“Perfect retreat in the mountains!”
Review of Glacier Lodge

Glacier Lodge
Reviewed February 28, 2008

I will never forget our time spent at Glacier Lodge. The mister and I were looking for a mountain retreat, a little peace and quiet, and to be closer to nature. We sure got it! The first morning I awoke to the snow falling on the river and the sounds of a crackling fire, courtesy of my husband. We spent our time in the nearby RMNP and exploring the mountains above the lodge. The hosts were wonderful and very friendly. We even met some of our "neighbors" - elk, birds, big horns. It was heaven! We'll be back. I now compare every vacation to this one. Thanks Glacier Lodge for setting the standard.

Shelton's
Buda, TX

• Stayed: October 2007, traveled as a couple

Reviewed November 1, 2007

Overall The Glacier Lodge was OK for an inexpensive place. The views of the river and wildlife were beautiful. The accomodations left something to be desired. The furniture and carpet were old and worn, there were no hangars in the closet, and the bathroom was small. The bed was hard and the pillows worn out. I thought it might just be the small, inexpensive unit I stayed in, but I checked out a few other units before I left and they did not look much better. I will look somewhere else next time I go to Rocky Mountain National Park.

• Stayed: October 2007, traveled solo
4  Thank edevlin
Reviewed October 25, 2007

This was our 11th time at this property during the past 11 years. We stay in Wannamingo, and have the past 7 years for 7 - 14 days, I believe next year it will be 15, and I couldn't be more excited. The time flies, because it is the most relaxing vacation we take during the year. We hike, relax, read, walk, run, visit with staff, wander into town on occasion, watch movies, if the kids come with play games, have relatives stop by to have a meal, grill out, and just enjoy our home away from home for 2 weeks each summer. The Ranglos (owners) are awesome people, who we've enjoyed getting to know and try to show them some hospitality while we're there. We've also met other families who come back during the same time that we do, and have started friendships. So if your looking for somewhere to go that you can just relax and enjoy the gorgeous scenery this is your place. They also offer family reunions, which is how we got introduced to the place, a friend had her reunion years ago.

• Stayed: June 2007, traveled as a couple
Reviewed October 13, 2007

Perfectly situated in a great location for exploring Estes Park and Rocky Mountain National Park. Wonderful amenities-- especially for kids. We spent one morning horseback riding up the mountain from the stables on the grounds. The entire staff is extremely helpful. We met several families that have been going there annually for 20+ years. A true delight. One warning-- the pool starts at 4 feet deep... not good for kids who cannot swim. Overall, a wonderful experience and value.

• Stayed: August 2007, traveled with family
1  Thank high_standards07
Reviewed September 26, 2007

We stayed in the Vista cabin for 4 nights the 2nd week of Sept. and everyone is right about this place. We can see why people return and why they love it. It suited our needs perfectly and we liked the fact that Glacier Lodge is located in a quieter spot outside of town (a spur section of Rt. 66), but that it was also convenient to the Beaver Meadows entrance of RMNP. A plus is the great elk viewing only a few minutes down the road heading into town! The view and soothing sound of the river was a little slice of heaven and the decent heater kept us toasty on those colder nights. We could even hear an elk bugling on the property one night. We enjoyed being able to use the internet in the office of the lodge and we also liked being able to read through the dining menus at the lodge office. We asked Derrick (the owner) for some restaurant recommendations and we liked all three that he recommended for various types of meals (Rock Inn, Dunraven and the Sundeck), especially The Dunraven Inn (on Rt. 66). We felt Glacier Lodge was a very good value with a lot of nice advantages and it's the next best thing to being able to stay in the Park itself.

• Stayed: September 2007, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Karen D
Reviewed September 25, 2007

After reading trip reviews of this hotel in Estes Park I decided to make a 2 night reservation. 4 people in the cabin called Driftwood. We really enjoyed this location being right on the stream. We cooked out both nights on the gas grill and the porch is really nice with chairs to just sit and relax. Inside, everything we needed was in the kitchen, table for eating. At the office you can grab a newspaper, book, or games for your stay. My parents stayed in the bedroom and my daughter and I in the living area. It contains a trundle bed for sleeping at night. I have back trouble and I always bring a twin blow up bed whenever I travel. There was plenty of room for it. They provide wood for the fireplace, and give you fresh towels everyday. This place is a great value for the money and I would certainly return and stay there again. Very close to the Beaver Meadows entrance and not far from town.

• Stayed: September 2007, traveled with family
2  Thank Janders01
Reviewed August 11, 2007

Mrs. Fred & I just got back from staying a week in the Wind River cabin with our two daughters, and we loved every minute of it. Great location...right on the Big Thompson River. A neighbor went fishing every morning in the river and always seemed to catch at least one trout. The cabin itself was very roomy, had hardwood floors in the living area and a huge fireplace. Clean and comfortable. The pool was heated, so the girls loved that.
But it is the little extra things that make Glacier Lodge stand out--fresh towels and cords of firewood delivered daily to your doorstep, marshmellow roasts, guitar player/singer night, soda saloon, the Thursday breakfast in the woods, free use of the internet in the office....ahhhh, yes we are definitely coming back.

• Stayed: August 2007, traveled with family