“If you need a nice motel”

Murphy's River Lodge
Ranked #7 of 29 Hotels in Estes Park
GreenLeadersBronze level
Reviewed October 2, 2012

If you are judging this based on motel quality I would say this is absolutely above average. We were in the double queen value room by the road so I can only comment on that room as they do have nicer rooms. The positives were: even though we were by the road I heard no road noise at all, there were ample plugs available but one did not work, the room was HUGE…lots of space, 2 beds, a couch, a work desk and a medium size refrigerator and microwave, large flat screen TV, very clean and nice linens on the bed, free continental breakfast was very nice and the guy who was caring for it was very informative and nice to talk to. It was your basics…pastries, bagels, milk, cereal, OJ…but was filling and quite adequate. Negatives for me: the bed was uncomfortable. It was very hard and both my friend and I (in separate beds) woke up with bad backs so it wasn’t just me. It’s actually the one thing that turned me off to rebooking. Oddities and things to watch for: If you want a river view make sure you book one. You can walk down to the river if you don’t have one but I felt like I was intruding on the space of the people who had river front rooms. The thermostat in our room was behind the TV and we could not find it the first night and it was pretty cold but once we found it the room headed quite nicely. The bathroom and shower area were separate which I can see might be an advantage to a family but I found it made both rooms very small and cramped. If you need space for toiletries (the sink area is very small) you can put them under the sink which seemed clean and also the shower had a lot of hand rails (it was an ADA room I think) and we put shampoo etc on the bars. Also they do not have separate shower amenities like shampoo. It is provided in a pump on the wall so if you like shampoo in bottles or a real bar of soap (not bath gel in a pump) make sure you bring some with you. Overall the staff was very nice and the property was well maintained and clean. The location is good and I would say you could walk into town if you wanted to. It’s a short drive to the shops. It was right off the road but it was very quiet. Be aware it is more of a higher class motel and not a resort and I think you won’t be disappointed. Free wireless was nice.

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled with friends

Reviewed October 1, 2012

It's unusual for me to stay any place but chain hotels, and so I wasn't certain about this place, but we ended up liking it very much! Rooms were spacious, clean, and nicely updated. The location was fantastic because it was an easy walk into the downtown area so we didn't have to worry about parking. I think the price was reasonable for the area. The staff was extremely helpful anytime I had a question. They had a whole wall of free DVDs to check out (with a good selection for kids), and we ended up using that each night. The breakfast had a good variety of options, and the breakfast room was large enough to seat a lot of people. The rooms are 100% smoke free, so we didn't have to worry about getting a room that smelled like smoke. One reason I booked here was the indoor pool, though we didn't actually end up using it. I liked that the soap and shampoo are all in large dispensers so they aren't wasting all those little bottles like most hotels do. The only minor issue was that noise did seem to travel a bit and we could hear people in the next room over. The main source seemed to be from the adjoining door, so not sure if that could be made a little more soundproof? Anyway, it wasn't too much of an issue for us but might be a problem for a super light sleeper who needs complete silence. If we are back in the area we would be very likely to stay here again.

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled with family
Reviewed October 1, 2012

Had booked a room above the office but the desk attendent upgraded us to a riverside room at no additional charge. The room was pleasant but a bit odd with the small sink actually located in the sleep quarters. Bed was comfortable and pillows excellent. Was lulled to sleep each of three evenings by the sound of the river meandering past. Houskeeping was a bit spotty missing several things daily but not a huge issue. The motel is actually in a perfect location about 2 blocks and easy walking distance from downtown and all it's bar and restaurant options. Did not use the pool but several familys with children seemed to be enjoying themselves. Only used the continental breakfast on our final day since we were typically in the park at first light. That was a somewhat souring event since the owner or his breakfast set-up person seemed to share his rather ignorant political views in a running dialog with the CNN host. Kind of strange that anyone in the hospitality industry would openly spout their political views understanding that 50% of the population is going to disagree or hold an opposing viewpoint. Either way, would book her again since the location is absolutely perfect.

Reviewed October 1, 2012

We stayed in an upstairs room above the office. It was very nicely done, clean, and even had a balcony overlooking the river. The breakfast was good, nice pool and hot tub. Great service! The only thing I might mention is that the sink was outside of the bathroom in the main area and it could have used a table or something next to it to place one's makeup bag, etc. We would stay at Murphy's River Lodge next time we are in Estes Park.

• Stayed: June 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed September 30, 2012

We stayed 4 nights and found the rooms to be clean and spacious. The river running lulled us to sleep! It was great. The staff was very helpful and friendly. Breakfast was good, and the views are super as well. We will go back when we get the chance.

Room Tip: Be sure to get a room right by the river!
Reviewed September 29, 2012

Stayed here for 3 nights in September. Would have stayed longer if we were able. Large room with fireplace, lots of parking, great breakfast, friendly staff and fast wifi. What more is needed? If we visit Estes Park again we will stay here.

Stayed: September 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed September 28, 2012

This is a very old motel that has been remodeled. The bed is very good, but the plumbing needs to be replaced. The shower does the hot and freezing cold thing. the electric also needs to be upgraded. When I turned on my hairdryer the llights dimmed, and my hairdryer was not running at proper speed. The river behind the motel is nice, but they are building condos directly across the river, thus ruining the effect. The continental breakfast was very good, and the place is immaculate.