“Nice hotel and great location, a little pricey”

Murphy's River Lodge
Ranked #7 of 28 Hotels in Estes Park
GreenLeadersBronze level
Reviewed July 5, 2011

I stayed in this hotel during the 4th of July weekend with my boyfriend. I was in a wedding so there was no choice in not going here for this particular weekend. The location of the hotel is a couple blocks away from the main touristy strip in Estes Park, which was convient to find a website for a quick yummy lunch before running off to the next wedding commitment. The rooms are really nice and very true to the pictures that are posted on the Expedia website. The rooms (at least the standard king room we stayed in) was very large, had a very comfy bed and a flat screen tv that was a decent size. There is a river that runs right next the hotel, which provides a nice peaceful sound to fall asleep to with the windows open at night. There is A/C in the hotel, but windows in the bedroom and bathroom opened to provide a nice breeze. It also had a mini-fridge and microwave. There was also a free breakfest that we ate at once. The breakfest consisted of cereal, toast, bagles, bananas, apples, milk, juice and coffee. There were tea bags, but I couldn't find any hot water. So basically, the breakfest wasn't anything special, but works for a quick bit in the morning. There is a swimming pool, but I didn't even look at it, so I have no opinion of it, but it was inside. There was also some grills on the property and some nice benches under the shade of trees, which could provide a nice place to relax.

The room was a little pricey for what you get, but it was the 4th of July weekend so there weren't any screamin' deals. It was about $300 total for 2 nights, so it isn't cheap. This hotel fell into the mid-range for prices. I typically never go for the cheapest hotels and tend to go for those in the middle. There was a two night minimum stay, which worked out okay for me since that is how many nights I needed any ways. I would recommend this hotel, but I would avoid going to Estes Park during the 4th of July if you can avoid it...tons of tourist and awful traffic! I would go as far as saying worse than Breckenridge, Colorado (which I leave close to).

• Stayed: July 2011, traveled as a couple
Write a ReviewReviews (1,256)

Reviewed July 3, 2011

Had a great time. The lodge was neat, felt cozy like home, comfy beds and pillows. Could hear the creek nearby out the window. The combo of all of this had me sleeping like a baby. In walking distance to town. Was the perfect peaceful weekend getaway I was looking for! Would highly suggest!

• Stayed: May 2011, traveled with friends
Reviewed July 1, 2011

The facility was nice. However, the big bang at the resort was the staff. Friendly, and pleasant. We arrived 2 stay 1 night and move on and ended up staying 3 nights. Would have stayed longer, however, our vaction time was coming 2 a close. We will be back ASAP.

• Stayed: July 2011, traveled as a couple
1  Thank sissy221
Reviewed June 30, 2011

The front desk was very friendly. She made several great suggestions on places to eat with small children and things to do when the weather was getting nasty in the mountains. The rooms were nicely decorated and very clean. The pool/hot tub is wonderful. They even had toys for the kids to play with in the pool. I will defintely stay here again and tell my friends/family about this place.

• Stayed: June 2011, traveled with family
1  Thank sheppj01
Reviewed June 29, 2011

First time spending the night in Estes so we really can't make an honest comparison to other area hotels. But I can tell you that I at least expected our room to be mouse proof. Their remodeling starting with hammering outside our room at 7 am, didn't matter much though as the blinds in the room let the rising sun in my eyes! Rooms were clean and nice bed. Will try some place different next time.

• Stayed: June 2011
Reviewed June 26, 2011

We stayed here for our 25th Anniversary. A beautiful place to stay with an awesome backdrop of the Rocky Mountains! Walking distance to downtown.

• Stayed: June 2011, traveled as a couple
Reviewed June 26, 2011

Pros -- right on the river. We opened the window and slept to the sound of the river! Some rooms have great decks overlooking the river. Great bedding. Nice towels. Room is very spacious. Refrigerator in room. Sensible policy on housekeeping -- if you ask for it they will do it but only if you ask. The place was full most nights we were there but we did not hear any noise from neighbors. Setting is wonderful. It is on the edge of town -- close enough to walk downtown if you wish.
Cons -- wifi is spotty at best. Signs addressing different transgressions in office, pool and breakfast room. Pool cleaning equipment left in pool one day. Bathroom was VERY SMALL which wouldn't be an issue if there were better places to hang towels to dry. If they are full parking is challenging. Mostly because people did not park straight for parked too far apart . Some lines on the lot would help.

• Stayed: June 2011, traveled as a couple