“A Perfect Family Experience!” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of Backbone Adventures

Backbone Adventures
More attraction details
Owner description: ATV, Jeep and Harley Davidson rental in Estes Park Colorado. Helmets, maps and delivery to the trail are free.
Lincoln, Nebraska
“A Perfect Family Experience!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 22, 2014

We really enjoyed our experience with Backbone. Our family rented a UTV. Andy and co. met us at the trailhead, gave us detailed instructions and maps and away we went. We followed all of the types of trails on the map and enjoyed them all. Andy and his staff were very thourogh and made us feel very well taken care of, his equipment was also very well taken care of. I would highly recommend Backbone over any other!

Champaign, Illinois
23 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 48 helpful votes
“Unique Experience, beautiful sites!”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 21, 2014 via mobile

We rented two jeeps for our family of six. Even if you have never driven off road before, as long as you have common sense, skip the "practice" route that is recommended by the staff. It takes around three hours of your time. The more difficult routes were our favorites. As long as you go slow and watch what you are doing, you will do fine. Do not expect to go fast, expect rough and slow! Great scenery! Bring water and food. Also, the jeeps were a blast to take up TrailRidge Road. For an extra $50 you can keep them overnight, which was well worth to us. Otherwise they have to be returned by five pm. If you are thinking about the ATVs, keep in mind there is only one trail available for ATVs, whereas the jeeps can go anywhere. And unless you enjoy shifting constantly I would recommend the automatic Jeeps. The only reason I gave Backbone Adventures a 4 instead of 5 is because the first jeep the employee tried to give us was soaking wet inside including the seats. It was 48 degrees that morning! They did give us a different one, but I'm sure the people right after us were given the wet one! Also, my husband who is a mechanic, noticed the brake line was coming apart, he reported it to the employee when we returned the jeep at 8:00am and the employee immediately gave the jeep to the next family without even looking at it!
On a positive note, Diane was very helpful when making the reservation. Her son, the owner, also gave us a full refund on a day when it was pouring down rain and he let us reschedule, which we greatly appreciated!

Saint Louis Park, Minnesota
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 13 helpful votes
“A wild ride (and then we got to the ATVs)”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 21, 2014

My 15-year-old son talked my family into an ATV excursion while on and Estes Park/Rocky Mountain National Park vacation. After exchanging voicemails and emails, we were given very precise directions to a location some 25 miles outside of town and up a rather steep, often unpaved mountain pass. There were times I was uncertain whether the old mini-van could make it to our destination, an orange bucket by the roadside. Iif you go, 4-wheel drive is a big plus. (Coming home, the road we took up was closed by a truck that nearly fell off the mountain. Thankfully, a road worker gave us directions to an alternate route off the mountain.)

Once arriving, friendly staff gave us the safety talk and instructions before leading us to our two Razer ATVs. The ride started out fun. However, the weather quickly turned and we found ourselves in the middle of freezing rain and a hail storm. We still managed to nearly make it to the top of the mountain before turning back as a second round of storms and lightning approached. We ended our excursion just 2 hours into our 3 hour scheduled ride thoroughly drenched, cold and exhausted. The only casualty was my wife's cell phone as rain water saturated the bag she had it stored in.

All in all, we came away with some great stories while shaking our heads, amazed that we survived it all.

If you go, I encourage you to insure your vehicle is in good working order for on and off road mountain travel. Bring rain gear, warm clothing and a change of clothes as storms are likely most afternoons.

Wichita, Kansas
“Amazing trails”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 21, 2014

Everything was very smooth, my daughter ordered another 4 wheeler the night before the trip and when we arrived Andy was there to help us and explain everything. He did have to give us some loaner vehicles due to people abusing some of his equipment the day before but that was fine we came back at 12 to exchange them went off without a hitch he even gave us an extra 4 wheeler for the 2nd half of the day. the trails are amazing and so much fun!! Beware of the black trails. Nothing should ever drive on those. Very rocky, steep and narrow. But all the rest of the trails were fun!! I would highly recommend Andy and backbone adventures. We will be back!!! Thank you Andy!!

Sherwood, Oregon
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 3 helpful votes
“Awesome time with the Razrs”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 20, 2014

My kids (age 13 and 17) and I had a great visit with Backbone on August 8th -- the Spring Trails. We rented a side by side Razr for me and my daughter and my son drove the Razr Ace solo. What a great time exploring (unguided) the trails! Our machines operated perfectly, and we really enjoyed the 3 hours of exploring. Some of the trails are pretty rocky so you are only going 5 mph, that wasn't as much fun... but many of the trails let you get up to the 20mph limit they want you to stick with.

Andy and his team were super helpful and pleasant to deal with. We'll definitely be visiting them again on our next trip to the Rockies!