“Over priced for what you get”
Review of Solitude Cabins

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Solitude Cabins
“Over priced for what you get”
Reviewed August 10, 2013 via mobile

Nice overall location (Estes Park), but the cabin we got was poor...right next to the road with a view of the high school bus lot. Cabin was nice, but some quirks in the accommodations. Strange directions to guests like using particular washcloth.

Price might have been ok for a cabin that was away from road noise and had a view, but ess too much to pay for this cabin.

Recommend you understand exactly which cabin you will be assigned and understand its location on the property.

• Stayed August 2013
krugboy, Manager at Solitude Cabins, responded to this review, August 18, 2013
We are sorry that you were disappointed with your cabin and the view. The cabin does have a great view of Twin Sisters, Longs, etc... and yes a bus barn, which can be seen through several trees. The deck off the upstairs balcony does have a great view of the lake, Lumpy Ridge, etc...
When you make a reservation over the internet, it does not give us an opportunity to ask you questions so that we have a chance to meet any specific requests or questions you may have. We work hard to qualify our guests when we are given the opportunity. Sometimes the convience of the internet does not work to the favor of the guests. We strongly urge folks to call and talk to us, especially when you have many requirements. We are glad to take any amount of time to make sure guests are placed to their requirements.

Solo
Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (22)
Lawton, Oklahoma
Reviewed August 2, 2013

Our cabin was wonderful and we had a good view of Long's Peak from the balcony. But in late July it was 90 degrees in Estes Park and our cabin was hot! They have a venting system in each cabin that pulls the air through the cabin when you open the windows. That helped some but when it rains in the afternoon you have to close the windows and your cabin heats up quickly. Other than that this cabin was a good fit for our family. Very quiet even though it's close to a road. Because you have to sleep with the windows open you can hear traffic but not anything that kept us up all night. I think this would be a great place to stay in the fall and winter months and early spring but not in July & August. Our 11 year old son wished it had a pool and not just a hot tub. We had lunch out on our deck every day which saved money and we could enjoy our view of the mountains.

krugboy, Manager at Solitude Cabins, responded to this review, August 18, 2013
Thank you for the review. We are glad that you found the cabin to be clean and comfortable. Mother Nature did deliver a warm July, which does make it warm without air conditioning. In response to the warmer weather, we have purchased two exhaust type window fans to assist with pulling warmer air out of the cabins. This should make a diiference at night when we tend to get cooler air.
We couldn't agree more, the fall, is the most spectacular time of the year. Warm days and crisp nights and much less traffic in town and around the park. The winter is perfect for unplugging and just relaxing. We hope you will have an opportunity to come to Solitude during another season. You will notice a dramatic difference.
Midwest
Reviewed July 30, 2013

My wife and I just spent a long-weekend in one of Solitude's two-bedroom cabins. Overall , these are well-appointed, functional cabins. But before you book, here are some things to consider:

POSITIVE FEATURES:
*Good location -- very close to downtown Estes and a mere15 minutes from the Beaver Meadows entrance to RMNP.
*Quietly situated off of the major road leading from Lyons to Estes
*Full equipped kitchen + grill on the deck
*Nice views from the decks

NEGATIVE FEATURES:
*Somewhat austere in terms of décor...we were unimpressed
*Expensive during peak season (we paid $280/night for a "cabin")
*10:00 a.m. check-out makes it tough to get a hike in in the morning of departure and still shower

A side note that readers may find as amusing as we did: There was a sign in the bathroom indicating that guests were only to use the single, white hand towel next to each vanity for washing one's face. If the colored towels were used, and "bleaching resulted," guests would be fined $5/towel. My reaction: You've got to be kidding! I've never, before, been instructed on towel usage before!

The service is basically non-existent...these are cabins, so don't expect much in terms of hospitality or informational services...and maid service is mid-week if you are staying a week...but that's okay. They did, for a fee, have a steaming, hot crock of thick chicken soup ready for us when we arrived in our unit late at night. That was worth a lot!

• Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
krugboy, Manager at Solitude Cabins, responded to this review, August 13, 2013
Thank you for the review. It sounds like we fell short in your expectations and that is unfortunate. I will certainly pass along the comments to the cabin owners. We try to deliver a fair product for a fair price. When I mtach ourselves up to our competitors, I still feel that we are lower in rate and provide a better product. I wish I knew who you were comparing us too.
We do have our quirks, I guess, and one of them is not having our more expensive colored face cloths be bleached out by different make ups and astringents. So we do provide a white face cloth for guest to use. At the very least, it gave you a source of amusement.
You were a late check in and we did provide you with information about office hours, emergency contact numbers and so on. I am not sure how your decision to not seek us out for services or information becomes a negative in your review. We are available to all of our guests 24 hours a day and spend most of our days guiding and directing guests. But, we are not the type of property managment to come knock on your door to see if you need anything.
It is nice to hear that you enjoyed the homemade chicken soup in your cabin. We have several food items that are available for purchase from our website.
Tinley Park, Illinois, United States
Reviewed July 26, 2013

