“Perfect place for our hiking vacation”

Alpine Trail Ridge Inn
Ranked #8 of 28 Hotels in Estes Park
Reviewed September 22, 2008

We were 2 couples spending 8 nights in Estes Park for some serious day hiking. We wanted clean, comfortable rooms (at a reasonable rate) close to the park and restaurants. A.T.R.I. delivered. Front desk was efficient, friendly and helpful. Housekeeping was first rate! Our balcony rooms were perfect for our needs. We found 4 better-than-average restaurants nearby (2 within walking distance). And the entrance to RMNP is just minutes down the road . . . avoiding a drive thru the downtown tourist shops.

If you're looking for a Ritz-Carleton type facility, where the Inn itself is a major part of your experience, look elsewhere. A.T.R.I. is an older motel right on the highway. No lush grounds. No spa. No room service. It was just what we were looking for.

• Stayed: September 2008, traveled with friends
2  Thank NCATdayhiker
Write a ReviewReviews (1,175)

Reviewed September 18, 2008

My wife and I stayed three nights at the Alpine Trail Ridge Inn in September of 2008. We chose this motel based on the good reviews here on Tripadvisor. This motel is significantly overrated. Yes, the staff was nice and helpful. Yes, the rooms were clean, although we did have a few ant and spider issues during our stay.

Fundamentally, this is a 40+ year old roadside motel with smallish rooms, old décor, and poor HVAC. The bath towels are thin and threadbare. The carpet is coming up at the edges of the room, and the carpet tacks are poking through. This property isn’t rustic; it is old.

The location is nothing special, as everything in Estes Park is close to RMNP.

At its base, this property is comparable to a Motel 6, with a mini fridge and a microwave. It is a 2 star, and no better.

• Stayed: September 2008, traveled as a couple
4  Thank tech_lawyer
mtnpoet2, Operations Manager at Alpine Trail Ridge Inn, responded to this reviewResponded October 8, 2008

I wish people would realize how much it would help everyone if they would contact the manager and sit down and discuss any problems. It lets us know of problems and gives us a chance to solve them to everyone's satisfaction. To the best of my knowledge, this person never contacted me.

I retracted my first response to this review because I thought it was for a different room type. However, we were able to pinpoint it to having probably stayed in one of our two Standard rooms with 2 double beds which is partially handicap accessible.

I agree that the room is cramped in comparison to the other rooms that are non-handicap accesible, because we had to enlarge the bathroom and take space away from the living area. As a result, from one of the beds you cannot see the television. We do strive to tell people ahead of time about this particular point so that they know about it before they arrive. The A/C is a standard window unit, and the natural gas heater was new in 2003. Again,he did not contact me about any type of problems with them.

After this review was posted, I personally went down and inspected the room which we felt was involved. I did find where some ants were coming out of the ground outside, and treated the area with ant spray, and then later had the crack dug out and sealed. We are in the mountains, and especially when it rains, they try to get inside. These should have been taken care of before this, so we did miss this item.

On the carpet, this is the interesting area to me. I looked all around the room, and found no carpet pulling up at the edges, and no exposed carpet tacks. All I found was a wrinkle at the bathroom door where the carpet needed re-stretching, and we have been so busy that we had decided to wait another month until we closed to go in and re-stretch carpets. It may possibly have been that our maintenance staff took care of any problem between the time he wrote it and the time I looked at it.

The wear and tear on towels with daily washing is amazing, and we put more new towels into circulation this summer than ever before. I talked with a couple who comes up almost every weekend, and they indicated that they didn't see any problem with the towels. However, after doing the laundry for several days recently, I can see his point, and we will be looking to purchase all new towels of a much higher grade which can hopefully stand the wear better.

If this individual had contacted me, we would have been happy to show them our other rooms, upgraded them if possible, or helped find them other more modern accommodations more suitable to their expectations. To me, this is a case of someone used to traveling 3 and 4 star properties booking one of our less favorable rooms. I really feel that if he had booked a Balcony King or two Queens room, his response would have been totally different.

I would recommend to this individual that if he comes to Estes Park again, to book with the #1 rated property in our category, The Woodlands. It is a condo property, more expensive but much more deluxe than ours. I suspect this is more the type of place where he is used to staying. Our goal is that they have a good experience in Estes Park, whether it be at our property or another one.

Are we a fancy luxury property? No, we are rated by AAA as a high 2 star property with a variety of quality of rooms, and we will be working this winter to upgrade the least desirable rooms.

I sincerely thank him for his frank comments, because it helps us focus our upgrading projects in the face of an uncertain economy.

Reviewed September 17, 2008

I stayed at the Inn with a group of Elderhostelers. We were very impressed with the friendliness and helpfulness of the staff. One of our group sustained a slight injury from a fall on the trail and was given extra help by the management. Their concern was appreciated by everyone in the group. The rooms were clean and comfortable.

