WINNER WONDERLAND

Review of The Waterfront Grille

The Waterfront Grille
Ranked #58 of 129 Restaurants in Estes Park
Cuisines: American, Bar, Pub
Good for: Special occasions, Kids, Large groups, Families with children, Romantic, Scenic view, Local cuisine, Business meetings
Dining options: Late Night, Lunch, Breakfast, Dinner, Brunch, Free Wifi, Full Bar, Outdoor Seating, Parking Available, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Television, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Description: The Waterfront Grille, located inside The Estes Park Resort, is the only Lakefront Dining in Estes. Completely remodeled in 2013, our upscale restaurant is open for breakfast, lunch, and dinner 7 days per week. Breathtaking views overlooking Lake Estes, the Continental Divide, and Long's Peak from both our dining room, and outside deck seating area.
“Excellent brunch”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 16, 2013 via mobile

You can't beat the brunch here for $25 per person all you can eat buffet with prime rib, crab legs,shrimp, omelette station,typical breakfast items and desserts! My only complaint is the temperature was freezing in the room but the views are awesome really must see this place!

Champaign, Illinois, United States
“Beautifully appointed restaurant, great food”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 14, 2013

My husband and I stopped for lunch while vacationing in Estes Park. The restaurant is beautifully appointed with great views of the lake and the mountains. The restaurant manager, Ms. Spangler, was extremely friendly and welcoming. The service was attentive and deft, and the food was excellent. Portions were generous and well-described on the menu. Sophisticated and stylish. Highly recommend.

Fort Collins, Colorado
“Good food, good but laid-back service”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 10, 2013

We arrived about 2:15 on a Sunday for a late lunch. There weren't many people around, and the staff seemed a little surprised we wanted lunch. We were seated out on the deck under the awning. The waitress explained that they had just finished brunch, and she hoped we weren't in a big hurry. Not exactly what you want to hear in a restaurant! But the view of teh lake and mountains was superb, and we went ahead and ordered. The food actually came without much delay. It was delicious, and the waitress, though very laid back, was very attentive. All in all, a very enjoyable experience.

Tucson
“Finally, a great dinner in Estes Park”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 30, 2013

After a disappointing dinner at another local and well-reviewed "fine dining" restaurant last night, I had high hopes and concerns about dining at Waterfront Grille. I want to state up front that my expectations were exceeded, and my concerns, unnecessary.

First of all, this is a beautiful restaurant with incredible views of the mountains and Lake Estes.

It was a week night, and although we did not have a reservation, my wife and I were seated promptly.

Our server quickly brought us water and menus, and took our drink order. The wine list was well thought-out and reasonably priced, and there was a decent selection of craft beers as well.

My wife ordered a red blend, while I had an Avery brown ale. Both were very good.

For starters, my wife ordered a cup of the corn and pepper bisque, and I had a cup of the French onion soup. The bisque was sweet, thick and delicious. My soup was a bit thin and slightly tart for a French onion, and while I would have preferred a more traditional version of the soup, this was still good.

We also received a basket of delicious, piping hot bread and herbed butter.

For entrees, my wife had the lamb chops, and I ordered the pistachio crusted trout. Both dishes were delicious! Her lamb was cooked medium rare, as requested, and was served over scalloped potatoes with a rich cherry sauce and a side of broccoli.

My trout was served over truffle risotto and a side of broccoli. The trout arrived de-boned, and was moist and flavorful. The risotto was an excellent compliment, as was the broccoli.

We were quite full after our meal and did not have dessert.

While Waterfront Grille is not an inexpensive destination, I was very happy with the quality of our meals and service, and I would come back in a heartbeat.

My only criticism is that the bar and the dining room are next to each other and undivided. About 7 PM, just after we arrived, a soft rock trio started performing in the bar. While the music was not unpleasant, it did not suit the atmosphere of the restaurant, or enhance our dining experience.

• Visited May 2013
Tucson
“Close to Perfect”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 30, 2013

My husband and I dined at Waterfront Grille on our last night in Estes Park. The views were spectacular; snowy peaks, shrouded in mist, towered over the clear, blue lake. The host graciously showed us inside and told us to choose whichever table we liked so that we could enjoy the view as fully as possible. Our server was attentive and amiable, and our food was served quickly.

My entire meal was delicious. The corn and red bell pepper chowder was nicely seasoned, creamy and rich, with sweet corn cooked perfectly. My entree was the Colorado rack of lamb in a zinfandel/cherry sauce. The lamb was prepared just as I requested (medium rare), and the sauce was delectable. The accompanying grilled, salted broccolini was simple yet tasty, and the scalloped potatoes were a fitting side that paired well with the more complex, richer flavor of the lamb. This meal was almost perfect--excellently prepared food, very good service, and splendid scenery.

While I have only the most positive remarks about the food and service, our experience was not enhanced by the band that was performing in the bar on one side of the restaurant. My husband and I enjoy hearing a variety of types of music (alternative, blues, rock) in the right setting, but this wasn't it. The band began its set at 7:00, when there were fewer bar patrons than diners. The vocalist performed primarily 1970s soft rock standards. These seemed much more fitting for a bar than for a fine restaurant. However, the layout of Waterfront Grille provides no physical distinction between the two. Perhaps it would be preferable for a band to perform later in the evening, when the bar is the main hub of business? We noticed a grand piano in the restaurant; a pianist would have provided more suitable music to accompany a lovely meal in a glorious setting. Diners don't need anything more.

My warmest compliments go to the chef and to the service staff. I will be dreaming of that corn chowder for weeks to come!

• Visited May 2013