“Rude Owner Threatened To Call Police When Asking For Refund”
1 of 5 bubbles Review of 1st Inn Estes Park

1st Inn Estes Park
Ranked #25 of 29 Hotels in Estes Park
Green Mountain Falls co
“Rude Owner Threatened To Call Police When Asking For Refund”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 24, 2009

I have 20 years experince in the hospitality industry. I have managed front desks and have also done corporate work for Best Western. Never in my life have I been treated so badly . My bath tub was clogged with YEARS of hair so disgusting. Couln't shower, so i approached the front desk and was told to get the -- out. truely. he tried to call the police. This place SUCKS and I will tell everyone I know. I have friends in Estes. i livce just west of Colorado springs

• Stayed September 2008, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Chocolat7

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (19)
Pueblo, CO.
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 25, 2009

My girl and I go to Estes once or twice a year, and we always stay here. We are on a budget and just want clean, fairly priced accomodations, and love this little place. The in-room mini fridge is a nice bonus, as is not having to lug stuff up stairs. Rooms in Estes during 'The Season' are pricey, so we always go to Four Winds: It's about 90 seconds from town and anything we need is close by. We've gotten to know Rich, the owner, who is a decent guy and always remembers us! Kinda nice. They were just completing some remodeling when we were there, new carpet, etc. but no so modern it detracts from the charm. Nice outdoor pool & indoor hot tub to relax in. Go to The Mountaineer for breakfast, and you can have a really nice stay without spending a lot!

• Stayed May 2009, traveled as a couple
St.Louis, MO
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 25, 2009

Stayed here first in Oct.2007. My son & I needed a place that would take two cats & was reasonable. It was not very luxurious but met our needs in a two room suite, plenty of space for the cats to get some exercise. The furnishings were not very nice but since our purpose was to hike all day we didn't care. We did want to use the sauna & hot tub. Since it was off season they evidently didn't want to heat them up so they were never hot when we wanted them. The staff, especially the man who seemed to be in charge was very unfriendly. I was accused of getting makeup on their towels. We intended moving elsewhere but decided it was too much trouble moving the cats. We stayed there again in Oct.2008 because the place we wanted to stay was full. Again "the man" was very unfriendly & again the same problem with using the spa. This time only one corner of the hot tub worked. On check out, there was an extra $10 charge because "the man" said I had ruined two towels with makeup. This was ridiculous as I found that it washed out easily with hand soap. We paid $120.74 for the first night & then decided to stay on the remaining five nights. I was charged $646.82. I paid without doing the math & recently discovered that I was overcharged. I am currently trying to get a refund & I shall report them to AAA, Budget Host, & the attorney general. We were very easy guests as we requested no houskeeping or sheets changed for fear the cats would escape. I told "the man" that we would not be back & he said "I hope not".

Stayed October 2008

Travelers are raving about these Estes Park hotels

Macon, GA
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 5, 2008

How does a business operate with such terrible customer service? I wish I would have read these reviews before we stayed here. We also were abused by the front desk people in a way that was so rude and made us on the defensive from the start. Why? How can this be the way the staff is trained? We are stunned that the people of Estes Park have not run this operation out of business. The rooms are terribly dirty and run down, but for the price they charge these should be spotless and sparkling and with sheets that don't scratch you and doors that (kind of) close.

The health hazards in plain sight (mold, dangerous repairs, questionable wiring and nails not pounded in right at my son's eye height) make me wonder where the Health Department is and why they aren't concerned about this place. We left after one night and lost the money for the second. "Too bad", is their refund policy. The only thing this place has in common with other hotels like the Standley is the price per night.

This is the kind of place that gives capitalism a very bad name.

• Liked — Location was good
  • Disliked — All the rest
  • Stayed October 2008, traveled with family
Denver, CO
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 4, 2008

