“Nice location for Rocky Mountain Park”
Review of Columbine Inn

Columbine Inn
Ranked #24 of 28 Hotels in Estes Park
Reviewed August 9, 2011

I drove 8,500 miles this summer visiting national parks, and stayed in a wide variety of properties. This was wonderfully convenient to the park and my expectations were met.

My room was clean, my double bed was comfortable, the bathroom was good, and the TV worked. The little miniature schanuzer was a plus - my own pet is the same breed.

I was referred to a good restaurant for dinner.

• Stayed: July 2011, traveled solo
2  Thank SandraWilmington_NC

Reviewed June 3, 2011

We chose this place for the memorial weekend since all other lodges were exorbintantly priced.

The rooms were decently sized , had a small tv(very few channels) and had a bathroom, a patio. We usually choose rooms as a place to park ourselves for the night and are out most of the day . This definitely served that purpose. The person who owns this was also helpful whenever we wanted suggestions for places to eat or to go to rental stores to check out equipment. Ask and you shall receive info!

Only thing that was disappointing was the breakfast- or the lack of it.

• Stayed: May 2011, traveled as a couple
1  Thank kelvi
Reviewed June 2, 2011

Friends selected this hotel from its web site and modest (for Estes Park) price. It's an old facility. Our room was clean but small and plain, with minimal furnishing: queen-size bed, two chairs, a small end table. Baseboard heater (that we used), small air conditioner (that we did not need), small refrigerator. No desk for my computer; I ended up balancing it on the end table. Wi-fi requires a user name and password but I could not log on and the owner had no explanation. However, I was able to log on to Comfort Inn's wi-fi which worked just fine. Breakfast in the lobby was minimal, mostly carbs: packaged muffins and sweet rolls; coffee, tea, milk, oj but no water; frosted flakes and Cheerios. There's a microwave, I guess to heat the rolls. Styrofoam bowls but no plates; plastic spoons but no knives. That's it. We brought our own raisin bran. If you want a hot breakfast you might pop down to the nearby Safeway and pick up something you can microwave. I had one big concern: it appeared to me, though I had no way to verify it, that the wall surfacing is some type of light-weight fiberboard, rather than gypsum board. If so, that might pose a fire hazard unless the panels have been treated to be non-combustible. (The bath walls appear to be gypsum board.) If you're on a tight budget, you get a room for a low (again, that's relative to Estes) price with amenities to match. Next time I will probably pay a bit more for a better facility.

• Stayed: June 2011, traveled with friends
2  Thank WeirdHarold
Reviewed November 3, 2010

We were very comfortable here for two nights while we visited Rocky Mountain National Park, tho the room was small we found it delightful, had homey touches, not motel type towels but kind you would use at home. Refrigerator was adequate, we enjoyed the small patio out back where we could sit and have a cool drink. The cleanliness was A+ - the mattresses could be updated, and a few more options added at the Continental breakfast, tho the view from the breakfast room lobby was incredible and we enjoyed our stay here. The owner, John, was very pleasant and helpful.

• Stayed: September 2010, traveled as a couple
1  Thank MARIONNORM
Reviewed September 20, 2010

This hotel was so bad it makes me not want to visit Estes Park ever again. The rooms are small, the manager is crabby, and the "continental breakfast" consists of cinnamon rolls from a vending machine. As well, the cleaning service consists of the crabby manager and an older gentleman who really deserves to be taking it easy in retirement. I actually felt very sorry for both of them. I realize the economy is poor and that times may be tough, but they really need to be much more friendly to their guests, rather than just trying to make a quick buck off the tourists. The price of the rooms is too high for what you get... I would strongly recommend staying at a nationwide chain instead of this place.

• Stayed: August 2010, traveled with family
6  Thank jjj33020
Reviewed July 26, 2010

This hotel is immaculately clean and very comfortable--comfortable beds, chairs, etc. The rooms have nice little touches (nightlight in the bathroom, free toiletries, flatscreen tv, fridge, etc.). It has excellent air conditioning which was much appreciated during a heat wave as well as windows that open and allow for nice fresh air on cool nights. John, the owner, is very helpful and kind and knowledgeable about the area. The hotel is pet friendly--much appreciated in Estes where it can be hard to find. You do not hear your neighbors at all--the walls are plenty thick--a rare find these days. I truly cannot say enough good things about this hotel. It has amazing prices for the location in Estes and for the comfort and cleanliness. I highly, highly recommend this hotel and will definitely stay here again! --Maria, Seattle, WA

• Stayed: July 2010
1  Thank Finchmar
Reviewed July 24, 2010

We received a phone call from the hotel a couple days prior to our visit and learned the family suite for $155/night had caught on fire. We were offered a two queen single room for $114. We felt we should have received a discount for our inconvenience since we were spending 4 nights, expecting our young son to be in a separate room as those with young children will understand. (I also see we got burned on the price as a previous review paid $110 for approx. the same unit around the same time). Secondly, thought it was a bit strange that we were charged for all four night at the beginning of our visit which gave no option to leave early as the direct TV went in and out on us several times, the plug from the fridge fell out of the wall without being touched spoiling our food the 2nd night. Not to mention, cramped room with front door that would get stuck on the bed as your entered. Also puny bathroom. Continental breakfast consisted of Cheerios, milk, orange juice, and prepackaged danishes. Lastly, every time we needed ice we had to go to the front desk and ask for it. Aside from all that, the place is clean. . . however outdated "Granny" music played in the lobby/breakfast area. The view around and location was great (despite the plastic and silk flowers around the grounds) and the Manager/Owner was helpful and friendly. I wouldn't tell anyone not to stay there but would recommend not having high expectations!

• Stayed: July 2010, traveled with family