“Best Place in Estes - Great for the Family”
Review of Sombrero Ranch

Sombrero Ranch
More attraction details
Owner description: Attraction, Activity
Reviewed April 19, 2010

You have not really been to Estes Park if you have not taken a ride at Sombrero. It's a family owned institution. Everyone is friendly and professional, and the ride is a slice of heaven. Highly recommended.

2  Thank 20InMyShoe

Reviewed April 19, 2010

I went on a ride in Estes park with my 5 year old daughter and enjoyed every minute of it. I have been around horses for 30 years and completely understand there are always risks involved, however, the horses at Sombrero Ranches are some of the best behaved I have come across. The staff I spoke to all seemed competent the two guides that took us out were very knowledgable. The views of Estes Park were fantastic and we enjoyed what our guide had to tell us about the surrounding area. We were lucky enough to see some deer and I would recommend this experience to both experienced and inexperienced horseback riders.

2  Thank Zoe S
Reviewed March 7, 2010

I must say Sombrero Ranch in Estes Park was a BLAST!! My boyfriend and I live in the Denver area, and decided to take a day trip to the Ranch; we did the breakfast ride that starts at 7:30 am. You ride for two hours then come back to the ranch where our guide and another man at the ranch cooked us a delish breakfast (eggs, sausage, pancakes, OJ, coffee). Our guides name was Levi, and we could not have asked for a better guide. He was upbeat, social, fun and safe. At times during our ride he took us off trail where the horses walked in deep snow. He was also concerned with our needs such as if we wanted to stay in the sun more versus the shade. The horses were also perfect, there was not one issue. The horses listened, and stuck close to together. We are both beginner/never rides and this was the perfect experience. We would defiantly recommend Sombrero Ranch, and we plan on going back to the ranch for the dinner ride in the summer.

Brittany and Mike

2  Thank BrittyRyan
Reviewed January 27, 2010

We visited in the spring of 2009. My husband, son, and I took a 1 hour trail ride. My husband and son rode double as he is very young, and I had my own horse. We ofcourse were asked to sign a liability waiver and were offered helmets for our safety. My husband and I have limited riding experience, but we paid attention and followed our guides instructions closely. I felt very comfortable with our guide, she was great and an EMT which made me feel better. Our horses knew the trail very well and think they could have walked them in their sleep. However, there were some areas that made me nervous (keep in mind this is mountain terrain!) and my horse did brush me up against a tree on a narrow part of the trail. I was not hurt. This is definately an at your own risk activity. Many variables including which guide you get, rider experience, how closely you follow instructions, your horse, etc. I can see where people get hurt and some areas of dissatisfaction. Customer service could improve greatly! Thank goodness we lucked out with a great guide but could see how this would easily turn into a bad situation. Just keep in mind these are work animals and can be spooked, as any horse. Evaluate your risks! Will I return? Probally not. Would I recommend it? Yes, if you are willing to assume the risk involved. The scenery is breathtaking!

1  Thank kscrazies
Reviewed November 29, 2009

A friend and I took a 3 hour ride with Sombrero whilst visiting Estes Park last week. I have nothing but praise for our guide, Levi, who was absolutely fantastic - fun but conscientious - neither I nor my friend were experienced riders, but with his guidance and encouragement, we had no problems with the ride despite snow and icy conditions in parts. The scenery was beautiful, and all seemed well organised at the ranch. I am surprised to hear about the previous experiences - whilst these may have made me reconsider, I am glad that we went ahead with the ride.

3  Thank ScottishCN