“Away from the Tourists”

Dao House
Chicago, Illinois
“Away from the Tourists”
Reviewed July 3, 2013

The Lodge is outside of 'downtown' Estes Park. This is great if you want to be away from the crowds and tourist traps, but it is a bit of a drive to restaurants, shops, gas, and Rocky Mountain National Park. Luckily the friendly staff showed us a 'short cut' to get to RMNP without having to go through Estes Park proper to get there. The room was nice and I enjoyed the 24 hour water and tea making capability in the lobby, but I did encounter some specific issues. By the time I went down to breakfast our first morning, a lot of items were gone (one cereal, butter, napkins, bagels, juice, forks) and no one came around the whole time I was there to refill anything. The second morning was better and someone was refilling items on a regular basis. The shower in our room was an issue. The first day, I had to struggle to find a comfortable temperature. The second day was a lost cause. It was either scalding hot or ice cold. I ended up not being able to shower at all and washed my hair in the small bathroom sink.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank CldChicago

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (50)
Algonquin, Illinois
Reviewed June 21, 2013

We spent a wonderful week in one of the cabins in Aspen Lodge. It was my boyfriend and four kids and the cabin, "Trailhead" was plenty big. We enjoyed meeting Ricky the cowboy. My daughter was very scared to ride a horse and he took very good care of her. Brian was very attentive and very friendly during our second horse riding adventure. The restaurant was amazing and the food was yummy, we recommend the smoked tilapia sandwich and finish it off with Will's warm brownie topped with dark godiva chocolate. By the way, Will is not only a great chef but a wonderful person with a great spirit. Our waiters Elijah and Soloman were so friendly with an easy smile everytime we came back to eat. Our girls had a cute crush on them. During our stay in Aspen Lodge we not only felt like family but also was sadden to leave. I also met Amber our housekeeper and she was a sweetheart. The cabins were clean and very spacious. We are looking forward to our next trip to Estes Park and planning to stay again with our new friends in Aspen Lodge. Thanks again everyone. :)

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
Reviewed June 5, 2013 via mobile

My husband and I were married here in 2011. Our family and friends said it was the best wedding they had ever been too. Granted we had a carnival.

We hope that all the issues we had in the planning process are no longer an issue with the new ownership. They were closed all winter and many people's reservations were missing.

The whole place is beautiful. We had a several day long vacation with family and friends. The pool is great, the cabins are adorable. There is even some bears!

• Stayed July 2012
colorado
Reviewed May 24, 2013

Great time, very clean place, nice and quiet and rooms were an unexpected surprise, normally mountain hotels and resorts are smelly, stuffy, and quite frankly are old and stink. This place was very clean, towels were like new and soft, bed comfortable, view from room great, no mold in bathroom, and room was fresh. The staff was very friendly and attentive. Parking is very convenient. TV could use a few more channels and the breakfast was nothing to speak of but if you want a relaxing hotel this is it. Now the big plus in Colorado, NO DOGS, no dog butts on the bed or furniture or in the lobby or barking dogs, why folks think we want the filth of their dogs in rooms is beyond me. This resort also has a spa and restaurant. I think you will enjoy the lobby, high ceilings built upon a log cabin style, very relaxing. I am a critical traveler and this place was very relaxing and went beyond my expectations for a Colorado hotel in the mountains.

Room Tip: All rooms you will find clean and quiet, they also have cabins which are all nicely located.
Lakewood, Colorado
Reviewed May 13, 2013

This is by far one of the most relaxing places we've ever stayed. The views are incredible from every room in the lodge but we were in room 106 and the view from the balcony was unbeatable. We did not eat at their restaurant because it's pricey but the continental breakfast was okay. They had fresh fruit, which was appreciated, the standard fare otherwise. The two complaints I might have is that there isn't a coffee pot in the room and they didn't have any coffee until about 7:30 a.m. which is late for us early risers. The other complaint is that there isn't a hair dryer in the room so I couldn't wash my hair or it would just frizz without a dryer. Plus, this time of year it's cool and you don't want to go outside with wet hair. It sprinkled but it wasn't extremely cold or wet. There was a ton of wildlife about. We saw elk, rabbits, lots of birds and at Lily Lake the brown cutthroat trout were spawning. The bed was very comfortable; firm. Not many channels on TV but that's not what you want to spend time doing anyway. Their Tai Chi class was a workout for my husband who used to teach karate to kids. Their Master Chen is pleasant and very understanding and also the owner of the place. The great room always had a real fire crackling in the fireplace and the chairs are so comfortable you don't want to get out of them. There are also wooden patio swings on the balcony outside each room to enjoy the view. The staff are very pleasant and couldn't have been nicer! We will definitely return here. At 9,200 ft., you may have trouble breathing if you aren't used to the altitude.

Room Tip: Whether you get a cottage or a room in the lodge, I don't think you could go wrong. We enjoyed t...
Denver, Colorado
Reviewed May 6, 2013

I am willing to give this place the benefit of the doubt because it was off season and there is apparently a new owner. But nothing about The Aspen Lodge suggests a resort or spa at this point. We were using a Living Social voucher to try it out (which by the way is never the 50% savings they say it is these days) and was given a 1st floor lodge room. I never understand why they give out the lowest end rooms when the hotel is empty. It would make more sense to have the person's first experience be the best and give them the 2nd floor room which has great views. The front desk staff are nice enough but again not what you would expect at a resort and spa. The rooms are dated but clean, so no real complaints there. The lobby is rustic and matches the Rocky Mountain surroundings nicely. The location is about 7 miles outside of town so this is not the place to go if you want to walk around the main street of Estes Park or to the Stanley Hotel, etc. I'd say it is about a 10 minute drive on a windy scenic road. Nice for seclusion though.
The restaurant.. again, it was off season but there was no real menu to speak of. They were in between menus and had a random selection of things like hamburgers, grilled chicken salad, eggplant rollantini, etc. It was all very basic but we were told that the following week would spark off their new menu. We ate dinner and had some drinks there and I forgot to give them the little strip of paper that was a $10 credit from the Living Social deal. I casually brought that up the next day and they weren't budging on it which I thought was bad business. The coupon was hand written on a scrap of paper and while I was at fault for not remembering to present it, we spent over $100 at that restaurant and they couldn't just take that off the next morning? Not a big deal as it's only $10 but it's really about customer service.
Hopefully this place gets it's act together because the natural beauty surrounding it is breathtaking. But the rooms/ground, restaurant and service need to go a long way before becoming a resort and spa.

Room Tip: Second floor of the lodge rooms have great views
2 Thank Mnree7
Plano, Texas
Reviewed April 28, 2013

My daughter just had her wedding at the lodge. What a terrific experience. The employees worked so hard to meet our every need. The view from the Long's Peak room was beautiful. It snowed after the ceremony and during the reception..how beautiful....The chef and wedding coordinators were excellent. If you are thinking about a mountain wedding venue you should consider Aspen Lodge.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled with family