“Phenomenal experience!”

National Park Gateway Stables
More attraction details
Owner description: Saddle up with our horses and guide as we ride through the scenic trails and meadows in the Colorado Rockies. We offer a range of tours from a two-hour ride which includes beautiful points of interest like Fall River, Hidden Meadow and the enchanting Horseshoe Park. Along with four and six-hour tours, we also offer a full-day experience for the most adventurous spirits that explores the Roaring River, Ypsilon Lake and the historic Lawn Lake. Bring snacks and water for the ride, or join us for our Dinner Ride which includes a ride through Rocky Mountain National Park and a dinner at the Trailhead Restaurant. As part of a family business with over 40 years of experience, we pride ourselves on the care and love we have for our horses, these mountains and your safety and experience. Join us soon for a unique western adventure soon!
Reviewed July 27, 2013 via mobile

What a perfect ending to a perfect vacation. My husband & I took our 5 & 11 year-old girls on a 2 hour ride (both had never ridden before) and it was the highlight of our trip. Our guide, Zoe, was awesome! She really took care of us. She make sure we were having fun, caring for our horses correctly, and that our girls were safe. We will definitely be going back...& for a longer ride!

1  Thank EmKem

Reviewed July 26, 2013

A wonderful 2 hour ride with the Owen leading our group, a natural on the horse, he made everyone feel confident so that we were able to fully enjoy the scenery. Will go back, and will plan a longer ride.....this is the way to visit the park!!!

Reviewed July 25, 2013

This was a highlight of our trip. We did the 4 hour ride with Owen, who was very very knowledgable. It was a fantastic perspective to be on horseback to view the park. We will definitely remember many of the things we learned as well as the scenery we were able to view. We would recommend this activity for anyone. Admittedly anything longer than 4 hours would cause some serious soreness for those not used to being on horseback...

Reviewed July 25, 2013

I took my twin 9 year olds on their first ride. I had ridden when I was much younger, but it has been awhile.

Our guide was terrific, very upbeat, energetic and friendly.

My kids' horses were just fine - relaxed and calm. Mine was, well, a bit finicky. He wanted to stop and just take a look around once in awhile. I had to give him a little enticement to move, on too many occasions. He also was the only horse who tried to eat the grass, which is not a good thing for stable horses. The trail at times is deep and narrow with a lot of fairly large rocks, so the horses are constantly having to pick their way through. He tripped several times, one time it really spooked me because there are serious down slopes on the trails. I swear his chin nearly hit the ground - but I stayed on. Oh, and he must have successfully swiped someone off in the past because he tried frequently to walk close to trees. Thankfully I had ridden before and knew how to remind the horse who's in charge. But there were a few close calls.

I'm certain it's the luck of the draw on the exact day, time and number of rides the horse has been on - it is a living being - so I would not categorize this as an issue for the stable. As I said, my kids' horses were terrific, they just followed the guide with no trouble at all. My son was in a cast (on his arm) and had no trouble whatsoever.

I have to say that my kids would have ridden for hours more. I, on the other hand, was happy to see the corral at the end of the 2 hours.

I would ride there again and would recommend this stable - and I hope your guide has the same enthusiasm ours had!

1  Thank Bruce_411
Reviewed July 24, 2013

We went on the two hour ride. The first hour was amazing with beautiful views but on the second hour, we were hit with a terrible lightning storm in the mountains. We were at the top of the mountains with lightning hitting everywhere. We were very frightened. There should be some kind of provision set up to get riders off the trails in this situation. The guide was great and patient with our fears, but I feel this was a dangerous situation. The storm lasted the whole day, but we were told on the trail the storms in the mountain only last 5-10 minutes. My horse was wonderful and well taken care of. I would definitely ride with NPGS again, but would make sure to make reservations in the morning to avoid the afternoon storms.

1  Thank got2getaway4