“Great afternoon fly-fishing”

Kirks Flyshop & Mountain Adventures
Ranked #6 of 51 Shopping in Estes Park
More attraction details
Owner description: We are a family owned and operated, full pro-line fly shop & mountain adventure company, located in beautiful Estes Park, Colorado, gateway to Rocky Mountain National Park. Offering Guided Fly Fishing Day Trips, Private Water Trips, Overnight Backpacking Trips, Horseback & Llama Pack Trips, Day Hikes, Longs Peak Trips, Snowshoe Trips and more in Rocky Mountain National Park and the surrounding Estes Valley.
Useful Information: Bathroom facilities, Lockers / storage, Activities for older children
Reviewed July 27, 2014

I spent a great afternoon last Tuesday, July 22nd, with guide Nic P. from Kirk's Flyshop in Estes Park.
I am a permanent beginner, having flyfished on an irregular basis for the past several years, mostly on lakes for bass and sunfish, and relatively unsuccessfully a number of times on streams for trout.

My goals for the afternoon were: First, to learn more, and second, if possible to catch some trout. Nic taught me quite a bit and worked on my roll casting technique. He never grimaced as I many times got my fly and tippet hung-up in the shrubbery. He just freed up the fly and we continued on.

We fished in the Rocky Mountain NP on one of the streams off of the main park road (which shall remain nameless to protect the trout). He worked on different techniques including nymphing and upstream and across-stream casting and had 2 rods rigged for the differing approaches.

The net result (yeah, pun-intended): approx. 8 plus trout brought to the net as well as a greater number not hooked due to my inability to recognize the strike or my inability to respond quickly enough to Nic's instruction to "set" the hook. The fish actually caught included brown, brook and rainbows. While all the trout were small, this did not diminish the experience.

All in all, a great afternoon for a very fair fee which included rod, wader and flies. This met my goals of good instruction and fish caught. Also, no flies lost and no falls into the streams, thanks to Nic's steady hand as this 70 year-old was crossing the streams. I'm only sorry I live on the East Coast and probably can't return soon to Estes Park. Thanks again, Nic for your patience, good humor and good instruction. This experience not only gave me helpful information, but also increased my confidence in fly fishing in the future.

Reviewed July 26, 2014

I purchased a guided fly fishing trip for my husband and sons as a Fathers Day gift. They enjoyed it tremendously. Jerry was their guide, and he was excellent. He was a great teacher and a pretty good source of entertainment too. He also shared some good fishing spots for them to return to later in the week which was greatly appreciated. He taught them how to read the water and be able to tell what kind of flys to use. Important information for folks from the southeast who are use to spin caster fishing with a float and live bait.

1  Thank AvalonGeorgia
Reviewed July 26, 2014

I had my wife and two boys with me for a guided fly fishing trip. Caleb is 10 and Titus is 5. John and Ben our guides asked me what my goal was. I want my boys to hook and land a trout on a fly rod while wearing their waders. Ask and you shall receive. Great time gentlemen. Great shop and helpful staff.

Reviewed July 25, 2014

I have a fair amount of experience fly fishing, but I wanted to introduce my wife and three kids to the sport. I have two sons (12 and 10) and a daughter (8). I explained to the shop that I wanted them to have a nice experience fly fishing and hopefully catch their first trout on a fly. Kirks delivered. Our guides Ryan and Nick were professional, knowledgeable and friendly. I've fished with many guides around the country and these two were very good. Everyone in the family caught fish and I caught the two largest rainbows I've caught in the 7 years I've been fishing the Rocky Mountain National Park. My wife even wants to start fishing with me. On a side note, Kirks shop has a great selection of outdoor gear.

Reviewed July 24, 2014

I have been fly fishing for awhile but booked a trip with a guide for the first time. Jay, my guide, spent time finding out what I wanted to accomplish and designed the morning around my goals. Great fun, great fish! I recommend booking early. Some out of town friends tried for a same day trip and all of the guides were booked.