“Snow Shoeing in Rocky Mt. National Park”
Review of River Spruce

We can't find prices for this accommodation
River Spruce
Reviewed February 27, 2012

I've stayed at many lodges and cabins over the years while visiting Estes Park, CO. I found the River Spruce to be the best by far. Our cabin was spotless, everything worked--especially the heater and it was right on the river. In addition, all of my phone calls prior to our stay were returned promptly. We also asked for and were granted a late check-out. Now here's the kicker. On Saturday morning Wendy, one of the owners, hand delivered hot homemade coffee cake to our door. And WHOA, was it ever good!
We'll be back.

Room Tip: Try to get a cabin on the river.
  • Stayed: February 2012, traveled as a couple
shllpwrs, Owner at River Spruce, responded to this reviewResponded September 9, 2012

Thanks for the wonderful review! However, you have to come back if you think Wendy's coffee cake was good...mines even better:)

Reviewed January 12, 2012

My husband and I, our daughter, son-in-law and his dad, and our three grandchildren rented Tom Tom and Namaqua in July 2011. We had an absolutely wonderful trip. When I asked my grandchildren 4,9 & 11 yrs old what was the better vacation... Disneyworld or Colorado, they couldn't decide. They were totally content shooting rocks across the river with a slingshot they purchased at a gift shop and hanging out in the hot tub or sitting by the fire. We also went horseback riding, 4 wheeling and rafting. Shelly and Wendy were wonderful. We are planning a return trip the summer of 2013. If we lived closer I would stay at River Spruce often. We are from Southeast Texas so it is a long drive but we will be back!

• Stayed: July 2011, traveled with family
Reviewed November 20, 2011

My best friend and I traveled to Estes Park in late October for a getaway. After lots of searching, we settled on River Spruce. Ohhh my God, we could not have picked a better place!! I fell in love the moment we drove up. Wendye and Shelley are the most wonderful hostesses. They are so friendly, personable, sweet, and helpful. We left feeling like good friends, not just customers. The cabins are situated in the absolutely most perfect setting. I couldn't have asked for more.....quaint and cozy cabins right on the rushing river, with benches, trees, and wildlife everywhere. It was absolutely beautiful! We were lucky enough to have arrived right after a fresh snow, so I can't even describe the beauty of it all. Each morning, the girls deliver fresh baked goodies for breakfast, and they are delicious. :-) The hot tub at night, in the cold, was awesome! I cannot wait to go back and will recommend River Spruce as often as I can, to as many people as I can. Beautiful place, beautiful hosts, beautiful memories! Thank you, River Spruce girls! :-)

• Stayed: October 2011, traveled with friends
1  Thank AndiCC
Reviewed October 24, 2011

This was the perfect place for us to stay. The cabin was clean and comfortable and we enjoyed spending time relaxing by the river, using the grill and enjoying the warmth and glow of the campfire. Wendye and Shelley were very helpful and welcoming and dropped off fresh baked goods each morning. The cabin was close to town and to Rocky Mountain National Park. We very much enjoyed our stay.

• Stayed: August 2011, traveled with family
Reviewed September 19, 2011

After a day of hiking in Rocky Mountain National Park, nothing could be better than a hot tub on the deck next to the raging Big Thompson River. The cabins are rustic, not fancy, and spotless. The greeting is always warm and we feel welcome as old friends (which I guess we are, since we come back to River Spruce over and over and over). The sound of the river outside the window is beautiful music for sleep. The fresh, homemade muffins delivered to your door in the morning, priceless. My only complaint: our favorite cabin (Tom Tom) isn't always available at our beck and call; if it was, I'd be there all the time.

Room Tip: Tom Tom and Lochleven have private hot tubs.
  • Stayed: August 2011, traveled as a couple
1  Thank MattfromDenver77
shllpwrs, Owner at River Spruce, responded to this reviewResponded September 29, 2011

You guys are wonderful! Thank you for the kind words and it's always fun to have you return!

Reviewed September 9, 2011

This is the perfect get-away. Listening to the river through the night and watching the birds and wildlife help make River Spruce enchanting. The cabin was spotless. Everything we needed in the kitchen was there. The owners greet every request with a smile and make their guest comfortable on every level. The attention to detail is amazing with flowers, stones, and seating areas arranged for maximum enjoyment.

Room Tip: clean, comfortable, relaxing
  • Stayed: September 2011, traveled with family

Thanks for noticing the landscape Lynn! Neither Wendye or I are master gardeners and it takes a special effort to keep the flowers going:) We'd love to have you return anytime....

Reviewed August 3, 2011

My husband and I stayed here on the first leg of a two-week fly fishing trip through Colorado and Wyoming. It was the perfect place for us to aclimate to the altitude difference after arriving from eastern Pennsylvania. Our cabin was cute and had all the amenities we needed or could want. The hot tub outside the door was super clean and wonderful, and it was fun to watch the hummingbirds compete at the feeder just a few feet away. The sound of the Big Thompson River flowing past less than 10 yards from the front door lulled us to sleep every night on the very comfortable bed. One very good restaurant (The Dunraven Inn) is located close by with many more to be found in downtown Estes Park. And who needed breakfast when our hosts provided a daily morning "goody-basket" of warm, sweet treats right outside our door! Shelley and Wendye have succeeded in creating a charming little world at River Spruce where one can definitely escape from the pressures of life. And River Spruce's proximity to Rocky Mountain National Park makes it the perfect place to stay if you want to experience multiple days of exploring all that the Park has to offer - regardless of which season you're there!
Thanks gals, for sharing your little gem of a resort with us. We'll definitely be back some day . . . soon!
Cindy and Fred

Room Tip: the website provides very accurate pictures of the property and cabins - both inside and outside.
  • Stayed: July 2011, traveled as a couple

Thanks Fred and Cindy for the glowing review! We're glad you enjoyed the hot tub and pastries. You must not have been here while we were experimenting with the treats:)