“Save your $”
Review of Grumpy Gringo - MOVED

Grumpy Gringo
Dining options: Parking Available, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Takeout, Waitstaff
Description: Presenting freshly made unique American items and old favorite Mexican dishes in a casual and comfortable setting. We're located in the picturesque mountain setting of Estes Park, Colorado just next to Rocky Mountain National Park. Whether you're visiting Estes Park on vacation, or a long-time local, Grumpy Gringo is sure to please. With an extensive menu, including a great kid's menu, there's something for everybody in your party. We've been serving up the very best food for years here in Estes Park. We have added a great list of Colorado boutique beers this year to compliment our outstanding and popular Margaritas.
Channelview, Texas
“Save your $”
Reviewed June 1, 2013

The food was terrible and over priced. They need to go back to the drawing board on the salsa they serve with chips. You can get better salsa from a jar. We ordered a dinner that came with enchalidas. The tortilla was not cooked, the cheese was not melted, the sauce? Who knows? I couldn't stomach it because the rest was so bad.

Staff was friendly, but I can't understand how a place like this can stay in business, unless the population of Estes Park has never had real Mexican food.

Texas visitor

1 Thank Susanne M
Monte H, Manager at Grumpy Gringo, responded to this review, June 5, 2013
We serve thousands of very satisfied cumtomers each year, who by table visits or customer comments, indicate to us their pleasure. We will continue to strive to serve the very best freshly prepared food with great customer service. We implore any customer who is not satisfied with their food or service, to tell us immediately, at the time, so that we may correct any such problems and make their visit as enjoyable as possible.

Stillwater, Oklahoma
“Passable Mexican food”
Reviewed May 30, 2013

Not the best or worst we've had. Friendly staff, but sometime overwhelmed. Most food is not very spicy, but sauces can be added. Just really can't recommend...other places better in town.

• Visited June 2012
Denver, Colorado
“Waiterَ!!!”
Reviewed May 28, 2013

You know what?? Today I had the best and most pleasant waiter in my entire life. Her name is Laura. As I remember she is european, maybe from lithuania. She is amazing, friendly and always smiling. I love it. Also food was very tasty. If you will be there always ask the waiter Laura and leave her a good tip. She is worth it!!!! I will go back here for sure! Thank you ;))) Dewey

Firestone, Colorado
“Do NOT Waste your time”
Reviewed May 26, 2013

My first issue with this place was when I was hassled over my service dog being in the restraunt. I am disabled and my service dog was wearing her coat that states SERVICE DOG. The woman at the front desk began speaking over me in Spanish to another woman obviously about us and the dog and then looked back and in English asked if that was a service dog. I answered yes and the next thing out of her mouth was let her see documentation for the dog. I was not happy. Told her that ADA does not allow her to ask for proof of it being a service dog. We were then seated.

Next problem, I am severly allergic to celantro. I am a big girl and I know that to eat it WILL make me very sick so I know to ask before I eat or order to be sure I am not harming myself. They brought chips and hot sauce and I asked the man if it had cilantro in it and he said he would ask. He came back and assured me that there was NO cilantro. Three bites later I see the cilantro on the chip as I am starting to get sick. I asked a second waitress about the cilantro and she had to go check as well and came back and said yea it has cilantro... BIG SURPRISE. By now I was already feeling the affects of eating it.

Third problem, I ordered a meal with Green Verde Pork Chili. Now when you order a green/verde sauce you are expecting what???? Perhaps a sauce that is green in color??? I got a plate full of red sllimy mess. About the only thing that was even remotely like what the menu described was the fact that it had pork in it.

We had seen numerous wonderful reviews and had been looking forward to eating here and we were so disappointed with what we got. Zygot rated them well as did all the other reveiws we had seen. I am not sure what the reviewers were on or how much they got paid for the reviews but the place is awful and not worth the time and effort it takes to find the place.

2 Thank Lisa B
“Restaurant from Hell sitting in a slice of Paradise.”
Reviewed May 26, 2013

We have a service dog and they started last night's travesty with hassling us over the dog who was IN her service dog gear (pro tip: It is illegal per the ADA to demand for certification...)

Then we ask if the salsa had cilantro in it. Not all Mexican food places use it- but my girlfriend is VERY allergic to it. Answer came back no. We found bits cilantro in it after she had taken 1 bite of the salsa. When asked again from a different employee, sure enough... Cilantro. (Pro tip: food allergies are a SERIOUS matter...)

We ordered something with green chili sauce and got graced with something with a red pork sauce and a cock and bull story about the color changing when it was mixed up and cooked.

AVOID THIS PLACE.

Monte H, Owner at Grumpy Gringo, responded to this review, June 19, 2013
After considerable discussion with staff, it is obvious that this situation could have been handled much better by both staff and the customer as well. We graciously accept service dogs that are trained, well behavied and uniformed, while trying to comply with Health Department regulations prohibiting non-service dogs in the restaurant area.
Food composition and ingredient questions should be asked of the floor manager, as he/she has a better knowledge of those items and is pleased to help. We need to stress to the customer, that if there is any doubt about any food that may cause an alergic reaction, it should not be consumed.
Lastly, I wish to note that green chile sauce is not named that because of the color, but because it is made with green chiles. We soften and improve the taste of our green chile sauce by adding a bit of tomato base, with the result of it having a redish color.