All reviewsflush toiletssolar showerbear boxestent padglacier basinpit toiletsbear lockerrunning watercub lake trailwarm showerrocky hilllongs peakgenerator noisecamper sitesbear proofcar trafficfire pit
Reviewed December 30, 2011

We stayed here the first week of September and loved it. I made reservations ahead of time to make sure we got a site. We were on site 130-a tent site in A loop. It was perfect because it was large, just a short walk from the parking spot, was private, and backed up to wilderness. During breakfast on 2 mornings we were able to watch the mule deer meander behind us. While we slept at night we could hear the elk bugling...cool most of the time except it kept us up one night. We didn't really mind though. We felt like we were really experiencing the park from our campsite. It did look like some of the sites were close together and small, but if you're in a tent, and can reserve ahead of time, you should be able to get a more private site.
In addition, the park is a short drive to Estes Park, visitor centers, and hiking trails. Also just down the road is a lookout of the valley for some prime views and wildlife watching. You can also walk to a shuttle stop to get to the trailheads so you really don't have to drive much. The park personnel were also very nice and helpful.
While on a shuttle we spoke with people staying at one of the nearby RV parks and they were very unhappy and felt like they were in a parking lot. We told them they should consider moving to Moraine for a better experience because we loved it. No, you don't get the amenities there, but who needs the amenities when you're out in nature like that. Just my opinion.
It's not hard for us to enjoy our time in any national park campground, but I can honestly say we loved the park and thoroughly enjoyed our time there. Can't wait to go back.

• Stayed: September 2011, traveled as a couple
5  Thank mblaanz
Reviewed October 14, 2011

Agree with the recommendations for a Loop C site, which is where we stayed. The campsites are quite close together--if you want to not see your neighbor I'd go for one of the "walk-in" sites, which are only maybe 50 yards of walking but often much more secluded by boulders or small hills. Bathrooms have regular flush toilets (at least in C loop), sinks with cold water and soap (but bring your own towel) and are very well maintained. Appears relatively unaffected so far by the pine beetle. Plenty of shade at the campsites and beautiful views of mountains all around.

Only about a 10-15 min drive into Estes Park on mostly main and very well-marked roads, so it's very easy to run in for supplies. Free hiker shuttle goes to the main East side trialheads (and there are two trailheads directly off the campground) so you can leave your car behind (DO leave your car behind--the trailhead lots fill up early!) Also, be sure and stop by the visitor's center for a trail map or ask for one on the shuttle--makes trail distances much clearer.

• Stayed: August 2011, traveled with family
4  Thank babycobalt
Reviewed September 14, 2011

Granted, I pitched my tent in Loop A, which is all that was available. At these sites they mix RVs and tents, so I spent the afternoons listening to the generator next door, and woke up every morning to the lovely view of a bus. Loop C and D seemed much quieter and more peaceful with better views but still, campsites are pretty close together.

They sell only ice, wood and some sodas at the campsite, and the lady who sells them is not exactly very friendly or helpful.

One thing I wish someone had mentioned to me, either in a review or onsite, is that there is a free bus that shuttles visitors from the campground to popular hiking sites where the parking lots fill up early. I only found this out after waiting for a parking spot, and then seeing the bus pick up people at Bear Lake. It would be helpful if the park brochures or the campground leaflets mentioned this, but since they don't, I will. Leave your car at the campsite!

Having said this, I will definitely to back to Moraine Park, but I will plan better.

Room Tip: Loop C or D are best for tents. Avoid A unless you're driving an RV.
  • Stayed: August 2011, traveled with family
5  Thank pagespan
Reviewed September 8, 2011

Moraine Park was scenic and quiet. We had a walk-in site, which I HIGHLY recommend, so we also had privacy and space. Our site had a marvelous view of Long's Peak. We fell asleep to the sound of bugling elk and woke to the distant call of coyotes.

It was clean, too.

I can't wait to go back!

• Stayed: September 2011, traveled as a couple
2  Thank ZipW
Reviewed August 30, 2011

My husband and I just stayed at Moraine campground for a second time last week. It is one of our all time favorite campgrounds. Close to Estes Park, and only a 1.5-2h drive from Denver it's very convenient and easy to get to. Rocky Mountain National Park is also one of our favorite parks and this campground is in a great location for exploring the mountains and also has great views of them. There are a few sites which are close together, but the map on recreation.gov where you reserve sites is fairly accurate with the spacing of the sites so you can see how close you'll be to others. Also, there are several walk-to sites, specifically in A loop, which offer more privacy. I highly recommend this campground.

• Stayed: August 2011, traveled as a couple