“Great Experience for Young Anglers! (plus Dan's Top Tips)”

Trout Haven Fishing Pond
More attraction details
Owner description: Our stocked lake is a fun place for all ages. Fishing poles, all equipment, and bait are free. You pay only by the fish inch. Fishing makes people happy. It's great family fun.
Reviewed September 11, 2013

We had a few hours to kill in Estes Park before heading back to Denver for our flight - my son really wanted to 'fish' so we headed to Trout Haven....very professional, very helpful. Within 10 minutes my son reeled in a 14-inch rainbow trout. They charge $1 per inch for the fish plus $1 to clean the fish ($15 total). Pole, tackle and bait are free of charge. Great experience for my son. Wish I would have known about this place the day before as we would have loved to grill our catch ourselves...(we were not able to take the fish as we were boarding a plane later that afternoon so we 'donated' the fish to the organization).

Dan's Top Tip #1: If you are traveling, bring a small container with dry ice to keep the catch fresh so you can cook yourself later.
Dan's Top Tip #2: Fish on the end of the lake closer to the River - it seemed deeper there and many people were catching fish.
Dan's Top Tip #3: The Trout seemed to like the shrimp over the meal worms.

Aloha and good luck!

in 13 reviews
"blast"
in 5 reviews

Reviewed August 8, 2013

My son told me his daughters wanted to go fishing, so we went here. They had a blast! They didn't necessarily want to fish, but wanted to watch, play with the bait. When we finally caught a fish (16" rainbow) they were really excited. Well worth the $1 per inch.

Reviewed August 6, 2013

We went late one weekday afternoon. The place wasn't especially crowded. But the staff didn't seem particularly interested in being there. They never came out to help us bait hooks, or give any tips or suggestions. In fact, I only saw them help another fisherman once during the hour we were there. Only a few people caught a fish. Then, at the end of the day, they cleaned our fish and put it in a bag filled with ice...but all they did was gut it and de-head it, they did not filet it. Since most of the visitors there are tourists, you would think they would make it "ready to cook". We've been out on several occasions in other locations with fishing guides, and when they "clean" the fish, they always filet it.

1  Thank ImaPickyTraveller
Reviewed August 3, 2013

First let me say you must arrive early for two reasons 1.The wait stinks after the day has kicked into gear here. 2. There is no shade
The staff is friendly and helpful if you need assistance. All that you need is provided so that takes a lot of the stress our fishing especially if you are not that experienced. It was a lot if fun. You have to have patience and wait for a good bite. It's great when someone catches one there is a lot of commotion and cheering . Trout Haven is not catch and release but ate reasonable with their pricing. I didn't realize trout has a lot of small bones so be careful when eating. We grilled our catch that night and everything was tasty. TH also cleans and packs on ice for a buck. My daughter caught two nice sized fish. It was fun, all children big and small would enjoy.

4  Thank Barbara H
See more reviews
Reviewed July 22, 2013

We went to the Trout Haven twice on our recent trip to Estes Park. Our 8 year old desperately wanted to catch a "big" fish for our dinner. Unfortunately, we had no success and ate Subway instead! Others around us seemed to have luck so it was frustrating, but that is how fishing can be. They use mealworms for bait and it they are the worst thing I have ever smelled! So bring wet wipes with you! And ask for tips and instructions as they don't seem to readily provide. I'm sure we'll try again on our next trip as true fishermen never give up!

2  Thank Nancy W