“Nice restaurant, great view”

Trailhead Restaurant
Ranked #34 of 137 Restaurants in Estes Park
Cuisines: American, Italian
Dining options: Breakfast, Lunch, Dinner, Reservations
Description: The Trailhead Restaurant can be entered from the gift shop. At the Trailhead you may enjoy breakfast, lunch or dinner and beverages, including regionally brewed and national brand beers, served from our Old West log bar. The experience of the Trailhead will be unforgettable as you dine surrounded by a panorama of towering mountains and the nearby seductive high peaks and forests of Rocky Mountain National Park.For those wanting a truly remarkable dining experience, try a meal on our expansive log and stone pillar open-air deck. From your table you will be treated to a magnificent view of mountains soaring above Fall River as it winds past forests, meadows and grazing wildlife. To the east you will see Fall River Valley bordered by mountains. To the west are majestic high peaks with a glimpse of Trail Ridge Road, leading to the Continental Divide and all that awaits you ahead in the Park, including the region’s highest mountain: Long’s Peak.While enjoying your meal or drink, have a park meal prepared, packed and ready-to-go when you are. Or, if a visit to our restaurant is not possible, you may simply want to take snacks, coffee, or other beverages and one of our packaged lunches with you. Don’t forget dessert!
Reviewed July 30, 2011

We visited the Trailhead Restaurant for breakfast before enjoying some hiking down Old Fall River Road. My husband and I felt differently about the restaurant, but since I am writing this review, I will rate it based on my thoughts, but share his as well. We sat outside and enjoyed the cool, crisp morning air and beautiful view. There were very few patrons in the restaurant at 8am when they opened, and we all sat outside. I ordered the eggs, bacon, potatoes and english muffin and thoroughly enjoyed it. I loved the presentation, with an adorable moutain themed plate to set the mood. Everything was tasty, it was reasonably priced (the food), and our waitress did an adequate job. My husband ordered a short stack of buttermilk pancakes and sausage. They were out of sausage, which was disappointing, so he ordered crispy bacon. The bacon was not crispy at all, which made it a little less enjoyable. He was also a little frustrated because, with only three tables occupied, the waitress did not do a good job of keeping his coffee cup filled. After paying $2.50 for coffee (which seemed outrageous to both of us), he expected to enjoy more than one cup. Given our different experiences, I would be eager to return, while my husband would not.
The gift shop was very large, and a visitors center is attached, so this is a very nice place to go to enjoy a break from the crowds and a good meal. Just order water with your breakfast and it will save you money!!

Reviewed July 18, 2011

Elk stew is the specialty and it does not disappoint. Elk burgers, trout and salmon are also decent bets. Try to ignore the off-the-beaten path location near the Fall River Road entrance to Rocky Mountain National Park because, on a good day, the outdoor patio is a great place to soak in the rays. One of the better choices in Estes Park.

Reviewed June 28, 2011

We chose to eat at this restaurant rather than drive back to Estes Park. I was daring and tried the elk burger, which I liked but trying it once was enough. The big hit was the sweet potato fries. Mine were so good my husband ordered an extra side for himself. Service was excellent and the view was fantastic.

Reviewed June 26, 2011

We visited in the early evening when it was still bright and sunny so we sat on the balcony - beautiful view onto the hills. Lots of humming birds, very pleasant staff. My husband had elk stew with corn bread (quite adventurous for us Scottish people) it was lovely - I was more cautious and had fish and chips - which was great.
A beer and 2 soft drinks, cost $40. I'd recommend it.

Reviewed August 12, 2010

We went to Trailhead Restaurant on our second night in estes and were a little reluctant because they were pretty empty- but it was early (around 5pm) so we gave it a try. I had the trout which was excellent-I'm a big fish eater and this was the best fish I've ever had in a restaurant. My husband had the wild game dish that was also excellent. The rice and vegetables with the meal were also very good. It was so good we went back on our last night in town since it was really the only good restaurant we ate at in Estes. This time I had the Salmon, which was also very good & my husband got the trout on my recommendation and loved it. Good service, good prices, beautiful mountain view & no wait!