“What a great place to escape to!”

Murphy's River Lodge
Ranked #7 of 29 Hotels in Estes Park
GreenLeadersBronze level
Reviewed May 23, 2013

Annually, I have to "get out of Dodge" to (belatedly) work on tax prep, so I had an opportunity on a coupon to stay here for 4 nights. I'd been to EP several times before, so all I needed was a quiet, scenic venue with amenities. I took a riverside unit fully equipped with kitchen, DVD player, wifi, and Fox News. The ground floor unit was perched so close to the river that the roar could put you to sleep with the slider open. Free parking was right outside the door, and an indoor pool nearby. The included continental breakfast was extensive, but I always cooked my own. It seemed to me that the river would support tube-ing, but don't quote me. The owners and staff were very friendly and accommodating, and I wanted for nothing. I had checked out the British DVD mini-series version of "The Shining" (superior to the Nicholson miscarriage) for evening entertainment, because it was filmed in the famous Stanley Hotel right there in EP which I had visited previously. In short, it was an ideal working vacation with off-season peace and quiet, but there's a vast amount of nearby attractions, entertainment, restaurants and outdoor activities in and about EP, but my first choice for an "affordable" family stay would be Murphy's. I may return next year during tax time. Take the riverside units w/ kitchens -- they're worth it.

Room Tip: Ground floor riverside w/ kitchen
  • Stayed: May 2013, traveled solo

Reviewed May 21, 2013

I took my boyfriend up to Estes Park for a quick romantic overnight stay for his 50th birthday. From my very first contact with the folks at Murphy's, the experience was a positive one. First, they said they typically require a two night stay, but they were very willing to work with me since I explained I don't even live that far from Estes Park and shared the reason for wanting only one night. Due the fact that it was a Sunday evening and not a Friday or Saturday, they were willing to allow me the one night's stay which I thought was nice of them. Second, from the minute we signed in until the minute we checked out, all three employees we interacted with were incredibly friendly and down-to-earth. They seemed to genuinely care that we had a pleasant stay. The room was very comfortable and the added touch of a free bottle of wine, plus a free framed photo taken in their over-sized wooden chair (a la Laugh-In) outside the main office was just a fun bonus. The continental breakfast was the usual fare, but was fresh and plentiful. We did not use the pool or hot tub, but the area looked clean and welcoming. The only complaint I had which I shared with the general manager at check out was that the pillow cases and bed sheets were over-bleached and thus had a very chemically smell which was not pleasant to sleep on. He apologized profusely and said that those items are typically not bleached at all, that a different cleaning agent is used specifically to avoid such a situation and that he would talk to the housekeeping employees about it. Again, he seemed to really care about us not being 100% satisfied with your stay, but I assured him that it did not ruin our stay, but was just a friendly suggestion. I would definitely return to Murphy's again.

Room Tip: We paid a bit extra for the room with a fireplace along the river (room 210) and were glad we did.
  • Stayed: May 2013, traveled as a couple
2  Thank Laurel A
Reviewed May 17, 2013

My husband & I stayed here for a long weekend with our 2 young kids. We loved the room, especially that it had a full kitchen. The indoor heated pool area is a great bonus & the continental breakfast was great! It is walking distance to downtown Estes Park & the staff were very friendly & accomodating. We will definitely stay here again!

Room Tip: Upgrade to a riverside room to really enjoy the sound of nature
  • Stayed: May 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank KellieH235
Reviewed May 17, 2013

Murphy’s river lodge is quite rugged and quaint on the exterior, so I pleasantly surprised to find an updated and very clean interior. The bed was very comfortable and the linens semi-plush. It was obvious that the owners (who were onsite at the time of our stay) took great pride in keeping the lodge immaculate. Our room had a side door and porch which abutted the river. We kept our window open all night, taking advantage of the beautiful white noise and cool breeze it provided. There was a barbeque available for our NY strip and the swimming pool (enclosed and heated) was temperate enough for our infant. The Lodge is far enough from town for it to feel "woodsy", yet close enough to walk if you want to avoid the hassle of finding parking. Overall we enjoyed our stay.

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled solo
2  Thank kitnkbudle
Reviewed May 16, 2013

My wife and I live in the south Denver metro area, we visit Estes Park frequently, and have experienced a variety of venues there with a wide range of price and quality. At any time of year, Murphy's River Lodge is a jewel in Colorado's mountain crown. If you stay, definitely upgrade to a riverside room with deck. To open your door in the morning to the song of Fall River coursing by is indescribable. The Stanley Hotel may have history and ghosts, but MRL has location, location, location! Three other specifics worth mentioning: The full kitchen was an unexpected benefit, the heating/AC unit (Amana) was the quietest we've encountered in numerous hotels and motels, and the continental breakfast was first-rate. The staff were especially kind and accommodating. We will definitely be repeaters.

Room Tip: Definitely upgrade to a riverside room with deck.
  • Stayed: May 2013, traveled as a couple
2  Thank Philoctetes3
Reviewed May 15, 2013

My husband and I recently stayed at Murphy's River Lodge for the weekend with our 3 young children. The room was very nice and had everything we needed, including a full kitchen, We were right on the river which we all loved. The kids really enjoyed the pool also. Our favorite part of the stay was the incredible staff! Everyone was so friendly, offering our kids snacks and helping with everything we needed. We will be back! The only bad thing I have to say is that someone needs to take a lesson in hard boiling eggs, the hard boiled eggs at breakfast were impossilbe to peel!

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank Laura V
Reviewed May 15, 2013

We stayed at Murphy's River Lodge in the fall with our three small girls. While I am generally one to stay only at a well-known chain and prefer hotel-style to motel-style lodging, I was quite pleasantly surprised with our stay. After reading lots of great reviews, we booked here and we felt so welcomed by the manager, Bruce - he made a point of talking to our little girls every morning and offering them a snack of cookies or animal crackers, etc. to take along each day after breakfast. If we had any questions as to what trails were open in the park, he would call and find out for us. Breakfast was good for us...our girls enjoyed the hot chocolate as the mornings were quite chilly. There were games available for use in the dining area, though we did not use them because our kids are so small. We were there in the fall and no one else was there swimming, so Bruce would uncover the pool just for us so that our family could swim. The room we were in was just a basic two queen room, but it had a refrigerator, microwave, and DVD player in it. They also have free movies to borrow in their office, so on a 30 deg. night it was the perfect thing for us to do - borrow a couple movies and have a cozy night in the well-kept room. There were rooms with hot tubs and/or fireplaces and rooms that were more condo-style, but with little ones, we opted for the basic room. We would love to try one with a fireplace or one on the river sometime! The location was fine for us - it was on the edge of town and a bit far for us to walk to get into town with three little ones and how chilly it was, but we prefer to be a little removed from the hustle and bustle of town anyway. For someone without small children, the walk would be nice. The lodge is an older motel that has been renovated, it appeared, but it was done nicely and served us well. We would definitely consider Murphy's River Lodge again if we go back to Estes Park, which we do plan to do. For the price and the unique amenities offered, it is a great place for a family to stay. Thanks for your hospitality, Bruce!

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled with family