“Really enjoyed the spacious, clean, comfortable room”

Alpine Trail Ridge Inn
Ranked #4 of 29 Hotels in Estes Park
“Really enjoyed the spacious, clean, comfortable room”
Reviewed June 4, 2010

If you are looking for basic comfort and cleanliness and a great location to RMNP, this is a great place to stay. Rooms are not fancy, but are homey, clean, very spacious, and user friendly. We stayed in a king with balcony. Balcony is very small, but the peaked ceilings gave the room a very open look. Nice view. We could have lived there a little longer. The bed was comfortable, slept well. So glad we stayed there and would definitely return.

• Stayed May 2010, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (279)
  • Finnish first
Pune, India
Reviewed June 2, 2010

We stayed for 2 days at this amazing Inn over the Memorial Day weekend. The check in was breeze and Robert ? ( i hope i have his name right) was very helpful and checked us into a room that was probably the best room at the INN. :) I was very happy with our room which was a King Balcony room (no.134) and cost us about $ 110 per night. The room was quite spacious and clean and had all the usual amenities like a coffee maker in the room, standard T.V channels, hair dryer, ironing board etc. The bed was not the most comfortable that i've slept on as the mattress felt a little lumpy. The bathroom was pretty small but was clean and adequate. We were not really bothered by any noise, although the traffic for the Memorial Weekend was quite heavy. The best part of our stay there was the stunning view of the rocky mountains from our balcony. All of the rooms face that view and that frankly was the main reason we chose this Inn, the location is just unbeatable. It is literally just a couple of mins away from the town of Estes Park and right outside the boundaries of the Rocky mountain National Park. The Inn has the Sundeck restaurant right next door and it did serve some good food. A Dominoes Pizza is also very close by.
Fran at the front desk was very helpful with suggestions on what drives we could do instead of the Trail Ridge Road which was temporarily closed. We were also able to use the computers especially set up for guests and printed our boarding passes there.
I cannot comment on the pool as we didn't use it. I would highly recommend this Inn to anyone who is looking for accommodation with amazing views of the Rocky mountains and friendly service.

Huntsville, Alabama
Reviewed May 31, 2010

my wife and i reviewed tripadvisor to find a good motel in Estes Park, CO near Rocky Mountain National Park. i believe this motel came up # 3 in the hotel listings. price was about $100 + a night. The trick in the city of Estes Park is, you dont stay in a hotel near or in the town itself, the independent condos and rooms for rent on the river a short distance or so out of town are newer, nicer, and about the same price, the river runs thru the town and is quite beautiful and pleasant. In contrast, the Alpine Trail Ridge Inn, is between two busy, noisy streets, has a very small, outdated bathroom, the room itself is small, the walls are paper thin (you can hear traffic all night long and all your neighbors playing music, talking ,etc) and the property is too old for the price and too outdated/noisy. the pictures on the internet and AAA guidebook are angled to disguise the real location and views, i dont who is providing those quaint, favorable writeups, and the whole property is too old and outdated in general. dont stay here! choose a place from the non-hotel section of tripadvisor on the river near town. this place is overpriced, a waste of money, too outdated and too NOISY!

• Stayed May 2010, traveled as a couple
mtnpoet2, General Manager at Alpine Trail Ridge Inn, responded to this review, June 7, 2010
I need to retract my earlier response to this review as I based it on an erroneous assumption as to what room they had occupied. So please remove my first response and replace it with the following:

My apologies to this guest for my erroneous assumption as to what room they had occupied. They were nice enough to email me with the correct information, so I would like to set the record straight. They did not stay in the smaller Western room, but were in one of our Balcony rooms with a King bed. The price they paid was the $100.70. I do remember talking with them about a potential noise situation with a couple staying in the room beneath them. This guest and his wife came in to let me know about it and asked to be moved to another room, which we were happy to do. I then went up and talked with the couple in the lower room and they indicated that they were on their honeymoon and would be playing some music but would keep it very low. We had no complaints about them or any noise during their stay.

