleasantly surprised to find an updated and very clean interior. The bed was very comfortable and the linens semi-plush. It was obvious that the owners (who were onsite at the time of our stay) took great pride in keeping the lodge immaculate. Our room had a side door and porch which abutted the river. We kept our window open all night, taking advantage of the beautiful white noise and cool breeze it provided. There was a barbeque available for our NY strip and the swimming pool (enclosed and heated) was temperate enough for our infant. The Lodge is far enough from town for it to feel "woodsy", yet close enough to walk if you want to avoid the hassle of finding parking. Overall we enjoyed our stay.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled solo
2 Thank kitnkbudle
Highlands Ranch, Colorado
Reviewed May 16, 2013

My wife and I live in the south Denver metro area, we visit Estes Park frequently, and have experienced a variety of venues there with a wide range of price and quality. At any time of year, Murphy's River Lodge is a jewel in Colorado's mountain crown. If you stay, definitely upgrade to a riverside room with deck. To open your door in the morning to the song of Fall River coursing by is indescribable. The Stanley Hotel may have history and ghosts, but MRL has location, location, location! Three other specifics worth mentioning: The full kitchen was an unexpected benefit, the heating/AC unit (Amana) was the quietest we've encountered in numerous hotels and motels, and the continental breakfast was first-rate. The staff were especially kind and accommodating. We will definitely be repeaters.

Room Tip: Definitely upgrade to a riverside room with deck.
2 Thank Philoctetes3
Aurora, CO
Reviewed May 15, 2013

My husband and I recently stayed at Murphy's River Lodge for the weekend with our 3 young children. The room was very nice and had everything we needed, including a full kitchen, We were right on the river which we all loved. The kids really enjoyed the pool also. Our favorite part of the stay was the incredible staff! Everyone was so friendly, offering our kids snacks and helping with everything we needed. We will be back! The only bad thing I have to say is that someone needs to take a lesson in hard boiling eggs, the hard boiled eggs at breakfast were impossilbe to peel!

• Stayed May 2013, traveled with family