“Great, rustic & affordable cabins!”

Loveland Heights Cottages
Lincoln, Nebraska, United States
“Great, rustic & affordable cabins!”
Reviewed June 26, 2013

People need to understand that cabins are just that, cabins. I've stayed in 5 star hotels expecting the best and I've been tent camping numerous times, expecting lots of dirt. I loved my cabin, #5, because it was just as I had anticipated, a 1920's style cabin (I checked out the photos on line before I booked). I loved the knotty pine cabinets, drawers and furniture and of course, the great view from the deck. Much nicer than expected. There is basic cooking equipment but if you ask Beverly she would give you what you need, even from her own personal kitchen! Yes, outdated but that's what makes them charming. Bathroom was newly remodeled. Shower big enough for one large person. Very clean and family run. The owner is a "hoot" and I enjoyed her company immensely. If I wanted The Stanley Hotel, I would have stayed there! I wanted to cook since I was going to be there for 16 days. The only thing I would change is to create a better view from the decks by cutting back some of the foliage. I'll be back!!

• Stayed June 2013, traveled solo
lovelandheights, Owner at Loveland Heights Cottages, responded to this review, June 28, 2013
Thank You so much for your review. 'You too were a hoot and a half'. I enjoyed sitting out on the porch swing with you in the evenings , I don't know if we got any of the worlds problems solved but it was fun trying. Thank your beautiful daughter again for the wonderful private concerts she gave the first night you were here and the last. The customers enjoyed it so much and so did I.
I thought it was so beautiful to sit out on the swing on a cool night and listen to her violin music kind of floating through the mountain air. What a talented young lady she is.

I have taken note of your idea to cut down some of the bushes between "YOUR CABIN" Well, thats what you called it and the river. It always pleases me when guests stay and then call back the next year and ask "Is MY cabin open".

You guys take care and I hope to see you again.

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (70)
Aurora, Colorado
Reviewed June 24, 2013

This was a quaint cabin setting on the river. The location was great and only takes 5 minutes to get to downtown. The place could use some spring cleaning, updating, and landscaping clearing. We were in cabin 6, a studio unit. It was decent, very small bathroom and shower. The linens could use a new set and the unit has old cabinets etc... it's rustic. However, the service is great and all are happy to help. The deck was hard to view the river because the trees and foliage need cutting back. There are spider webs everywhere, I used the broom to get them off our deck.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
I am happy you rated the cabin with a 4 out of 5. There are a few things you mentioned that I have concerns about.

You stated that it could use some spring cleaning. During the month of may all the walls were wahed,carpet shampooed curtains washed and ironed, all NEW BEDDING and the floors cleaned with an sos pad. As was every cabin. The walls were ALL freshly painted in 2012. I truly wish I could understand. The review above you stayed in the studio next to yours while you were here, they were here 16 days and raved about how clean the cabins are.

We are going to put in all new counter tops and kitchen sinks in 2014 and new screens. BUT the cabinets and updating will NEVER happen. It is a very delicate balance to make the cabins modernized with out loosing that "Step Back In Time" feeling. AS LONG AS I OWN THEM THEY WILL ALWAYS BE THAT "BRING BACK A MEMORY" type of cottage. If it does not bring back a memory that you are just to young, BUT some day you will look at your loved one and say "do you remember that cute little cabin we stayed in 10 years ago?" It will then be your memory as well.

I addressed the landscaping in the review above yours. Again this is hard because most of our old timers prefer the natural look of mountain living, they do not want a well manacured place to visit. They want the MOUNTAINS as they know them. This is why we try to leave the river
side of the property pretty much alone and have the nice manacured lawn in the front, that way we can perhaps try to please everyone. What looks like spider webs are a downfall of river living. I don't even know what they are, I have never seen a spider out there and they are only on the outside of the cabins, on the river side. Been a mystery to me for 32 years, as I also have them on the river side of my house. We kind of leave them alone as the humming birds use them to take and make their nests. We take a hose and hose them down after nesting season is over.
Pacific Ocean
Reviewed June 11, 2013

The cabins are pretty run down and could really use some attention, but the location is magnificent and the decks perfect.

The utensils, etc., in the kitchen are inadequate for most cooking. The living area could really use a table, as eating on the tiny enclosed area is not great. The TV worked poorly, but the heater was excellent.

Unfortunately, they were doing roof work while we were there, which created a lot of noise.

If you don't like the touristy and crowded aspects of Estes Park, this is a wonderful respite. Everything is expensive, so don't expect to get away with much of a bargain.

Entrance to the Park itself is convenient, as is the grocery store. And you will save a bundle by having a place where you can prepare some meals.

Don't let the owner's attitude dissuade you. Once checked in, you will probably not have to deal with her again.

1 Thank sailsequoyah
Bev500, Owner at Loveland Heights Cottages, responded to this review, June 13, 2013
I leased out Loveland Heights for several years, when I came back to run it myself in 2008, I had a 10 year plan. Which included by not limited to the following.
new decks, new outbuilding, new roofs, new exterior paint, New interior paint, new tile floors, new light fixtures, new showers, new foundations on 6 cabins, new bathrooms in 5 cabins, new internet systim, new refrigerators, new stoves, new beds, all new bedding, new towels, new stainless steel pots and pans, new coffee makers, new toasters, new curtains and bedspreads. THESE THINGS HAVE ALL BEEN ACCOMPLISHED. Not all of them needed to be done but was our way of updating.

I also had on my 10 year plan, all new counter tops and sinks for the kitchens, new screens on all cabins (these will have to be made by a carpenter as every window and door is a different size. So far I have not been able to find a carpenter that is interested in trying it.). THESE ARE NEXT YEARS PLANS.