I thought that we had solved the problem to everyone's satisfaction, and when the couple from the Balcony room checked out, we talked about the other couple and I told them that we had not had any complaints about the other couple. I do not remember them saying anything about the room being "outdated and the bathroom too small". I really felt we had communicated well during the whole process, so it was a surprise to see such a negative review. There is more truck traffic early in the summer as the National Park is working on re-paving Trail Ridge Road, but is usually not noticeable unless the sliding glass door is open at night. They will be completing that project soon.

Are we down by the river with cozy condos? Certainly not. Are we along a busy highway? Yes, we are, as most motels in most towns are. We do have excellent views of the mountains, especially from the balconies, and we just topped some pines which I planted 30 years ago which had grown so high they were starting to block the views from certain rooms.

To me, outdated and too small is a matter of perception, and of what type of property a person is used to staying in when traveling and what their expectations are of each property where they stay. From their comments, I would expect that they are used to staying in newer condos and newer chain properties. We try to undersell, not oversell our motel, and I clearly state on our website that we are an older property, extremely clean and well maintained. We certainly are not a Condo-quality property.

There are many things still to do as we keep upgrading the property, and the bathrooms need to be the next focal point. Several years ago, we replaced all our furniture and lighting with items from the Marriott in Downtown Denver, and have had a very favorable response from it. But we will probably never be appointed like the higher end chains and condos - there just isn't enough money in a seasonal economy for that scale of upgrade.

We routinely get many comments every day as people check out or during their stay about how much they like the rooms and how clean they are, so I feel that in this case it was a mis-match of what kind of property they were expecting and the kind of property we are. A 4.5 rating on TripAdvisor reflects how people FEEL about the property, where a 4.5 rating on AAA reflects how the property meets the CRITERIA of furnishings, amenities, decor, etc. We are a high 2 star on AAA, and because of the age of the property and things like the size of the bathrooms, we will never be anything higher without spending about a million dollars, which does not make financial sense.

I will make it right with these guests as they did not have the experience they were expecting, and encourage them to call ahead to future places they book to make sure they are the type of property they would like. Perhaps it is the long hours I work that blunted my assessment of the effectiveness of the communications between us when they were here. I had enjoyed talking with them and thought we had taken care of any problems.

I thank them for their courtesy in emailing me to allow me to correct my response, for the politeness of their email response, and am sorry we were not able to help them have a better experience in Estes Park. I wish them well in their future travels.
Springfield, Colorado
Reviewed May 10, 2010

My wife and I recently stayed for 5 days during the first week of May. Someone reccommended that we stay at the Alpine Trail Ridge Inn in Estes Park and were they ever right! It is a rarity in these times to find a motel/inn whose standards meet your expectations. As one who has spent a life time as a frequent business traveler around the country, I speak from experience when I say that this is the "Best of the Best" in Estes Park. From every aspect their level of service is beyond compare. The staff were warm and friendly and willing to assist us in any way possible. The rooms were very comfortable and quiet. The bed just right! But, more than anything else, what surprised us most of all, was the cleanliness of the rooms. Absolutely, the cleanest I have ever experienced, and as I mentioned before, I have seen quite a few. In fact, the entire motel reflected this level of cleanliness throughout the facility.

I've never ever written a review for any motel, hotel, or inn in all my years of traveling, but for the first time, I wanted to thank the management and staff of the Alpine Trail Ridge Inn for their kindness and superior service shown to both my wife and myself.

We hope that you will find your way to their door one day.
Monte & Debbie Barham
Springfield, CO.

4 Thank MonteBarham
Estes Park, Colorado
Reviewed May 5, 2010

I asked to have a quiet room. I asked when I reserved the room and when I checked in. The motel had many vacancies. In fact, in the building in which they put me, there was only one other room taken. Why then did they insist on placing me next to the only other room that was booked?

Stayed May 2010, traveled solo
3 Thank lelna
mtnpoet2, General Manager at Alpine Trail Ridge Inn, responded to this review, May 25, 2010
We are very sorry this guest had a noise problem and apologize for not having anticipated the possibility of it happening. However, in the words of Paul Harvey, "Now for the Rest of the story!".

It was early in our season and we had only part of our rooms opened up for the season. We did have about 8 other rooms rented that evening. It happened that after this person rented a ground floor room, someone came in later and wanted a balcony room with a king bed and the only one we had happened to be above their room. Normally we do not have any noise problems, but obviously there was a problem.