Just returned home a few days ago from Estes Park and we stayed at Solitude Cabins. We actually found Solitude by opening one of the magazines that was sent to us about Estes Park, CO. There were tons of cabins listed, my wife and I simply opened a page, put our finger on an area of the page and there was Solitudes ad. It always makes me a little nervous picking a place especially when they are not a large resort name. I called up and spoke with Steve in the offices and from that moment we knew we would be staying at Solitude. If you expect the cabins to look like the pictures, don’t. The cabins and property are even more beautiful than the pictures. Everyone in the offices are very friendly and helpful and the cabin itself exceeded our expectations. The cabin was up to date and very clean and the wildlife walking around the property blew my kids’ minds. I think we paid a little over $300 a night which is more than a hotel room, but by having a kitchen, we saved a ton of money by not eating out. And traveling with my wife and two girls (ages 8 and 10), having 2 bedrooms and two baths was KEY….. The only thing that I would change is adding a pool. After a long day of driving Rocky Mountain National Park or White Water Rafting, it would be really nice to relax in a pool. That being said, I do not recall many cabins in the area having a community pool area. If you are visiting Estes Park, Solitude is absolutely somewhere you should consider.

krugboy, Manager at Solitude Cabins, responded to this review, August 9, 2013
We really enjoyed you and your family. One of the best parts of working here is being able to help people put togethr a great family vacation. It was great to chat with you, we hope you find another time to come visit the mountains.
Wichita, Kansas, United States
Reviewed July 13, 2013

I planned a girls getaway for five friends including myself. Everytime I called the cabin with questions before arriving they were very helpful and never rushed me. They always gave me all the information i needed plus many recommendations. The cabin itself was incredible! Very very clean and well stocked with everything we needed to have a wonderful trip. I cannot wait to come back and visit with my family i will def stay here!!!

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with friends
krugboy, Manager at Solitude Cabins, responded to this review, August 9, 2013
Glad that you found Solitude Cabins to your liking. We hope you can all come back again. Thank you for the review.
Keller, Texas
Reviewed July 6, 2013

We just returned from an amazing trip to Estes Park. We stayed at the Solitude cabins for 3 of our nights and we loved every minute of it. The cabins are located in a great spot.....fairly close to town but far enough away that you feel seclusion. We had a rental car but I do believe they have a free shuttle to town.

Our flight was early so we arrived to Estes around 11am. We called on our drive up and they allowed us to check in early- at noon. We really appreciated that since we had our 2 boys with us (ages 7 and 10) This allowed us time to unpack and get settled and still enjoy the rest of our day in the town.

The front desk lady was super helpful. She gave us lots of maps and suggestions on what to do. My husband asked about a good place to take the boys fishing. About 5 minutes after we got to the cabin, we had a knock on our door. They brought us bait and fishing poles to use. This was a sweet gesture and very much appreciated.

The cabins themselves are individually owned so I can only comment on ours. It was very clean and well furnished. It had a newer feel and it had all the conveniences of home. The only suggestion/change I would make would be to add some sort of pull down shade/blinds in the bedrooms. The windows had a very thin shade and this made it impossible to sleep past 6 am (the sun was shining very bright in our rooms) Thankfully we were excited to start each day and enjoy Estes (so we didn't expect to sleep in too late) but it would have created a cozier environment if the rooms were darker. We stayed in a 2 bedroom cabin. My boys loved the fact that they had their own bedroom and bathroom (both had a big king sized bed and good size bathrooms) We loved the walk-out balconies as well. Such a relaxing way to enjoy a cup of coffee in the morning. They do have a grill outside if you want to cook out. We were usually out for lunch and dinner so we didn't use it but it's great if you plan to eat in often. We did stock up on some groceries (milk, cereal, water, snacks) at Safeway in town.

There is a hot tub that you can reserve. We never got around to it but it was a nice feature.

We did see some deer and elk right outside our cabin.....which was super cool! The view from our cabin was really pretty.

We at Italian food at Mama Rose's on the strip and loved it. If you like Salt Water Taffy then go to Estes Park Taffy Company on the strip. (it kind of has a candyland type awning outside) They make it fresh every day and it is seriously the BEST I've ever had. It melts in your mouth.....is not hard/sticky like most taffy. There are several places that sell taffy so be sure to find this place. You won't be disappointed. Grumpy Gringos restaurant serves Mexican food and it was horrible. VERY bland. It was really the only bad place we ate so I consider that a success. I would not recommend it.

Make the drive to Grand Lake. Its awesome. Get up early one day and head to Bear Lake. I think the parking lots are full by 8:30-9am so if you get there late then you have to ride the shuttle. We liked having our own car so we got there early. It was a beautiful hike and my boys loved it too. Def worth it!!

Estes is an amazing place and I'm so glad we got to visit. Solitude Cabins made our trip comfortable and very enjoyable. Hope we get to go back sometime.

krugboy, Manager at Solitude Cabins, responded to this review, August 6, 2013
Thank you Ladies!! So glad your trip to Estes Park and Solitude Cabins was a good one. We hope to see you again.
Denver, Colorado
Reviewed June 22, 2013

Of course, these cabins are in a beautiful location. You'll likely see wildlife right beside your patio. The bathrooms are clean and some of the tubs have jacuzzis, which is great. The beds are decent and the cabins are roomy, depending on how many people you have in your party. There are items like extra sinks and large closets which really help.

However, for the price, the TVs should be more modern (flat-panel at least) and the kitchens should have nicer tables and chairs. Checkout is also at 10 am, which is a little early, in my opinion.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank KendraP05
krugboy, Manager at Solitude Cabins, responded to this review, June 26, 2013
Thank you for sharing your thoughts about Solitude Cabins. We appreciate your honesty. We are trying to work with the individual owners to make the necessary upgrades to TV's and furnishings. We do try to offer late check outs when they are available. If you should stay with us again, please ask.