“Excellent value and location”

We can't find prices for this accommodation
YMCA of the Rockies
Reviewed August 29, 2013

The YMCA of the Rockies is located right next to the Rocky Mountain National Park. We paid about $120 a night for a room in a lodge with a balcony that had an great view of the Rockies. The room was sapcious and clean. It does not have TV or AC (but it gets down into the upper 40s or lower 50s at night). It was very comfortable.

You can hike into the Park or take advantage of many other activites at the property. The activities are mostly aimed at kids or families. Most are included in the cost of the room.

Jackson stables is located on the property. We did a couple three hour rides into the Park. The wranglers are great and so are the horses. This costs extra, but is well worth it.

I highly recommned this for families or couples who are looking for a quiet outdoor centered vacation.

The food is average, so don't expect too much. Estes Park has alot of very good restaurants just a few minutes away.

Room Tip: Ask for a view of the Rockies.

Reviewed August 26, 2013

We picked the Estes YMCA mainly for activities for our ten year old, but also because of proximity to RMNP. We stayed in the Cedar cabin, and the people that adopted this cabin have made it one of the nicest we have stayed in. The peace and serenity of the surroundings were only disrupted by the teenage dance music until ten or elven, and the high school band practicing at nine a.m.

If you go without children, I highly recommend after the 18th of August. Take time to hike down to Glacier creek along the horse back trail and let the little ones climb the rocks in the creek. We saw big horn sheep, elk, mule deer, wild turkeys, rabbits, hummingbirds, red tail hawks, you get the gist.

Not having a TV I played Clue every night with my ten year old, her friend, and my wife. You forget what pleasures can be obtained without TV. If you visit RMNP, and what to please the little ones, visit Alluvial fan. We cooked every night in the cabin and had a great experience. We will be back.

Room Tip: I can only speak for the cabins and the only place I would stay.
Reviewed August 24, 2013

Had 150 family members show up for a reunion. There were 88 in our lodge alone. Great facility. Lots of recreational facilities for free. Several restaurants/cafeterias. General store. Easy access to Estes part and the Stanley hotel. My bed was dated. I could feel the springs. I would gladly return.

Reviewed August 23, 2013

On a recent trip to Colorado ours plans were unexpectedly changed and we were looking for a place to stay for a night. Since we had not been to Rocky Mountain National Park in a few years we decided to find a place near Estes Park. One of my wife’s co-workers had stayed at the YMCA of the Rockies, Estes Park Center, so we decided to give it a try.
We were able to book a room at the last minute and I was expecting nothing more than a basic room which is exactly what we got. Ours was a double bed plus a bunk bed, nothing fancy but clean and adequate for our needs. There was no AC but the room did have a fan. Being at altitude, it was cool enough at night that opening a window did the trick. The room was also without a TV but why would you need it when you have the Rockies to enjoy.

The big surprises were the large well maintained grounds, the available programs for kids and adults, and the eating facilities. If I remember correctly there were three dining areas and a snack shop. We chose the prime rib and shrimp buffet. No issues with the food, good and plenty of it. Our room fee included breakfast for two the next morning which was an all you can eat buffet.

The night we were there they had a drum circle where all could participate in, a lecture, and we went star gazing after dark. There is a building dedicated to hiking and an indoor swimming pool.

To sum it up, our room was not fancy but adequate. There are other room options at the YMCA but we had limited choices booking at the last minute. It is very close to Rocky Mountain National Park and Estes Park which a bonus. We would not hesitate to say here again.

Room Tip: Book early, more choices of rooms.
  • Stayed: August 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed August 22, 2013

We spent 4 nights here June 29-July 4 for a family reunion of 40 folks from age 2 to 78. We rented both the Mountainside Lodge and Bighorn Annex (across the parking lot). This set up was perfect for reconnecting with each other and nature.

The cabin is UP the hillside about 1.5 miles from the main YMCA area so it's a hearty walk, doable but not more than once per day. For this reason we are glad we hit Costco on Boulder and stocked up before getting to the lodge. We cooked Lasagna, burgers, fajitas, pancakes, eggs, margaritas, beer and ended up eating for about $34 per person for the 4 day stay. This was way cheaper and more fun than schlepping to the busy lodge for each meal. The kitchen was well equipped with two fridges and two stoves.

The building is rustic cabin cool and comfortable and unique. There are views from every room and the deck at night offers phenomenal light-pollution-free start gazing. There are many activities at the Y, all are well run, however, we were not impressed with the kids fishing excursion by Sasquatch outfitters. That was more like a babysitting excursion that allowed the PARENTS to learn fishing. Paddling the Poudre was a great family friendly river excursion. It's a bit of a drive to get to the river but, still fun. You also get use of an outdoor pavilion with gas grill, tables and seating for 70 and power plugs, views, and protective awnings in case of inclement weather. There is also an outdoor chapel about 75 yards away for morning worship.

We are considering also returning to the Mountainside lodge and adding the house up the hill for more attendies next time.

Room Tip: Hit Costco and cook all meals in cabin for extra team building.
  • Stayed: July 2013, traveled with family
Reviewed August 20, 2013

Our 'cabin' slept 10 with 4 bedrooms, 3 bathrooms, a full kitchen, two living rooms, 2 decks, TVs, and a fireplace. We really were roughing it! We were there for my niece's wedding so didn't take advantage of all the facilities, but it would be perfect for family reunions. It is also a wonderful location for an outdoor wedding with the mountains in the background. It is also very convenient to the Rocky Mountain national park.

Room Tip: Ask for one of the cabins which are higher for the view.
Reviewed August 20, 2013

Yes, I'm a hotel snob. I'll blow 300+ at a five star because I like luxury. I'm also a huge outdoors-woman. I love hiking, site-seeing, riding horses, and just being in nature. I was torn as to whether or not the lodging at Estes Park would negatively outweigh the positively majestic beauty of the Rocky Mountains. Well, it didn't! We stayed in the recently renovated Wind River Lodge on the second floor (no elevator!), but they did have decks with chairs in each 2nd floor room. I read a few reviews that mentioned loud teens and weird smells, but we didn't see, hear or smell anything out of the norm. There were groups meeting in the lobby, playing board games, and we heard doors slamming during peak hours, but the quiet hours are 11pm-7am and everyone seemed to abide by the rules. :) As for the lodging: The rooms were basic, with heavy comforters, no A/C, and a very modest bathroom. BUT THE VIEW! The sunrise, the sunset, seeing elk walk right across the hillside, the fresh air and all the wonders of mountains...man, I couldn't get enough. We weren't really in the room very much at all, only to shower and sleep, so the rustic accommodations didn't matter much to us. They have tons of activities for kids, more for older kids 8+, but my five year old had a blast learning to use a compass, playing putt putt, and running around like a little hippy kid. The dining hall was basic and we were surrounded by teenagers and other families, but it was what I expected for a place run by the YMCA. I think if you set your expectations you'll be impressed. :) Make sure you check out the livery, the arts and crafts building next to the playground, the library, and go for a guided hike!

Room Tip: There are no elevators in the Wind River Lodge, but the 2nd floor was a good choice for us since the...
  • Stayed: August 2013, traveled with friends