“Cozy, clean cabins with great views and friendly staff”
Review of Lazy R Cottages

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Lazy R Cottages
Omaha, NE
“Cozy, clean cabins with great views and friendly staff”
Reviewed October 22, 2012

We just returned from our family vacation to Estes and wish we could go back! We stayed in cabin 17, and absolutely loved it! We arrived late with our 3 girls ages 1, 4 & 6. When we opened the door to our beautiful little cabin, the lamps were on and there was a little welcome package waiting for us. Such a nice way to start a vacation! The girls were floored by the bunk bed in their room, and our room had just enough room for the pack-n-play to sit next to the bed. The cabin has recently been remodeled and they did an outstanding job. I am a bit of a clean freak, and was so pleasantly surprised with the cleanliness of the place. The hot tub is very well maintained with great views of the mountains, although the lights on the tub do not work. We rented movies for the kids each night and enjoyed visiting with Mark at the office. He's so friendly, and knows a lot about Estes. Our first morning at the cabin there was a deer right outside our door, and the day we left there was an elk! We could not have been happier with our stay and would definitely recommend this place to anyone looking for a reasonably priced place for their family to enjoy Estes. Can't wait to go back!

Room Tip: Choose a cabin over a cottage if you're looking for a little more privacy. Cottages are crammed...
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled with family
6 Thank epeterson22

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (24)
Coopersburg, Pennsylvania
Reviewed September 24, 2012

We just got back last night from our weekend trip to Estes Park. We stayed at Lazy R in unit #7-A. We loved it! Sure the furnishings were a bit worn - but nothing crazy. It was a nice, clean place with friendly staff and very reasonably priced. Lots of room for our family of 6 and well-equipped (2 bedroom, 1 bath). My younger 2 children (preschool age) loved being right next to the playground. My older 2 boys (teenagers) loved the selection of free DVD movie loaners to borrow. My husband LOVED the fact that we chose to get rid of our pop-up camper earlier this summer and "camp" in a cabin instead. Everyone slept well on comfortable beds, we enjoyed a few home-cooked meals, and a nice fire in the fireplace - without all of the work we used to have with the camper.

We spent our days hiking lumpy ridge, biking around lake estes, and enjoying being outside. Our evenings at the cabin were quiet, comfortable, and had all the modern conveniences of home. A really great family get-away "camping trip". We look forward to our next visit and would definitely stay again.

Oh yes- thanks for the bag of doggy treats when we arrived. Even our mutt, Harley, enjoyed his stay! :-)

Palmer Lake, CO

Room Tip: Cabin #7 is not too far off the road, but not right on it, either. Still, we did not hear any road...
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled with family
3 Thank COMommyX4
Englewood, Colorado
Reviewed September 7, 2012

The website, reservation experience, staff and lodging was awesome! Mark was very helpful when making my reservation, I had a bunch of questions. The location was perfect, near several great restaurants and family attractions. The cabin was all it was promised to be, with a fabulous view and cozy hot tub. it had all the comforts of home, but with nothing to do but relax and enjoy!

Room Tip: All the cabins looked great!
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled with family
4 Thank Carrie S
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed August 26, 2012

