“The Worst! Do Not Go! No! No!”

El Mex-Kal Family Mexican Restaurant
Ranked #46 of 129 Restaurants in Estes Park
Cuisines: Mexican
Dining options: Reservations
Dining options: Reservations
Boulder, Colorado
“The Worst! Do Not Go! No! No!”
Reviewed April 19, 2013

I'll start out with the good. Amazing service. Okay, that being said, the only edible thing was the salsa and chips. I ordered the fish tacos. The fish had gone bad and smelled and tasted like a hot summer day on a fishing dock. I only had a tiny bite before I had to push it away. Gross! My friend ordered chicken carnitas which were almost all onions and peppers with a few pieces of chicken thrown in. I had 1/2 a tortilla of his but was grossed out. It was like a onion taco. The margaritas were sticky sweet and had almost no tequilla in them. The waiter was really nice and got us some new less sweet margaritas but they still were made with cheap mix. For my hideous fish tacos, the carnitas, and the bad margaritas, we paid $49.00 after a 10% coupon and went back to the hotel hungry. This is supposed to be a vacation, not a weight loss event. Avoid this terrible place!

• Visited April 2013
2 Thank Boulderskies

Aurora, Colorado
“Lip Smacking Shredded Beef Burrito!”
Reviewed March 9, 2013

We were visiting Estes Park for my wife's birthday and decided to try this restaurant since it was just across the street from our hotel and there was a massive snowstorm in the area. I got the Mexican Burrito with shredded beef and it was most excellent. We are from New Mexico so we know Mexican food and this is exceptional. The burrito was HUGE and smothered with green chile, guacamole, sour cream, lettuce, and tomatoes. The shredded beef was juicy and tender, seasoned to perfection. The green chile had a little bite to it, just right. The waiter guessed that I might like spicier food so, at no charge, and without even requesting, he brought me two grilled jalapenos. Now that's service! We will be back.

• Visited March 2013
2 Thank Leo D
Colorado
“Excellent crunchy chili rellenos!”
Reviewed February 28, 2013

This restaurant was recommended to us last summer, but we finally gave it a try last week and was amazed! The chips and salsa were very good, just the right amount of seasoning. I had a side order of a crunchy chili relleno covered with green chili. It was the best I have had in years! We definitely will go back for more!

• Visited February 2013
Aurora, CO
“Excellent food”
Reviewed February 20, 2013

Service was good and the food was exceptional. There were four of us and each of us raved about our food. It was some of the best Mexican food I've had in Colorado.

• Visited November 2012
Estes Park, Colorado
“Good food but COLD in the winter”
Reviewed January 22, 2013

This is a good Mexican restaurant with terrific food, service and margaritas. The atmosphere is ordinary cafe style. It is just too bad that the heating system in the winter is so poor that we had to eat with our coats on really taking away from a relaxed dining experience. But if you're going in mild weather, I would recommend it.

• Visited January 2013