TripAdvisor
Estes Park
Post
Inbox
Search

“Recommended by the Competition”
Review of Bird & Jim

Bird & Jim
Ranked #17 of 148 Restaurants in Estes Park
Description: At Bird and Jim we are defining Colorado cuisine with our ever evolving seasonal and ingredient driven menus sourced from the Front Range of Colorado and beyond. Our menus are influenced by our artisan approach to cooking, the ardent nature of our neighbors, and the farms from which we source. We have created a rustic yet modern charm offering stunning views of Rocky Mountain National Park.
Reviewed September 30, 2019

Bird & Jim is a relatively new restaurant in Estes Park. An employee at a competing restaurant recommended it. As we found out, one of the principals worked with the referring individual for years, and the new restaurant is not a direct competitor, menu wise.

B & J seems to be very popular. It is so popular there is not enough parking on a weeknight. One can only imagine what it is like on the weekend. Be that as it may, it is a good choice, with drop-in seating in the bar area and reservations in the main dining area. The menu looks delicious, and there are some exciting dining options. One is bar type seating looking into the kitchen. Guests are served directly from the kitchen and can watch some of the action.

On this evening, we were somewhat tired of fancy food and chose burgers. I had beef, and my wife had a veggie. They were both excellent if a bit pricey, and sides were up to par. Service was a bit ragged, but not horrible. We would definitely give it another shot the next time we're in town. I would love to try one of the fancier dishes to see how they handle it.

Date of visit: September 2019
Leinad_9, Guest Relations Manager at Bird & Jim, responded to this reviewResponded September 30, 2019

Thank you, JacksonSE, for dining with us, and for posting your mixed--but definitely leaning in the right direction!--review. Parking can indeed prove to be a challenge, but I'm glad you found a spot during your visit, and that you and your wife enjoyed your burgers. Please know that we truly appreciate your support, and that we look forward to hosting you again the next time you're in Estes Park.

Write a reviewReviews (454)

Reviewed September 30, 2019

We went there after a hike in Estes Park. The workers were all friendly and the food was delicious. I had a special dish which was french toast with special syrup on it, berries and powder sugar. It was absolutely delicious. The kid's men was pricey although they gave more than an adult could eat, not sure why. We have fantastic service and it was cute inside.

Date of visit: September 2019

Thank you, LindasS624, for dining with us, and for posting your positive review. I'm glad we were able to satisfy the appetites you worked up during your hike, and we do hope to have another opportunity to host you soon!

Reviewed September 30, 2019

The bar was very busy but there was enough staff for the dining room & plenty of seating. Our waiter was very slow in getting to us. Once he did, we ordered 1 beer. It took 10 minutes to receive it. We ordered the Happy Hour burger. I requested avocado. 2 tables that came in after us received their food ahead of us. We waited, waited & waited some more. Those people left. Finally, our food arrived. The waiter never asked if we wanted another beer any time up to this point. But my husband had. Never received. I noticed that I was missing the avocado. When our waiter came out I had to flag him down & asked for the avocdo. He came back with a small dish that had 1/2 avocado round side up. It looked a little strange to me because of the color. When I turned it over--- it was 1/2 dark brown and was not appitiving at all. So I sent it back. There was never an apology or an offer to get me another. That should have NEVER been served much less put in a bowl to be served. Our burger was just like any other burger we could have bought anywhere other than a fast food joint. We finally received our check. The waiter never thanked us for coming in or apologizing for the crappy serve. The dining room was not that busy. We won't be back!

Date of visit: September 2019

Thank you, deelucked, for dining with us, and for posting your review. I do wish, however, that you had taken the time to speak to the manager on duty about your lousy experience, so that s/he might have had an opportunity to make things right for you. As it is, I can only apologize for our having failed to provide you with the positive experience you were right to have expected, and hope that you found another dining establishment in town that was able to serve your needs.

Reviewed September 30, 2019 via mobile

Came in at 5 and was told the outside service was as unavailable but we could order at bar. We did, sat outside and our food was delivered promptly. While the deck is right on the road it is as nice with a great view. The edamame were good while the trout dip was a little overdone with a lot of cream cheese/sour cream.
I would recommend sitting outdoors with a beer for sure.

Date of visit: September 2019

Thank you, jlambuga, for coming to see us, and for posting your mixed review. I'm glad you enjoyed the edamame, and the view, but sorry that the trout dip just didn't work for you. We look forward to hosting you again soon!

Reviewed September 27, 2019 via mobile

I visited Bird & Jim after reading other good reviews. We had 7:30 PM reservation and were promptly seated. Then the wait began. (It was very, very busy.) Took quite a while to receive drinks, appetizers. Waitress was efficient, tho not chatty at all. Again, the place was packed, she was on the run. Food arrived after 1 hr 15 minutes. So... the food...
The homemade9 size "simple salad", with roasted chicken. Let me just say, you could take your 20 bucks, go to the Safeway, buy a box of mixed greens, some cherry tomatoee, a rotisserie chicken and a bottle of buttermilk dressing, and boom - you could make 4 huge salads for the 20 bucks.
My brother also had the simple salad. Instead of adding chicken, he chose the scallops appetizer for his protein. They looked delicious in a creamy sauce. I'm allergic, so the wild game meatloaf served with mashed potatoes and green vegetables. It was only lukewarm. I encouraged him to ask them to warm it up, but, our waitress wasn't checking on us often (busy), and I don't think he wanted another 15 minute wait. The meatloaf itself seemed dry, the texture was kind of chewy, and the sauce on top had an odd spicey flavor.
I'm sorry we didn't enjoy this venue more. It was loud, crowded, slow and extremely overpriced, in my book.

Date of visit: September 2019

Thank you, gshender, for giving us a try, but I'm sorry we failed to provide you with the kind of experience you were expecting at our restaurant. Your comments and concerns will serve us well in our efforts to improve everything we do for all who would enjoy Bird & Jim.

Been to Bird & Jim? Share your experiences!