“Great Place to stay!”

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Elkhorn Lodge and Guest Ranch
Golden, Colorado, United States
“Great Place to stay!”
Reviewed January 27, 2012

I loved this place because it's rustic and for the more adventurous soul, you won't find too many prissy city folk here! The rooms are comfortable and have an old western feel to them, and the staff is very friendly! There is also a rumor that the place is haunted, which is just a bonus for me! And they allow pets so overall, it was a GREAT place to stay!

• Stayed July 2011, traveled with friends
4 Thank MakaiPro

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (24)
Elizabeth
Reviewed September 28, 2011

This is an interesting place, especially if you are in to history! Estes Park out one door (shopping & dining) & Rocky Mountain National Park out the other. When we left a cabin close to the lodge had a pair of welcoming Mule Deer at the steps. Who can beat that?
This is not the Hampden Inn: This place was built in 1874 & is on the CO register of Historic Places so don't expect flat screen TVs, refrigerators or ringing telephones in your room (some don't have heat), but it is reasonably priced & clean. The hospitality is great including the free entertainment in the evenings. We've also stayed in the schoolhouse cabin with a great covered front porch.
It is hard for us to find places we can stay with our horses. But this place works for us. I do have to say $20/night for a horse is a bit steep since the pens were not clean & we had to dip buckets out of the river, but the pens are managed by a separate concessionaire for the dude rides & not controlled by the lodge.

• Stayed September 2011, traveled with friends
3 Thank Julie C
Omaha, Nebraska
Reviewed September 22, 2011

I originally booked a drop camp fly fishing trip with Elkhorn Stables. In early June we were unable to reach our destination due to snow, so the trip was cancelled. So we called in August to reschedule the trip, they gave us trips for September 16th - 18th. When we arrived in Colorado, Gary told us they were unable to take us up the mountain, because it was covered with snow, which was a lie. Also he told us that Trail Ridge Drive was closed, after getting our refund we drove up there to the Summit, it was NOT closed, and there was NO snow. On our way back through Estes we stopped at Estes Anglers, and asked them about getting us up to Lawn Lake and they said no problem. They had been taking people there all week, which confirmed to us that Gary with Elkhorn Stables lied. Elkhorn Stables might be good for kiddy horserides, otherewise I would not recommend them. Gary made it seem like it was our fault that we picked too early and then too late of dates, when actually he was the one that gave us the dates.

• Stayed September 2011, traveled with friends
11 Thank Jeff L

Travelers are raving about these Estes Park hotels

Chicago, Illinois
Reviewed August 16, 2011

If you like the above, you'll love this place. I'm surprised it's even allowed to be open. We stayed one night. We walked in the "office" and told them this was not going to work for us. Snotty receptionist told us we had already paid for the one night. She wanted to resell it regardless. Didn't get a wink of sleep. biggest waste of $150 in my life.

• Stayed August 2011, traveled with family
12 Thank FamilyVacationer1223
Longmont, Colorado
Reviewed August 5, 2011

We were very disappointed in the quality of the rooms, cleanliness & service. They claimed to have a trout pond, but it was drained. They claimed to have a cowboy shoot out, but one of the cowboy's didn't show up 1 night and the next night the cowboy was so drunk he couldn't perform. I left there doubting whether or not they changed the bed sheets. Estes Park has many good lodges, but unfortunately, I cannot recommend this one.
Only good thing is the location. It's very close to downtown & Old Man mountain.

• Stayed July 2011, traveled with family
9 Thank Harris5917
Longmont, Colorado
Reviewed August 3, 2011

I stayed at the Elkhorn for 2 nights from Wednesday - Friday. I was intrigued by the Elkhorn due to their website (which I noticed has now been changed) that advertised a trout pond , swimming pool and cowboys that sign around a campfire and do a shoot out for the little ones. I am not , nor anyone in my party , a particlular snob for accomadations and the cabin we rented , Alpine was adequate and suitable for our needs , but the kitchen was laughable as the stove only had 2 burners that worked and you could not tell what temp you were cooking on. There was one large trash can in the middle of the kitchen with no trash bag and our keys did not work. Otherwise the unit was fine. Unfortunately this property is majorly under maintained and is a shame that management does not do the thing required (and cheaply) to keep it up. My biggest complaint is in regards to the website that said there is a trout pond , has been drained for 2 years and a swimming pool , which looked it had been out of service for quite a while. The cowboy was extrenly inebriated at 4pm when I had the opportunity to speak with him. Biggest disspointment was when the kids saw the cowboy they all ran up to him and he ignored them. Further when asked when he would perform the cowboy said the other cowboy was on vacation, kids were dissapointed. For the $ we spent to stay their we could have done much better. Super shame as the property is outstanding and could be quite special if the management of this property acted like they cared.

• Stayed August 2011, traveled with friends
9 Thank JonathanRuttrow
North Andover, Massachusetts
Reviewed August 2, 2011

My whole family agreed that staying at the Elkhorn Lodge was one of the highlights of our trip to Colorado. When planning, I'd looked into several dude ranches but they were super expensive. We were also looking to stay just outside of Rocky Mountain National Park, but again the options were pricey. Then I came across the website for the Elkhorn and I liked what I saw. Their description is honest; it's no frills. But it was everything I was looking for: affordable and clean rooms, horse stables right on the property offering a variety of daily rides, and a gorgeous view of the Rockies. We were just 4 miles from the eastern entrance to RMNP, and just a couple of blocks from downtown (touristy) Estes Park. For just $97 per night we had two bedrooms (one with a double bed and the other with two twin beds) joined by a private bathroom. The rooms were clean and pleasantly decorated. There is a river that runs through the rear of the property so we fell asleep and awoke to the soothing sound of the current. What the ranch might lack in modern conveniences was more than made up for with warm hospitality and good ol' cowboy fun. The first night we joined several other guests around the campfire while Roger, the awesome cowboy-in-residence, sang and played the guitar. The next day we enjoyed a hearty breakfast in the dining hall (delicious and very reasonably priced). Again, excellent service and hospitality. We went for a short hike up toward Old Man Mountain then got ready for our 2-hour horseback ride. It was nice that we didn't have to drive anywhere... just walked to the stables from the lodge. I need to mention that the stables are not run by Elkhorn Lodge, but are under management by another group. I'd say the only negatives we experienced during our stay was that we were kept waiting over an hour for our horse ride, and our particular guide seemed impatient and agitated at times. Other than that, the scenery was spectacular and the guide did share a lot of info with us about the local history, flora and fauna. After our ride we returned to the dining hall for the Chuckwagon Dinner and show. The food was delicious, stick-to-your-ribs buffet style on tin plates like the cowboys used. Then Roger got on stage and serenaded all the guests with more country music. (He performed solo that night though we're told he usually has another musician join him.) Midway through the performance, Roger engaged in a "shootout" with another wrangler (who lost because Roger had to keep singing afterwards!) After dinner we walked back towards the stables to check out the Hayloft barn (houses a bar and pool tables) and looked at the peaceful dusk scene of horses down by the river. Then we went back to the campfire for more singing and s'mores. I found my dude ranch experience and my husband, teenage son and tween daughter were all happy. Yee haw!

• Stayed July 2011, traveled with family