All reviewsflush toiletssolar showerbear boxestent padglacier basinpit toiletsbear lockerrunning watercub lake trailwarm showerrocky hilllongs peakgenerator noisecamper sitesbear proofcar trafficfire pit
Reviewed September 14, 2011

Granted, I pitched my tent in Loop A, which is all that was available. At these sites they mix RVs and tents, so I spent the afternoons listening to the generator next door, and woke up every morning to the lovely view of a bus. Loop C and D seemed much quieter and more peaceful with better views but still, campsites are pretty close together.

They sell only ice, wood and some sodas at the campsite, and the lady who sells them is not exactly very friendly or helpful.

One thing I wish someone had mentioned to me, either in a review or onsite, is that there is a free bus that shuttles visitors from the campground to popular hiking sites where the parking lots fill up early. I only found this out after waiting for a parking spot, and then seeing the bus pick up people at Bear Lake. It would be helpful if the park brochures or the campground leaflets mentioned this, but since they don't, I will. Leave your car at the campsite!

Having said this, I will definitely to back to Moraine Park, but I will plan better.

Room Tip: Loop C or D are best for tents. Avoid A unless you're driving an RV.
  • Stayed: August 2011, traveled with family
5  Thank pagespan
Reviewed September 8, 2011

Moraine Park was scenic and quiet. We had a walk-in site, which I HIGHLY recommend, so we also had privacy and space. Our site had a marvelous view of Long's Peak. We fell asleep to the sound of bugling elk and woke to the distant call of coyotes.

It was clean, too.

I can't wait to go back!

• Stayed: September 2011, traveled as a couple
2  Thank ZipW
Reviewed August 30, 2011

My husband and I just stayed at Moraine campground for a second time last week. It is one of our all time favorite campgrounds. Close to Estes Park, and only a 1.5-2h drive from Denver it's very convenient and easy to get to. Rocky Mountain National Park is also one of our favorite parks and this campground is in a great location for exploring the mountains and also has great views of them. There are a few sites which are close together, but the map on recreation.gov where you reserve sites is fairly accurate with the spacing of the sites so you can see how close you'll be to others. Also, there are several walk-to sites, specifically in A loop, which offer more privacy. I highly recommend this campground.

• Stayed: August 2011, traveled as a couple
Reviewed August 12, 2011

This is a beautiful campground - much as I remember it from my time there as a child. The campsites are not very private (but many are adequatly spaced), as the ground cover is not real tall, but it seems to have trees at most sites. The campground is on a hillside and the sites are all at different levels, which really adds to the visual interest. We had a beautiful, full-on view of Long's Peak from our site and the night stars were fantastic! The highlight of the campground for the kids is the large (car and house sized) boulders scattered all over. Children love to run around and climb on these. The Park Rangers do wonderful, educational campfire talks every night, many of them about the animals of the alpine, enhanced with slide show photos.

Ok, now for the details every camper needs:

Bathrooms: Clean/adequate. They seem to be placed frequently throughout the campground. No showers anywhere in RMNP - you have to go to town and pay. They have flush toliets and the bathrooms have handsoap (not found in all parks). There is a small closet with a sink for dishes at each bathroom.

Wildlife: The have black bears that come occasionally through the campground - this is relatively new. It seems there was one in the campground the night before we arrived. The bears were not a problem when I was a child. They have the bearproof garbages and you may not leave any food related item (coolers, stove, pots n pans) out at anytime, except when in use. If you see/hear a bear, please report it to the park rangers. You will almost certainly see deer, and possibly elk from this area. Plenty of bold ground squirels, chipmonks and birds ready to steal your lunch right off the picnic table - another good reason to keep the food in the car at all times.

Location: Great basecamp for seeing the park and also very close to town. The campground is full every night in the summer, and this is part of the reason.

Reservations: This campground fills every night of the summer - make reservations weeks in advance for weekdays, months in advance for weekends. The NPS has a wonderful reservation website that shows a map of the campground and has a detailed description and a small photo of each site. Be aware that 2 sites that look close together might be farther than they look d/t the hills.

Campfires: There are firepits at every site. Campfires are allowed unless there is a burn restriction in place. Please only have firewood from the local area. Pine beetles have killed huge areas of trees in the park. There are many places that sell firewood in the town of Estes Park. Expect to pay about $4 per bundle. The campground also sells firewood every evening at a set time (5:30 pm ?) for 1 1/2 hrs. They charge about the same prices as they do in town.

My family really liked this campground - the only reason it didn't get 5 stars was that there are no showers, and that some of the sites are a little too close together.

Room Tip: The farther from the meadow - the more interesting the campsite!
  • Stayed: July 2011, traveled with family
4  Thank KamperGirl
Reviewed August 5, 2011

Thanks to a prior review that I read on here, I made an advanced reservation for Morraine Park, C Loop (our site was C236 the first night and C239 for the second night). C236 was absolutely gorgeous! There are no hook ups but up in the rockies, we didn't need our AC or anything else that would've required our RV's generator anyway.

This is our second RV trip out west (we been to the Badlands, Grand Tetons, Yellowstone, Rocky Mountains and the Grand Canyon) and our experience with national parks has been this:
If you want a beautiful site at a national park DO NOT get sites with hookups. Most of the national park sites with hookups are like parking lots, the ones W/O hookups - beautiful, even the RV sites. By contrast almost every state park we have been to has had great sites with hookups, it is just the national park that have this quirk.

Room Tip: Book C Loop at Morraine Park if you can (Best RV site C236)
  • Stayed: June 2011, traveled with family