I haven't ever written a review before, but I really felt that must warn people before you spend your money; you should go anywhere else you can in Estes Park. We stayed at the so-called "log cabin" which actually a modular home made to look like a log house, right on a fairly busy road. We were truly amazed at the lack of equipment; you will need to bring absolutely everything you might possibly need to cook your meals; we wound up buying a cookie sheet to heat up bread on because there was nothing in the whole kitchen to do so! Everything in the place seemed on the verge of falling apart; the "whirlpool" jetted tub in the master bath is about to go through the floor and is surrounded by rotting plywood and carpet. The doors throughout the interior don't shut properly; trim is falling off, all kinds of shoddy repairs seem to be barely holding the place together. Window locks broken trouble locking the door. Worn and shabby and stained throughout. The dining table and chairs in the cabin appear to have been stolen from a office conference room from the 1970's. I took the kids up to swim in the pool and were truly shocked at the conditions there as well. Someone has taken it upon themselves to "repaint" the enclosure, which appears to have been done with a worn broom instead of a brush, to (badly) hide all the mildew and rotting wood. I am not a neat-nick but even I was shocked at how dirty and ill-kept the pool is, and my kids were scared of the broken ladder. I also couldnt find any working pool filtration (looking because of my small daughter and recent news scares) either. I just felt really scammed; if we had spent $29 to stay at a discount chain motel, we would have been more prepared for this level of roughing it. I also would also tell you that the people we dealt with at the front desk were condescending and rude to both myself and my husband. Customer service seemed to just be a point lost on them. It truly destroyed our once-a-year vacation to be put into such awful accomodations for a price that would easily have bought a clean, comfortable stay elsewhere, but then to also be treated with such disrespect and rudeness was just over the top. I hope that people will avoid this place until the proper repairs, upgrades, and training can make this live up to the image it is fooling its internet customers with.

• Liked — It was close to the lake.
  • Disliked — It felt very unsafe and was falling down. That was not reflected in the price, however.
  • Stayed July 2008, traveled with family
2 Thank travelgal1269
denver
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 3, 2008

I am truly shocked that there is a single positive review of this place. I am amazed they are still in business and haven't been shut down. I would rate this as the worst hotel in Colorado, maybe in a tri-state area. The fact that they can charge $120+ per night to stay here is truly laughable. The pool is not fit for humans in terms of mold/mildew/rotting structures/broken equipment/exposed nails/complete lack of pool chemicals/utter ickiness. Wait until you experience the hot tub. Or the sauna. The actual room had, no kidding, a coffee maker installed over the toilet with a little sign warning not to heat up soup in it, AS IF. There was a a layer of filth in the drains and air conditioning unit and heat vents that could have served as a spare blanket. The shower did a fine job of wetting the walls and ceiling but almost magically avoided the shower-ee. There are defensive and abusive little signs all over the place, like they're really proud of this place but think they're about to be cheated, like reminding you they'll be charging you $5 for the towel you wouldn't dream of taking home, let alone purchasing. I think the most amazing part of this place was the absolutely horrific customer service. The rude front desk woman answered my call just fine to book the reservation, but left me on hold for a record fourteen minutes (and when I say, put on hold, I mean = set the phone down to have a lengthy social conversation with another person) and then abruptly told me that I had the wrong number and hung up. This was followed up with another call from me reminding her that we had just talked and she was going to send me a confirmation, which was met by her with a terse, rude conversation wherein she told me I would be paying full price for the room up front, sight unseen. Quite the policy but in retrospect, I sure see why they require payment before anyone gets a look at the wretched Dickens-like "accomodations". We got NO sleep, as every time any other person in the place shut their door, the walls shook and the slam reverberated through the whole place. There's a helpful sign outside to disallow anyone hoping to spare other vacationers this rudeness, from backing into their parking spot and actually diverting any of that light from people wishing to sleep. The room windows are positioned so as to magically capture every single headlight that goes by-- this was truly the most wretched stay of my life. Someone threw up outside our door during the night; the bed being positioned about a foot away from the deposit point. Of course, calls at that point to the front desk went unanswered. We left the minute the sun came up, and of course, no refund or reduction in the highly ridicuous price they charge to stay in this dump and a rude, disinterested checkout. I would warn ANYBODY planning to come to Estes Park -- sleep in your CAR before you stay here. Sleep on a park bench. Sleep on the side of the freeway and spend your hundred dollars on a fine breakfast and a tank of gas and you will be in the lap of utter luxury compared to a night at the Four Winds.

• Liked — How easily I could speed away from it on the highway
  • Disliked — The fact that it exists. That it is allowed to do business. That humans supposedly run it.
  • Stayed July 2008
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
1 Thank tripadvisermember_8
Iowa
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 17, 2008

We rented a standard motel room and a two-bedroom cabin and stayed several days. The kitchen had enough silverware, dishes, and pots and pans to meet our cooking needs. The appliances were clean and in excellent shape. The furniture was functional though not especially attractive. I did enjoy the original artwork. Each bedroom had a closet and a dresser. One bed was terrific and the other was softer and not as good. By checking the motel's website, I had a good idea of what to expect. The accommodations were not luxurious, but functional, clean, and in a desirable location.

• Liked — We relaxed by fixing some of our own meals and had plenty of room.
  • Disliked — The cabin screen door was sprung and did not close without help. If you are looking for perfection, this place may not be for you.
  • Stayed August 2008, traveled with family
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
1 Thank kokicmp