• Stayed: September 2008
1  Thank NmHiker
Reviewed September 14, 2008

We really, really enjoyed staying at this inn and will stay there again next spring. The room was unusually large and cozy and had a balcony from which we had a great view of the Continental Divide. RMNP is a couple of miles up the road and the area is beautiful!

• Stayed: September 2008, traveled as a couple
Reviewed September 10, 2008

A reasonably priced, unassuming, clean, and homey place. A mile or so from one entrance to Rocky Mountain National Park. Grocery store across the street, restaurant next door, Domino's Pizza a few doors down. An easy walk or drive to downtown Estes Park. Friendly owners.

What stood out for me is how much the owners know about the Park and its trails. In fact one of the owners is an author of the Trail Tracks Rocky Mountain National Park Panoramic Hiking Map. This is the map that you see all over town; it doesn't just show contour lines, like the USGS topo maps. Instead it resembles a real-life aerial painting of the Park, showing mountains, valleys, and trails. It lists distances, and degree of difficulty of the trails, which are shown in bold colors.

I hiked up Flattop Mountain one day, and when I returned, mentioned it to one of the owners. She knew all about the trail, knew the hitching post where I turned around because of a white-out, told me some history of the trail, and said I was right to turn around.

She also said that hiking guests can leave their expected return times with the motel, and if you don't show up on time, they check your room, then ask the Rangers to check the parking lot at your trail head for your car, and if it's still there, to look out for you. In effect they become the Responsible Party, with whom you can leave your hiking route and return time in case of problems. This is a great service, and should make this motel a good choice for avid hikers.

• Stayed: September 2008, traveled solo
1  Thank NewOrleansHiker
Reviewed September 1, 2008

My husband and I booked two nights in a family unit after reading the reviews here. When my sister had to cancel at the last minute due to work, I contacted them and they couldn't have been nicer. Our reservations were changed to a king balcony room. When we arrived we were greeted by very friendly staff and found a nice, large room that was immaculately clean. The bed was very comfortable, the mini refrigerator was great for keeping our drinks cold, the microwave came in handy and it was really nice to have a designated parking space right outside of our room. In addition, we actually had two luggage racks so one of us didn't have to put their suitcase on the floor (which is the way it is in most hotels). The location right next to the Rocky Mountains National Park entrance was just an added bonus.

This is an older hotel, so if you're looking for a "cookie cutter" type chain hotel, this is probably not for you. If you're looking for a comfortable, super clean room with friendly staff at a great price, give this one a chance. As for us, we've stayed at enough of those chain hotels where we've found rude desk clerks and semi-clean rooms; this was so much nicer. If we come back this way again, we'll definitely stay here again.

Thanks to the staff for making our stay so comfortable.

• Stayed: August 2008, traveled as a couple
1  Thank deserthiker
Reviewed August 23, 2008

Booked this after all the glowing reviews on tripadvisor. I was disappointed. The good news is that the room was VERY clean, which is always very important. But, the decor was very non descript. Cheap furniture, dreary bedding, etc. A cute rustic mountain decor would have been appropiate. The motel is right on the road so the noise was awful all night long. The fact that it is close to the park is not really important since the town is not far away. I would recommend staying in town which is very walker friendly and charming.

• Stayed: August 2008, traveled as a couple
3  Thank Elaine525
mtnpoet2, Operations manager at Alpine Trail Ridge Inn, responded to this reviewResponded August 25, 2008

Well, this reviewer has some valid points, but as Paul Harvey says, "Now let's hear the Rest of the story". She obiously was staying in our Western units, which are our oldest units, and scheduled for major upgrading of furniture, linens, and decor this winter when we are closed for the season. And remember, these are the least expensive of our three types of rooms, so that one is not going to get the "cute mountain decor" at budget rates. Unfortunately, the knotty pine furniture which used to be quaint is no longer acceptable, and the new honeycomb blinds and sheers which should have been in place have been backordered since May with problems with suppliers. Yes, we probably pushed it one year too long on replacing blankets, but there is a limited amount of money for capital improvements in a seasonal economy.

I recently received a bid on replacing all the windows with nice quality thermal pane windows, but with the estimated cost of the furniture, linens, tile floors, and draperies, the windows will have to wait another year. The windows would help on road noise, but we actually get very few complaints on road noise unless someone is sleeping with the windows open. Also, at this time of year, there are more motorcycles travelling, and we have noticed a higher level of noise from certain brands of motorcycles.

As you can see from other reviews, the ground floor and Balcony rooms are much more spacious and modern, and there it quite a difference between them and the Western units. I thank her for her apt comments, and I think the best I can say is to come see the changes next summer, and you will see a huge difference in that whole building.