You have to understand that when I accomplish getting this all done that you are talking about multiplying those items by 19 cabins. I THINK I AM GIVING THEM LOTS AND LOTS OF ATTENTION.(and money)

I am wondering if the furniture is why you stated that they needed attenion. There are pictures of all the cabins on the enternet and about 95% of my customers come off of the internet. We show you on line each room in every cabin and we also take you to your cabin when you arrive to make sure you are happy with it. These cabins will NEVER have modern furniture or futons. I go to estate sales and there is a furniture store that carries 1950's furniture, and a good deal of the furniture has always been here. THIS IS WHAT LOVELAND HEIGHTS COTTAGES IS ALL ABOUT.
"STEP BACK IN TIME"

If you wanted a more modern, updated place to stay, You should have asked about our Beautiful home and cabins at LOVELAND HEIGHTS WEST. One mile east of LOVELAND HEIGHTS COTTAGES.

Our T.V. reception is excellant, it is dish network, if there was a problem why don't you people come and say something, probably a child or person that stayed in that cabin before you did something by accident that caused your problem. We can and will fix it.

Lastly, you mentioned that I had an attitude, I REALLY don't, I love the cottages and I want everyone who comes here to have a great vacation. Vacations are important especially when you are out with your family making a memory. I have a very dry sence of humor and some people take me the wrong way. I am glad you brought it up though, I will be more careful.
fort lauderdale
Reviewed June 2, 2013

The best thing about this place was the deck from cabin that overlooks the river out back.It was beautiful and quite,meaning you could not hear the highway from the room just the rushing water.The lady who owns the property was upset because I only stayed one night.The bathroom was very small and like a tin can in the shower.The cabins are old and show their dated style.I was there for the deck and rushing river.We had a BBQ out back which was awesome .The out of town location was nice to.
Only 5 minutes to town.

Room Tip: Ask for a Cabin right on the river
1 Thank vetgirl69
lovelandheights, Owner at Loveland Heights Cottages, responded to this review, June 4, 2013
This IS the lady that owns Loveland Heights.

When you make a reservation for multiple nights, you should honor that reservation. When folks make reservations for these cottages, they want one cabin that is special to them. This is not a place that has 100 rooms that all look alike, each cabin is different and if someone wants cabin 17 or 9, doesn't matter, that is the cabin they WANT.

When someone comes in the office and never even sees the cabin and says "we are only staying one night", that costs customers that wanted to reserve that cabin and me also. Most of the business' up here would not let you get away with that.

I explained to you that you were responsible for the whole stay that you reserved and you became upset so I just let it go and charged you the one night. You came in later and ask for the WiFi pass code and then even later and ask if I had a pen you could borrow. I gave you the pass word and the pen with absolutely no hard feelings and told you to have a nice time.

I do Thank you for loving our Beautiful Decks on the Big Thompson River and for stating that our cottages are dated. Thats what we want people to know. We proudly advertise "Step Back in Time" and enjoy the simple comforts of the 1950's. We are not the Big Chain Hotels and darn proud of it. We are known for our cleanliness, the people that came in that cabin after you left spent 10 minutes telling me how Beautiful our place was and much they LOVED THAT CABIN. I guess they looked at the pictures on the internet when they reserved, thats what we put them on there for, so that everyone knows exactly what they are reserving.
Pasadena, Texas, United States
Reviewed May 10, 2013

When we arrived we were moved to the owner's other property down the street. Was SO looking forward to the deck over the water. But due to the cold the pipes bursted so staying there was not an option. Very accommodating. Room was very clean and comfortable. Only thing that stood out was there were no coffee cups. But if that's the only complaint I'd say the owners did well. Very close to town but yet far enough away. We did have some road noise but that's our fault as we like to sleep with the windows open and it is right off the road. However I don't know that I would have paid $225 a night. But we were very pleased that she was able to move us to another cabin. Would love to come back and stay at the one we were originally supposed to stay. All in all we were pleased.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled with family
I am so sorry I had to move you but greateful I had a place to move you to.

I ordered new dishes for these units and was not aware that there were no cups with the sets of dishes. I was injured in Aug of last year and had to depend on somone else to put them in the cabins. I have taken care of that problem.

Thank you for taking the time to write a review we read and respond to each and every one of them.
Webb City, Missouri
Reviewed January 3, 2013

Talk about on the water. We had a deck off of our cabin that hung over the water. It was wonderful in the morning sitting out there watching fish floating under our deck. We loved the atmosphere and would definetly go back. The place is older and our cabin was the oldest one there and could use a good deep cleaning as there were lots of cobwebs around the windows and outside the cabin. Even with that it was a wonderful place to stay if you want to be close to town yet in the mountians and on the water. Loved it! It also is one of the cheapest places to stay. I hope to go back there some day.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled with family
1 Thank FlesRae
lovelandheights, Owner at Loveland Heights Cottages, responded to this review, February 11, 2013
Thank You very much, it was a pleasure.
Houston, Texas
Reviewed November 16, 2012

I stayed two weeks in the Bear Cave for some peace and quiet while getting some big projects done for work in late October. The Bear Cave is right on the Big Thompson River, the sound of the river going by is delightful. It was great to have a fully equipped kitchen and a very good Safeway right down the road. The bed was very comfortable. The owner was very accommodating. It was very quiet since it was past the normal tourist season. The weather was great, even had a couple days of snow and everything looked fabulous, I love the fall in Estes Park.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled solo
Thank You. I just love people that tell it the way it really is. It is a constant challenge to please every customer but we really do TRY.