“I made the right choice staying here”

Misty Mountain Lodge
Reviewed August 19, 2012

July 29, 2012: I was traveling solo, trying not to rent a car, seeking a day of "altitude adjustment" & an affordable good night's sleep before a 5 day camping/hiking trip. I only stayed one night, but I wish I could have stayed the whole weekend. It's a little sweet spot! Easy walking distance to a very pedestrian-friendly & picturesque riverwalk with all kinds of shops, boutiques, and many places to eat. It's also easy to get to the trail that goes all the way around Lake Estes (part of my plan to see how much activity I could handle at high altitude.) I really just intended to walk, eat and sleep. But I ended up also browsing boutiques and sitting around the campfire meeting lots of nice people & eating s'mores (prepared by the owner.) As others have confirmed, the owners are friendly, approachable and responsive. My accommodations were clean and my bed was comfortable. This is not a chain hotel and I did not expect it to be. I had a great stay & would not hesitate to return.

• Stayed: July 2012, traveled solo

Reviewed August 19, 2012

We rolled into Estes Park knowing nothing about where to stay , after asking a couple of locals where a nice, reasonably priced place, within walking distance ! , was , we found the Misty Mountain Lodge ! Within 10 minutes of meeting the owners and checking out the rooms we were sold . Our rooms were clean, both had small kitchens if you wanted to save on eating out and gas grilles for grilling out ! My wife and I and our friends all had a great time in the Rockies and will be sure to stay at the Misty Mountain Lodge when we make it back to Estes Park !!

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled with friends
1  Thank Chris F
Reviewed August 16, 2012

This is my second review of Misty Mountain. Just perusing the reviews you can see that the great majority are pleased with their stay here; but there are a few negative ones, and I feel most of that is because of unrealistic expectations of what a family lodge is all about, as opposed to a cookie cutter franchised motel.

As my first review indicated; staying within walking distance of the village is primary to us. Although Estes Park has gone a long way to help with parking with a fair amount of public facilities; the fact is during the busy months, especially on the weekends....parking space can be a challenge to find. Misty Mountain Lodge is tucked away just behind a public lot, the village Post Office, and one block away from restaurants, pubs and shopping. It really is a prime spot.

As for the facilities: this is obviously an older place that a family has purchased and has done a good job of updating, and they continue to do so. The rooms have the traditional mountain cabin theme. If contemporary chic is important to you, this is not the place for you. However, if a clean, comfortable cabin like room with full kitchen facilities (a full fridge..not a mini one) at prices less than many of their equivalents in town sounds attractive, I would suggest you consider Misty Mountain.

What brought us back, other than the above...are the friendliness and helpfulness of the owners. When my (new) wife and I mentioned that we had just eloped; we were immediately shown our choice of champagne, and seeing that we were enjoying their porch and rocking chairs at 9 am (we were married at sunrise in the mountains)...we were also offered OJ mixer for mimosas..Most nights during the summer months, s'mores are cooked up around the front yard fire pit...a big hit with the kids as you might imagine; another nice family touch that you won't find at lodges at comparable rates.

The lodge continues to be a work in progress. and it's not perfect. Some carpeted outside areas are worn; there is probably more clutter on the property than some would prefer. To me, that reinforced the family atmosphere. We stayed in Room 12, which is actually in the main building, next to the office. Room was pretty large with a king bed; bathroom was much roomier than our last visit; but the space tended to be a little warm, even with fans running (there is no A.C....and generally is not needed at this altitude). I suspect it was because the room was recessed deeper into the building. It did have windows that opened up to the main porch, and opening those helped, but you had the trade off of hearing guests and the staff/family coming and going until later in the evening.

To us the above were minor details compared to the homey atmosphere, incredible location, super friendly owners and reasonable rates; a good 25 percent less than comparable inns in the area; and when you are staying 5 nights like we did, that really adds up.

We will be staying there again.

1  Thank mitchinam
Reviewed August 15, 2012

I've been renting places in Estes Park for twenty four years. This is the fifth year in a row I've stayed here, for two weeks each time. I wanted something in town, but not a motel chain. The lodge is of unique, rustic construction with appealing modern renovations. I've stayed in cabins, suites and efficiency accomodations here and have been very satisfied with all of them. The most important reason I keep coming back, though, is the family that owns and operates it. They treat me as family, aways welcoming warm and friendly. When I hike, I know that they are concerned and are monitoring my safe return. Kent V

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled solo
1  Thank Nora V
Reviewed August 15, 2012

we picked this lodging based off of the location, the price and the pictures that were provided on the website. when we arrived at the lodge, it was a nice place and we were very pleased at what we saw. the management at the hotel were amazing. they were welcoming and personable. they engaged in great conversations, and remembered the information we provided to them when we bumped into them during our stay, and inquired about how our trip was going. the staff was open to providing advice and suggestions whenever asked. the staff also encouraged interaction amongst guests as they initiated s'mores every night! the room was decent, especially for the price that we paid for the room. i was a little concerned as the specific room that we stayed in was directly next to the road, but i was plesently surprised when we were able to keep our window open at night and were not bothered by vehicles, etc. anymore than we would of at any other location we have previously stayed at. the location of the lodge is great as your are able to walk to the main strip in minimal time. the river was 30 seconds away by walking as well, so we were able to relax next to the river whenever we wanted. there is no room services (such as taking trash, making bed, or taking out the trash) but they were very open to providing us with whatever needed, and honestly, you don't have to worry about anybody coming into your room at unexpected times, so this was not a problem for us at all. i would definitely stay there again.

Reviewed August 11, 2012

I will start out by saying the owners were very nice. However, we walked into Cabin 15 ... not at all like expected. Two old couches that I would not even consider sitting on. Bathroom was extremely small. Walked in one bedroom and it had a hole in the wall. Second bedroom looked O.K. Kitchen had a hot water heater covered by a swinging piece of plywood. Doors had huge gaps to see through and we had to open windows to try to cool down, however, windows were very old making it difficult to open. Would be nice if weeds were controlled around the room. The carpets were all spotted and dirty. The final straw was opening up the bedsheets for the pullout couch bed and finding holes in the sheets. We left without staying and will never go back to this place. Hope the other cabins/rooms were nicer than this one. As for parking, our van barely fit in the space and we had to climb out one side to get in and out as there is only one parking spot per unit.

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled with family
2  Thank Angie T
Reviewed August 9, 2012

Clean room, wonderful owners, beautiful grounds with lots of places to sit and enjoy the scenery, short walk to everywhere downtown. The perfect place for a lazy vacation away from it all. We're already planning another trip just to stay there again this winter. I highly recommend this place!

Room Tip: Room #17 is small, perfect for one night. Otherwise, choose from one of the larger rooms or cabins.