“Still sill a great place to stay” 5 of 5 stars

2.5 of 5 Motel   |   800 Big Thompson Avenue, Estes Park, CO 80517   |
Ranked #10 of 28 Hotels in Estes Park
GreenLeadersBronze level
tulsa
“Still sill a great place to stay”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 14, 2013

I stayed at Discovery Lodge for a second time, I can still highly recommend it. Large, clean rooms, easy access to restaurants and RMNP Right next to golf course and May's Lake. Frequently see elk on golf course. Also on the free Estes Park shuttle. A real bargain! I had a problem with a door staying shut, and they sent a very friendly handy man to repair it immediately. I already have reservations to stay there again.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled with friends
3 Thank creekt
Discovery_Staff, Front Desk Operator at Discovery Lodge, responded to this review, January 19, 2013
Wow! Thanks so much for writing us another great review. We all really appreciate it. Glad to hear you had a wonderful time again and that our handy man is so handy! :)
We look forward to seeing you again of course! Take care and thanks again!
Rebecca

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (219)
Mobile, Alabama
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 7, 2013

My husband and I take a trip every Christmas. This year he wanted to make sure I had a white Christmas; we live in South Alabama where it never snows. We arrived on Dec. 23rd with a different hotel reservation. When we passed by we new we had to stay. Our view was spectacular! We kept the blinds pulled the intire stay. The room was warm and cozy, very clean, and the bed was to die for. If it wasn't so cold we could have walked to town. Christmas Eve it started snowing. I woke to the most beautiful site I have ever seen.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Judy R
Awww! I am so happy to hear you got your White Christmas! I was needing one myself! I'm from TN myself and we do not get this kind of snow! I love it. Glad you were able to take advantage of our location close to town. Comes in handy when parking is at a minimum. We hope to see you all again in the future! Maybe next Christmas!? :D
Thanks again for the review and take care!
Omaha, Nebraska
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 4, 2013

But it was still a fine place to stay. We enjoyed the picnic area and the little balconies The only problem we had was with the Wi-Fi-- it only worked when standing out on the balcony. It was nothing fancy, but for a place to relax and crash while you spend the day exploring the park, it was perfect.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled with family
1 Thank Caty C
Thanks for taking the time to let us know how your stay was! I apologize that the Wi-Fi was not as strong as it should be. There are other Discovery Lodge Networks you may try next time. We do update and re-model our rooms every winter. All of our furniture is new, but all have a rustic/cabin feel to them. Glad to hear you all had a great time regardless in the park. That's what makes Estes, Estes afterall. :D
We hope to see you all again in the future. Thanks again for the review and take care!
Waddinxveen, The Netherlands
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 4, 2013

The cottage we stayed in consisted of two rooms which were reserved for my collegue and I, we could park our car just at the back of the cottage and at the front we had a great veranda. Rooms had a AC but actuallly you do not need that. Nice furniture and nice decorated. From the lodge you can walk to the village were you can find several nice restaurants. I would surely stay here again. And.... look at the prices, great value for money.

Room Tip: We had rooms 202 and 203. These two rooms were next to each other and shared a veranda. It had a gre...
  • Stayed May 2012, traveled on business
1 Thank Harm_Post
Thanks for taking the time to let us know how your stay was! We really appreciate it! Glad to hear you enjoyed it. 202 and 203 are very popular. Great for couples or family members that would like to be close, but yet still have their own privacy. They do have that shared balcony which is wonderful for family and friends. We very rarely ever need to use A/C. Even in the summer, we get to take advantage of the cool, natural breeze those Rockies bring us! We look forward for you stay again with us. You just let us know when! Thanks again for the review and take care!
Evergreen
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 2, 2013

We stayed at the Discovery Lodge for 2 nights in December. They are open all year round! We had a room on the end of the upstairs main lodge. It had a king size bed, all log furniture, a small fridge, tv of course, dresser, closet, small bay window with two comfy chairs and a table overlooking a part of Lake Estes. It had a small balcony with two chairs, but too cold for us to use that....would be extremely pleasant in the spring, summer or fall. Rebecca was delightful and very helpful. Teddy the dog is also a delight - he will fetch tennis balls and bring them back to you, all in the reception area. He can hold two at once in his mouth! The reception area has games, books, a rocking chair, comfy sofas. A wonderfully welcoming place. There is a play area down from the reception building and more rooms which are open in the main seasons. Also a horseshoe area and gazebo, and a fishing pond which is stocked. We had a great time and will definitely go back.

Room Tip: Loved the room on the upper floor for its views.
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
3 Thank Michele O
Aw! Thanks for writing us such a nice review! Maybe next time you come out it will be spring or summer and you can take advantage of the balcony. I'm so happy to know that I was of some help to you all! Teddy sure had a good time with you! :D
It took him a while to teach himself how to get 2 of those tennis balls in his mouth at the same time, but he was determind and sure enough, he now can. haha!
Glad to hear you all had such a great time here staying with us. Let us know when you'll be coming back! Look forward to it and thanks again! Take care!
2 of 5 stars Reviewed December 9, 2012

We have stayed at this hotel several times. This is the first time we have had a poor experience. The front desk staff are very friendly but not able to help with the problems we encountered. Our room, 301, had a sleeper sofa which turned out to be so uncomfortable sleeping in the floor was preferable. Additionally, the heat in the room did not work and it was very cold outside. A space heater was provided for our use and it kept the room from being freezing, barely.
At no time were we offered the opportunity to switch rooms.
I understand renovations are to be done soon and I hope the heating system is upgraded.
I will consider staying here again but will thoroughly check the room to make sure everything works before settling in.

• Stayed December 2012
    • 2 of 5 stars
1 Thank MtnTwin
Discovery_Staff, Front Desk Operator at Discovery Lodge, responded to this review, December 30, 2012
Thanks for your business and taking the time to write us a review. I do aplogize for the heater not working as well as it should. We had recently had it worked on, so it should not have been having any issues. I am also sorry the pull out was not up to your standards. We are more than happy to provide any extra bedding you may need at anytime. I understand your concerns and I am very sorry that we did not have an open room that would have been accodmidating for you and your family. We just want everyone to have a great experience in Estes Park, whether be with us or not. Thank you so much again for taking the time to write us this review. Take care!
Evergreen, Colorado
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 7, 2012

I have stayed at the Discovery Lodge twice and will again next week. It is a clean and comfortable establishment with a very friendly staff that are very helpful - I have had the pleasure of visiting with David, Rebecca and Jessica who have helped me with various requests.
Additionally, this is a very competitively priced hotel for the area, so if you happen to be on a budget this is definitely the place for you.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled on business
3 Thank TravellingCzech
Thanks so much for the review! Everyone here says hello and thanks too! I'm sure we will see you again. We really appreciate you coming back everytime. Take care and see you next time!