“An enjoyable evening”

Rock Inn Mountain Tavern
Ranked #8 of 137 Restaurants in Estes Park
Cuisines: American
Good for: Romantic, Special occasions, Bar scene, Local cuisine, Families with children, Large groups
Dining options: Breakfast, Late Night, Dinner, Lunch, Reservations
Description: Open 7 days a week at 4pm Sunday Mornings we are serving Brunch from 10am to 2pm Built in 1937as a dance hall for the Big Band Era, The Rock continues to be a lively gathering place with local flair. In the winter, our two wood-burning stoves keep the room toasty for folks stopping in for a beer or a bite after playing in Rocky Mountain National Park. During the summer season we enjoy stunning continental divide views from our outdoor dining patio. Our menu is an ever evolving blend of hand-crafted, hearty comfort food with a health and planet conscious twist. We aim to fill you up with goodness so you can get back to enjoying the mountains again tomorrow. We feature Certified Angus Beef, All-Natural Colorado chicken, fresh salads, whole grains, organic teas and coffees, local beers, sustainably produced wines, and a full bar. On Many Fridays after dinner, we set-up one of many original Colorado bands on our 76 year old stage, clear the dance floor and boogie all night. Some of the bands playing these days include Chain Station, James and the Devil, Old Town Pickers, The Sweet Lillies, Stringboard Theory, Cadillac Grip Funk, KC Groves, and many more. During the summer time, acoustic music acts play most other nights of the week, sunday nights are a mellower feeling as we host acoustic Colorado songwriters during dinner. You might catch Jon Pickett, Alex Thoele, Sarah Caton, Jay Roemer, Billy Shaddox, Jay Stott, or Terry Kishiyama and Ash Ganley. We also offer a great open bluegrass pick on Thursday nights lead by a few talented local musicians, either joining in on the pick or just sitting back and enjoying the bluegrass, tuesdays are a funny night of music. We look forward to having you join us. Reservations are not accepted, however if you want to give us a call, when you are on your way we will be happy to get a table ready for you or put you on the list. During the off-season there is rarely a wait. In July, August, and September it is best to get here before 6.
Reviewed October 6, 2012

Our hosts at Dripping Springs Resort recomended this place as a restaurant that locals and tourists both enjoy - we agree! Nice live music on Saturday night, and the rustic atmosphere added to our enjoyment. The food was a little pricey, but considering the location, not overpriced. We had the chicken flatbread, a burger, penne pasta and the French Dip. all were very good, with the French Dip winning the favorite vote.
So dinner for 4 with a beer, a glass of wine and a couple of sodas was around $80. Even though the restuarant was busy, our waitress was attentive and took the time to describe the favorite dishes.

Write a ReviewReviews (1,302)

Reviewed October 5, 2012

This was the best meal I had while in Estes Park (I actually went twice)! The fist time was a Saturday with my husband after a 12.5 mile hike. They had a pianist/singer that evening and she was fantastic. The beer selection was nice and the food was amazing. The best side dish is the polenta - by far! I had the chicken marsala when I went with my husband. I took my colleagues here and they all loved it as well. This time I ordered the trout. I recommended the marsala to a friend and he raved about it as well.

The bar staff greets you when you arrive and leave. Everyone there is just very friendly and the atmosphere is nice. It looks and feels like a cabin. I would definitely return.

Reviewed October 4, 2012 via mobile

We go to Estes park every year and glad we found this little tavern. The have a great happy hour from 4-6. Be sure and try the bacon wrapped dates for an appetizer, trout for main course, and the buffalo burger and chicken flat bread sandwiches are great too. Great staff completes the evening.

Reviewed October 2, 2012

Good service. Simply didn't have food that I would have considered 'tavern' food. I'm sure others would find it wonderful. We did have the corn and black bean salsa and chips and it was very good.

Reviewed October 1, 2012

There are few options for good food in the evenings in Estes Park. We usually eat in our cabin because meals out in the evenings have been disappointing. On 2 separate trips salespeople have urged us to go to Rock Inn because it is a "locals" place.
Well, the locals must have money because I was surprised at the prices for the amount of food. There is an odd system for getting a table when it is busy. We put our names in, and stood around while others who came in after us were seated. They had drinks in their hands, so maybe that was the key.
Anyway, rustic room, loud, live music was not helpful. The waitress and I had communication problems. The menu is in 3 different places (including a stand-up on the table) so you have to search out all the food options yourself.
My French Dip sandwich was small for $11.75. I added (for an upcharge) "Longs" potatoes which as supposed to be baked then fried. They were hard and cold and literally whole potatoes. I added a salad that cost an additional $3.75 (the menu said $2) and it was smaller than the Mc Donalds salads I get for a dollar. Yes, I should have complained and sent it all back, but I was trying to be a good sport. The waitress explained none of the costs or described the items, even after I asked her.
Husband's pasta with shrimp was ok. Cajun with feta cheese was odd.
Good local draft beers but beware-the wait staff do not understand how to describe beer. Everything is "sort of like Bud but hoppier".
The bathroom was a surprise.
If you want a rough and tumble but family oriented joint with decent beers and decent food, this place is fine. I just don't believe locals eat here regularly. The prices are a bit high.