Discovery Lodge
Like saving money? We search up to 200 sites for the lowest prices
Peak To Peak Lodge(Estes Park)
  • Restaurant
Econo Lodge(Estes Park)
Appenzell Inn(Estes Park)
View Hotel
Blue Door Inn(Estes Park)
Stanley Hotel(Estes Park)
  • Restaurant
Hotel Estes(Estes Park)
1,037 results
All reviewsfishing pondhot tubvisitor's centerwithin walking distanceclose to downtowngreat view of the mountainsmini fridgegreat place to stayqueen roomclean roomsherd of elkwould definitely stay here againrocky mountainstanley hoteloff seasonshort drivenational park
FilterAll languages
Reviewed October 15, 2013

The lodge was clean and comfortable. It is situated close to the helpful visitors centre and shopping centre where you can get almost anything. It is a straight drive to the town centre. It has easy access to the national park. This lodge is close to most things and you can even spot elk grazing on the golf course next door. The down side for me was that it is pet friendly and I guess the pets stay in the rooms (although our room was clean). The rooms were a long way from the office to top up on coffee.

1  Thank Michelle W
Discovery_Staff, Guest Relations Manager at Discovery Lodge, responded to this reviewResponded December 4, 2013

Thank you for your kind review regarding your stay with us here at Discovery Lodge. The Visitor Center and downtown Estes are both within easy walking distance from our main lodge. While we are pet friendly, we understand that it is not for everybody and we do have high standards when it comes to cleaning our rooms. It is one of our priorities by next year to upgrade our power grid so we can have coffee makers in each unit. We always appreciate your business and hope to see you again soon. Thanks, and have a great day!

Reviewed October 14, 2013

Based on the reviews of this place I thought my wife and I were in for an enjoyable stay. Boy was I wrong. This place is poorly maintained to a T. The screen door is mounted crooked and caught on the floor on our way in. In the main room the ice bucket was dirty (a greasy finger print smudge gross ) which matched the filthy remote ( there was a sheen of filth on it) . After wiping off the remote my wife found that the batteries were dead and had to go get new ones. I took this time to go the washroom. On my way there two portable heaters and a window fan caught my attention. All three of these looked like they had not been cleaned since being bought and were caked with dust and dirt. When I got to the washroom I could not close the door. I had to push incredibly hard to get it closed and when I did get it closed I could see that it was hung noticeably crooked as well. The inside of the bathroom was not any better than the door. Chipped linoleum on the bathroom tub, poorly laid sealant and most of the pipes going to the sink were missing the covers so there were just dry wall gouges with no sealing around the pipes. Oh and the toilet was one of those terrible low flush ones… enough said about that. When the wife got back we sat down to watch a movie (Estes Park kind of shuts down after 6ish and I had specifically rented a room with a DVD player) and here came the icing on the cake
The DVD player did not work. Cables were plugged in and everything was factory settings. All I got was a terrible black and white picture no sound. I went to the desk and informed the kid behind the counter. He said he would make a note of it. I asked for a replacement. Of course they had no extras. I asked if I could have one from another room. He told me they did not have any available rooms. This was funny to me because the neon sign said vacancy and their online booking said they did indeed have rooms available that had a DVD player in them (I know because I looked online after). I had to prompt him to try and make it right in some way and we got 10 bucks back. Great. We did not stay the night there.
You can call it a lodge and throw some paint on it but that does not cover up what it truly is: A cheap roadside motel. Avoid this place.

2  Thank Colin M
Discovery_Staff, Owner at Discovery Lodge, responded to this reviewResponded October 17, 2013

Hello! Thanks for taking the time to post your review of our motel. We are so sorry that you did not have the best experience! It is our priority that we have the best product and value in town as you can see from our other reviews.

Within 5 minutes of reading your comments, the General Manager and I went to the room you stayed in to check the issues that you wrote about. We take all of our reviews very seriously as you can imagine. We brought a DVD and tested the player. It works perfectly with the flat screen TV but we did have to change the input to DVD player and we acknowledge that better instructions are needed. I apologize that the Front Desk agent did not help you! We have talked to him and he understands how he should proceed in the future.

Regarding the bathroom door not closing: we did sustain some dampness in the back wall from the recent floods that affected the door jam of your bathroom. Within 20 minutes of reading your review, the maintenance department planed the door down and now it shuts perfectly. We are also going to check all the doors in that row to make sure the flood did not warp any of the other doors.

Again, thank you for bringing these issues to our attention!

Reviewed October 13, 2013

This is a rustic lodge that fits in perfectly with the surrounding mountains. The location is fantastic and I woke up to see elk grazing in the front lawn. Also heard them rutting during the night, which I thought was pretty great. The price was affordable, and the staff couldn't have been better. Everyone I spoke with was friendly and helpful. They were also very accommodating when I had to change plans due to the gov shutdown that closed the national park. Will stay here again if I'm ever lucky enough to come back to Estes Park.

Stayed: September 2013, traveled solo
1  Thank OJAN_12

Hello, thank you for your kind review on you stay with us at Discovery Lodge. Being able to experience the elk, particularly during the rut, is part of what makes being at Discovery Lodge so magical. We are glad you enjoyed your stay and hope to see you again soon. Thanks, and have a great day!

Reviewed October 9, 2013

You just can't beat this location with this price !!!! The hotel is spread across a wide area near a small pond. Entrance to the hotel from the main road is bit tricky (we checked in late in the night) as the road going down was dark and narrow (no safety issues though !!). We stayed here for two nights and visited the RMNP. The outside of the lodge is cottage style with two independent buildings (I am not sure, there may be more). We stayed in a room just next to the office. The young owners are really nice and helpful and they greeted everybody well. They have free coffee and hot chocolate in the office (no breakfast included). The room was very clean with polished wood furnitures, large flat screen TV and clean spacious bathroom. We stayed in a queen bed room and it was large enough for us to be a bit disorganized and keep our stuff scattered. When you open the window - the majestic snow covered peaks of the rocky mountain greets you from distance. We will definitely stay in the discovery lodge again if we go back to the Estes Park in the future. I have only one complain to the management - please keep at least one light on near the office and one near the hotel entrance for the travellers coming late. I can understand that they are trying to be sustainable and saving energy - but keeping couple of low power consuming lights really helps.

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Arnab C
Discovery_Staff, Guest Relations Manager at Discovery Lodge, responded to this reviewResponded December 5, 2013

Hello! Thank you for your positive review regarding your stay with us here at Discovery Lodge. We in fact have 5 buildings on our main property (we close 2 for the winter) in additional to our cabin and the Otis House. When we know we have guests checking in after hours we will leave a light by the office door for them. Otherwise we do try to be conscientious of our energy footprint. Estes Park is a very safe community with our biggest concern being the wildlife most nights. We appreciate your business and hope to see you again soon. Thanks, and have a great day!

Reviewed October 6, 2013

We only stayed one night at this lodge but it was the best night's sleep I had. Very comfortable mattress and surroundings. The room was clean, The reception staff were extremely friendly and the Elk wandering around the grounds were an added benefit!

Room Tip: rooms with pond view are nice and quiet
2  Thank Donna W

Thanks for leaving a review! We are glad that we were able to make your night in Estes Park so enjoyable. We take pride in our staff and the little things we can do to make your stay wonderful.
We hope to see you again soon. Thank you, and have a wonderful day!