This cottage is 100 feet off of one of the busiest roads in Estes Park. The traffic noise is pretty intense in the daytime because it is the main road leading into RMNP. The other cabins at Lazy R may be fine. But this one should be a last resort if you can't find anything else on a busy weekend. I just needed a quick overnight on my way to somewhere else so it was efficient for me. But here's the bad first: The bed mattress is a broken down mess that sagged in the middle so bad I almost slept on the floor instead. A broken down bed in any motel is inexcusable in my book. A BED is what you are paying for! Fix the bed and you make people happy. Because you are at about 7,000' above sea level, you don't need air conditioning. But that means you have to leave the windows open and the traffic noise is constant. Diesel exhaust sometimes makes its way up from the road. There are no curtains you can draw across the windows to make the room dark for sleeping in. Dawn comes pretty early in summer and the sun comes streaming in. I awoke at 6 a.m. because of the light coming in even though I had the venetian blinds shut tight as possible. Also there was a slight but annoying oder of either propane or natural gas that was pretty strong and that got me out of bed if nothing else would. I could not locate the source of the gas. It may have been that someone in another cabin had turned on their gas heater or maybe it was the water heater in my cabin, I don't know. I did not turn on my heater the whole time I was there. But nobody likes the smell of gas so if that freaks your out, you might not want to stay here. I wouldn't call the room "run down" yet but it is headed in that direction. I think the owners do the best they can with what they've got. They are friendly and helpful. There is a liquor store and a grocery store right across the street. You are only two minutes from the main park entrance and Trail Ridge Road. I might try the Lazy R Cottages again sometime but I'm not going to stay in the Columbine Cottage #1 ever again because of the traffic noise and the broken down bed.

Room Tip: Don't stay in Columbine Cottage #1.
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled solo
Amarillo, Texas
Reviewed August 9, 2012

IJust returned Aug 8 from Estes Park. We stayed in Cabin 5 - Eagle's Nest. We had our 2 kids (5, 7) with us. First, as you would likely expect from the photos, these cabins are pretty rustic, as they are intended to be. The rooms are small, with just enough space to walk around the bed. The shower is small. It was fine for our family since we spent our day out and weren't spending it at the cabin.
Which cabin you choose at Lazy R is very important. There is one road in and out. Cabin 5 is at the very top, so no one but the person staying there has any reason to drive past it, which is good. But some of the other cabins (cabins 1, 2, and 3), right when you drive in, get traffic going past and headlights shining in the windows. And since you always have your windows and curtains open, it can be a problem. We could see right into the cabins as we drove past. I definitely would not stay in one of those. And since Lazy R is located on Hwy 36, I'm guessing you get quite a bit of traffic noise (again - windows open) We couldn't hear any of that in cabin 5.
The staff was very nice and accommodating. We needed a second fan because one of the bedrooms was stuffy, and as we left in the morning we asked. They didn't have one, so they went out and bought a new one and had it for us when we got back later that day.
They all had grills and picnic tables outside, and we took advantage of that the first night (note, the ignitor on the grill at cabin 5 doesn't work, so you need to use the lighter after turning the gas on and grill to ignite setting).
Since cabin 5 is the last one on the road, it's definitely the most isolated, which was great. And there were big rocks right outside our kids loved climbing on.
The first night 15 deer or elk passed right by our cabin.
It was clean and exactly what was expected. If you're looking for something really comfortable, not sure this is your place. Or if you're planning on spending a lot of time at your place, you might want something a little more luxurious. If you have big kids, it would probably be pretty crowded.

Room Tip: cabins at front get traffic from highway as well as traffic and headlights from cars driving to cabi...
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
3 Thank Todd H
Dallas, Texas
Reviewed August 7, 2012

Just returned from 2 night trip with family of 4 to Estes Park - stayed in Eagle's Nest - Unit #5. Location of the cabins is Excellent - very close to the Park. Staff was very friendly and helpful. Cabins are well stocked with nice grills. They are closer to the road than I expected - but we could not hear traffic from our cabin. Would stay there again in a heart beat!

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
4 Thank Lisa W
Des Moines, Iowa
Reviewed July 9, 2012

Our cabin was okay, and the staff was pleasant, But, the grounds are ugly and very poorly maintained. Debris is piled up outside the cabin window along the fence. The planters at the entrance still have dead flowers from last season. A retaining wall near the office has collapsed and is an eyesore. There is a trash dumpster next to the swingset. The stock photo you see of a house with many glass windows is a fraud...it's not on the property. Any stock photos of trees and shade are misleading, because this cabin site is barren. I will add my own photos. It would take very little effort for the management to clean up the property, if they wanted to make the effort.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled with family