“Great View of Rockies, Outstanding Meal, Great Atmosphere”

The View Restaurant at the Historic Crags Lodge
Ranked #32 of 128 Restaurants in Estes Park
Cuisines: American
Good for: Scenic view, Romantic, Large groups, Special occasions, Local cuisine, Business meetings, Families with children
Dining options: Dinner, Late Night, Accepts American Express, Accepts Discover, Accepts Mastercard, Accepts Visa, Cash Only, Free Off-Street Parking, Free Wifi, Full Bar, Highchairs Available, Outdoor Seating, Parking Available, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Cross street: Audubon
Description: Located in the Historic Crags Lodge, the View is an established, destination restaurant for many people living along the front range. Dining is casual yet elegant and offers the best view of the surrounding mountains and downtown Estes Park through it's ninety foot wall of windows. Our bar opens at 4:00 PM and Happy Hour is from 4-6. The menu is an eclectic mix of unique entrees such as the Signature Short Ribs, Duck Confit, Roasted Eggplant Dip and our signature Cobbler. Gluten free and vegetarian options available. Only fresh, local ingredients are used in the menu and the staff is welcoming and friendly. The View is a perfect mix of atmosphere, views, excellent food and fine wine.
Baltimore, Maryland
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Great View of Rockies, Outstanding Meal, Great Atmosphere”
Reviewed July 24, 2013

We were visiting Rocky Mountain National Park and staying in a B&B in Estes Park. We found this restaurant in Frommer's and it turned out to exceed our expectations. My wife and I were seated on a balcony for two outside. The balcony was lined with potted flowers and we had a great view of the Rockies in Rocky Mountain National Park and the town of Estes Park. The food was excellent but it was the old, historic lodge with the amazing views that we will remember for a long time. It was very romantic and had great ambiance. It was also reasonably priced with a menu that included burgers all the way up to excellent steaks, lamb chops, etc. It is definitely worth eating here.

• Visited July 2013

Oklahoma City, Oklahoma
“Food with a view.”
Reviewed July 22, 2013 via mobile

I cannot recommend enough! You arrive by walking into an impressive, historic hotel. The restaurant itself is a room with floor to ceiling windows showcasing an amazing view. If you are a party of two, request a one of the few tables located on the balconies- you will have the best seat in the house! We were a larger party of 7. One in our party has Celiac Disease, and they were very helpful making sure she had a gluten-free meal (there was no specific gluten-free menu). I ordered the walnut-crusted trout. It might just be the best trout meal I have ever had. Anywhere. Everyone in our party enjoyed their meal. My only critique (almost keeping me from giving 5 stars) is that we had 2 kids in our party and their food was brought very last. By several minutes. This might seem like a minor thing, but we were there for quite awhile, and if you have ever eaten with little kids, you will understand!

Visited July 2013
3 Thank Marcya23
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, United States
“Wonderful Evening & fantastic food!”
Reviewed July 17, 2013

While this is our second trip to Estes it was our first visit to the View. it was the last evening with friends and family who had attended a wedding in Denver and extended the trip to a vacation in Estes. My son found it on-line and after reading reviews we decided to try it. We made reservations on line, arrived with a party of 13 and enjoyed the most wonderful evening. The food was fantastic. And with a party that size and diverse we pretty much covered the entire menu. Our server, Brian, was wonderful! He made our evening was perfect. He knew the menu and made sure everyone had what they needed. The guitar player in the dining area was amazing and non-intrusive (as live music can sometimes be). The outside of the building did not give a hint of the beautiful interior. And, of course, the View!. Which brings me to my only complaint, finding it. While GPS got us close, once you start up the drive, the signs direct you to the Lodge at Crags Hotel or Eagle Lodge. The View is only listed on a very easy to miss sign at the beginning of the drive. We actually got out and asked at the door to the restaurant if we had the right place! But, now that we've found it, we are sure to go back again.

• Visited June 2013
2 Thank Terri M
Saint Louis, Missouri
“Great place”
Reviewed July 17, 2013

The View is a fine dining restaurant located in an old hotel that is almost 100 yrs old. The windows still have to old leaded glass, dark wooden floors and nestled up in the hills. It is off the beaten path so you will have to go hunting for it but it is definitely worth the experience. The menu is something you'd find in a finer restaurant in a big city. The waiter, Brian, was very attentive. Spent some time talking to us about his time in Estes Park and what to see and do. He made great recommendations and even had the kitchen prepare a special salad for our son who usually doesn't eat salads but finished this one. We were there on a Sunday night and the place was only about 1/3 full but were told the place was crowded Sat. night. A little pricey but worth it.

Visited July 2013
2 Thank stl1126
Durango, Colorado
“Perfect atmosphere, fantastic service, great food.”
Reviewed July 15, 2013

My family celebrated my parents' 50th anniversary here last week and it was perfect. The views are stunning for this aptly named restaurant and the hotel/restaurant itself is historic and beautiful. Our server was a true joy. His name was Bryan and if you make a reservation you should request him. He was wonderful and one of the best parts of the evening, not because he spent alot of time talking with us - he let us enjoy our meal - but there was something about his style that brought a little something extra to the evening. He offered many menu suggestions and seemed very knowledgeable. We ordered a Big variety of menu items, from jambalaya, to mussels, to steak to ravioli and everyone was very happy with their meals. Also the house salad that accompanies the entrees is definitely a step up from many restaurants. I have nothing but praise for the restaurant and would highly recommend it. A guitarist was playing live music the night we were there and it was lovely. If there are just 2 of you and the weather is nice, defintely request one of only 3 balcony tables that seat just 2 people. We were a group of 11 but if I ever went back with just my husband I would definitely want one of those beautiful tables. Prices were very reasonable. We ate lunch at the Stanley and it was very good and I am sure they have very good dinners there as well but other than the Stanley, I am sure this is the very best restaurant in Estes Park and frankly, The Stanley was a little to "cosmopolitan" for my tastes. The View combines great dining with historic charm and without throngs of tourists milling about.

• Visited July 2013