“Peaceful Lodge”

Dao House
San Francisco, California
“Peaceful Lodge”
Reviewed February 23, 2013

The Lodge is nestled between two gorgeous mountains peaks which made me feel like nature was hugging me! I was amazed at the relaxed and peaceful energy I experience there. I felt secluded although I knew I was only a few miles from the Estes Parks downtown area. My room was spacious and my bed was extremely comfortable. I had a living social voucher for the one night stay with a dinner credit. My dinner was delicious and reasonable priced. It was my first time visiting and I will go back (even without the living social deal!). If you are looking for a relaxing and peaceful stay, stay at the Aspen Lodge. The mountains are healing!

Room Tip: Get the room looking at Longs Peak!
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (50)
Broomfield, Colorado
Reviewed February 23, 2013

I could write a book about the attributes of this mountainous get away or should I say get back to your natural self place.This is my first experience at the Aspen Lodge. enjoyed the mountainous, curvy drive from Estes Park, only seven miles and into the mountains and trees. The secluded feeling is amazing. Since I arrived when it was dark, it was difficult to see the views. How spectacular to see the Twin Sister mountains and Longs peak. The lodge rooms afford a peaceful balcony. I was on the ground floor and available to walk out into the front court yard that is lit well. The beds are comfy and I had a full nights, restful sleep. I awoke wondering where I was and remembering my dreams.The main lodge room itself is gorgeous and the decor is mostly western with a huge fireplace that is always burning warm. The Chinese decor is beautiful. the relaxing water fountain adds to the calm effect of nature in the main lodge. The staff our exceptional, from the greeting when you first arrive to the ladies keeping up with the continental breakfast array. Wow, fruit, pastry, ooblong tea, coffee...and more. I sat around late last night and had the most pleasure meeting Chen and talking with him about his history and his vision of the lodge. He was easy going, friendly and someone that once you begin speaking with him, you don' t want to stop. He does it all, as you will see him answering the main lodge phone, cleaning up after an event and always checking on his staff to make sure they have what they need. I also met Samantha and she is dynamite. I enjoyed speaking with her as well. She has great style and flair and keeps working until the work is done. She is friendly and down to earth. The scenery here is amazing and the vibes are positive and relaxing. It is a retreat within a retreat. I m excited to take some Ti chi classes and try the food. I love the western mountain seclusion infused with Chinese history and culture. It is a combination that is compliment of each other. This is a place is you don't want to miss in Colorado, whether for a night or a week stay. A wedding would be gorgeous here as well. I live not too far from here and this is my new retreat of spirituality and a place I can re connect my mind with my body. I am anticipating all the new while still enjoying the already established culture here. I encourage everyone of all ages, backgrounds to come here to experience, either with a family, couple, solo or friends. After all we are all human and it is natural for us to be in nature. A reunion would be perfect here as well.

Room Tip: All the rooms are comfortable and have beautiful views.
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled solo
Denver, Colorado
Reviewed February 21, 2013

I had been here before, it was a western theme lodge, in a nice setting, but now, this western theme setting now has mixed stuff with a combination of a China look; seemed a bit strange. They were trying to save money as the rooms, the lobby and the restrurant temp was at about 60 -62 degrees. The food and service was good, just hard to enjoy when it was soooo darn cold! If you plan on going, wait for summer!

Room Tip: Bring lots of warm clothing or wait until summer
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
4 Thank d g
Kyle W, Manager at Dao House, responded to this review, March 6, 2013
We apologize for the inconveniences that you faced during you stay with us here at Aspen Lodge Resort & Spa. We here at Aspen Lodge are converting this rustic lodge into a peaceful retreat for our guests to enjoy. We are undergoing constant renovations to make the stay as comfortable as possible. Maintaining the temperature in a large cabin like structure can be slightly difficult when the outside temperature drops below zero. We are under new management and are constantly trying to find the best solutions to fix the inconveniences that you stated.

We apologize for the inconveniences that you faced during your stay here and we hope to see you again in the future.

Thanks,
Rockford, Illinois
Reviewed February 13, 2013

Bought voucher through Living Social. Called that day to check on dinner because restaurant is closed during the week. I was told that the cook would be making something and not to worry. When got there, the water main had been broken for 4 days and the cook would not be able to make a thing. Don't know WHY the lady I talked to 4 hours earlier told me dinner would be no problem. Then, the rooms were ice cold. We had to ask for heaters for our two rooms. The temp was below 60 degrees! It felt like the heat was hardly working. Ladies - there is no hair dryer by the way. The outside of the lodge is pretty and the main entryway is pretty, but rest is pretty old. The bed is pretty comfortable and it has a nice deck/porch outside the rooms. Besides that one lady who didn't tell me the truth, rest of staff seemed pretty nice. They tell me they have been renovating and have lots more to go. One day, this might be a great place. Also, it is called a Spa and the spa is not open! This should be stated on their web site. They do schedule massages in the main building but no real spa at this time.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled with family
4 Thank n0rsk1
Kyle W, Manager at Dao House, responded to this review, March 1, 2013
We apologize for the inconveniences that you encountered during your stay with us. The last few weeks we have been hit with some very cold weather, which has caused some issues around the lodge. As you mentioned our pipes burst and the restaurant was forced to close. We apologize for this situation and how the miscommunication on our part caused further distress to you.

We are undergoing constant renovations to provide the comfort that our guests require. During this process we try to provide further accommodations to allow such comforts, such as heaters, hair dryers, etc.

Again we apologize for the inconveniences that you encountered during our stay with us here at Aspen Lodge Resort & Spa. We hope that we will see you again and provide the experience that you desire.

Reviewed December 22, 2012 via mobile

We had a goal different picture in mind when taking a sleigh ride. Stubborn horses, figure 8 on property, not good! The food however is super tasty! Service with a smile! And great bottle wine service!

Stayed December 2012
1 Thank Kristil and Jer... J
Kyle W, Manager at Dao House, responded to this review, February 25, 2013
Kristil and Jeremy,

We apologize for the inadequate Sleigh Ride that you experienced. When new management took over here at Aspen Lodge Resort & Spa we found these horses, Rosie and Cody in very bad shape. The previous owners did not provide the care these animals needed. It was truly sad about their past health, but we are bringing these incredible animals back to life with constant care and exercise.

Again we are truly sorry about your experience and welcome you back! Rosie and Cody are in great shape now and run the sleigh without any issues.

Thanks,
Arvada, Colorado
Reviewed December 13, 2012

I just had a one night stay here, but I have to say, it was the most pleasant visit I've had anywhere! The entire staff was very warm and welcoming, the atmosphere was beautiful, the beds were very comfortable, and the peace and quiet in the room was amazing! Coming from a busy, hectic world, I wanted to stay awake just to listen to the silence! I also indulged in a massage and a dinner of shrimp scampi, of which both were absolutely delicious! I will definitely be returning....

Room Tip: We stayed in a lodge room, facing west, and it was wonderful!
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled with friends
Denver, Colorado
Reviewed December 10, 2012

There are many beautiful places to stay in Estes, but what a wonderfully unique experience! Aspen Lodge offers a lot of fun activities, beautiful setting and good food. If you come up you definitely have to meet the new owner, Master Chen- a very kind and interesting individual who is transforming the Aspen Lodge into a much different experience than any other lodge in the area.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled with family