We actually do care a lot about our guests, their comfort and experience here, and about our property and the service we provide. My wife spent a lot of time with this person helping them with hiking information and the person indicated that they might spend several days with us. The next morning, they came in to check out and when asked how things were, responded that they had heard some noise from another room. At no time did this guest express to us the sentiments that they did in this review.

We are on property 24 hours a day, and there is a phone which reaches us even at night, and unfortunately, at no time except at checkout did this person let us know that there was anything unsatisfactory to them. As one reads in my other responses, I ask for people to PLEASE, PLEASE let the management know right away if there is something not right, as we can find a solution for any problem promptly. it does not matter what time of day or night, we are here to solve any problem.

At checkout, when finding out about the noise, my wife offered to move her to a different room that we were opening up where there would not be anyone next to her, but she indicated she needed to go ahead and leave for family reasons.

The end result was that yes, if it was possible, it would have been better to put that other person in a different room if one was available, but that was the only open room of that type available that day, and we rarely have noise problems. However, it also falls upon the guest to let the management know if there is a problem . There are 6 magic words that I use when travelling and something needs fixing or isn't what I expected: With a gentle voice and a smile, I call or see the manager or front desk person and say, "You know, this just isn't satisfactory."
It is a non-confrontational way of opening up communication and I've always had positive results in solving the situation.

So we offer our apologies to this guest and thank them for alerting us to a procedural change we can make in our early season in trying to keep occupied rooms farther apart from each other. That has always been our policy, but in this case with the available rooms we had opened for the season, it did not work out that way.
Garden State
Reviewed November 17, 2009

My boyfriend and I stayed at the Alpine Trail Ridge Inn this summer, and we were both very satisfied with the accommodations. Don't be fooled by the curb appeal, or lack thereof-this place is very deceiving from the outside. Also, the room pictures featured on the Alpine's website just didn't do it justice-it was actually much nicer and we were both pleasantly surprised (we chose a Balcony Room). Our room was very spacious and comfortable. Also, I am a "neat freak" and the most important thing to me is a clean room...the room was very clean. We liked the easy accessibility to Rocky Mountain National Park (located right at the park's entrance), the balcony views, and the fact that our parking space was right next to our room. If we return to this area in the future I would definately stay here again, and I would HIGHLY recommend it to anyone visiting the Estes Park area.

• Stayed August 2009, traveled as a couple
5 Thank GardenStateSiggy
Cincinnati
Reviewed October 11, 2009

We stayed here after a six-day stay in Denver on business. We had a king-sized bed and it was way more comfortable than the hotel in Denver. This hotel was very clean, and the room was plenty large enough for the two of us. There was a microwave, refrigerator, chair with ottoman, and a table that we could eat at and free internet. What was really nice is that guests may use the computer stations with printers in the hotel office. We were able to print our boarding passes for the airline! This hotel is VERY close to the park entrance, and you can even walk to Domino's Pizza to pick one up! We stayed in the last few days that the hotel was open for the season, so the pricw was quite reasonable. You can park right at your door (yay!). We had a nice view of the mountains. The Sundeck Restaurant is next door, although we did not eat there.

Stayed October 2009, traveled as a couple
4 Thank sharongb
mtnpoet2, Operations Manager at Alpine Trail Ridge Inn, responded to this review, October 21, 2009
We would like to thank all our reviewers for their positive and candid comments. We are now closed for the season until May 1. 2010, so we tend to drop a few notches in the ratings due to lack of reviews. Overall, our remodeling and improvements over this last winter were well received, and we received some important feedback on areas to improve upon, particularly in trying to deal with some construction issues from when the buildings were built. I have developed some techniques for quieting the heaters down and we will be working on that project. We may have a workable solution for the small bathrooms in the front building, and will be replacing a lot of older toilets with new water-saving models.Overall, we hope to upgrade the decor to a higher level.

Our staff did a great job in keeping the rooms spotless throughout the year, and the maintenance staff was able to keep ahead of the daily repairs and do some much needed projects.

We look forward to another summer and greeting new and old guests again.