“Don't get married at Taharaa!”

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Taharaa Mountain Lodge
Ranked #11 of 20 Estes Park B&B and Inns
Reviewed July 5, 2007

We got married at Taharaa May 19, 2007 and would not recommend it. To start, Taharaa is absolutely beautiful, but not worth it. Before we booked, the owner Diane seemed great, but it quickly went downhill after we put down the deposit. A month before the wedding she put a huge charge on our credit card without permission and not according to the contract. When I called her on it, she was very rude and refused to refund it. The weekend of she yelled at us for showing up 10 minutes before check in time and she made us wait in the parking lot the full 10 minutes. During the wedding she was so rude and impatient with many of the guests and our family on multiple occasions. Finally, she gave out our full credit card information to another company without permission. Luckily that other company called before charging. I wouldn't recommend Taharaa to anyone, and especially don't have your wedding there!

• Stayed: July 2007, traveled with family
18  Thank Hallie12

Reviewed June 12, 2007

We spent four nights at Taharaa in early June as part of our anniversary. What a wonderful spot that truly lived up to the website billing. The breakfasts each morning were truly "gourmet" , delicious, and served in the dining room with spectacular views of the mountains. We really enjoyed the "happy hour" each day at 5:30 where we got to meet some of the other guests and discuss where to have dinner. Estes Park had a surprising number of restaurant choices and we were very pleased with all but one that we selected. Our room was very clean, well furnished with a deck that overlooked the same wonderful view.
Taharaa is very conveniently located next to Rocky Mountain National Park where we spent two of our days hiking and riding. Truly a memorable experience with spectacular scenerly.
Some reviewers on this site complained about Taharaa's rules. We did not find the few "rules" we were given to be any problem at all. They seemed mostly to be for our convenience and safety and the convenience and safety of others around us and who would come after us. We interacted mostly with Diane and found her to be helpful, very friendly, and concerned about our experience. Her dog Rocky was also a big hit as the "Social Director".
We highly recommend Taharaa to anyone looking to enhance their visit to Estes Park!

Stayed: June 2007
4  Thank MainePaul
Reviewed March 15, 2007

My wife and I had a wonderful stay at the Taharaa. We strongly recommend going during the slower season, we were able to find great deals in the local shops and great food in and around Estes Park. The remnants of snow in some areas make the stay that much nicer, especially from a couple of Texans that don't get the chance to see it that often. I found the owners and Pam (one of the Inn-Keepers) to be very polite and eager to assist us in any way possible. Although many rules, I could understand the reasoning behind them, I would have even more rules if I owned such a beautiful place as the Taharra Lodge.

We will be back & we will have friends and family with us on our next trip to Estes Park.

• Stayed: March 2007, traveled as a couple
4  Thank Brian&Steph
Reviewed January 1, 2007

4.5 stars
With another couple, we stayed two nights over New Year's Eve 2006/2007. Found the rooms very clean, the lodge with beautiful views, and the entire Staff incredibly friendly & helpful. The gas fireplaces in each room were perfect for a cool evening (just open the glass doors and give it a few minutes to warm the room). The common area was festive for the holidays. And the breakfasts were outstanding.
The owners were not overbearing in any way. They were there when we needed them or busy out of sight when we didn't. The staff made several reservations for us and truly added to the wonderful weekend getaway. Happy hour was a lot of fun before we headed out for the evening, with the staff's recommendations in hand.
The outdoor jacuzzi was buried in snow (understandable with the double-snowstorm at the end of December 2006). The indoor tub wasn't quite inviting enough, and not open late enough (9pm). The common rooms (like the library) were a little too small, and there wasn't enough comfortable "hiding spaces" to relax (comfortable chairs behind the dining room fireplace would have been great). One large dining table would have encouraged patrons to eat together, but the breakfast experience was just wonderful any way you look at it.
The owners obviously love what they do, and thoroughly enjoy their guests. With a pending cancellation (because of the snowstorm), they were very accommodating if we had to postpone to a later weekend before peak season. I gave them high marks for that as well - they didn't have to offer that.

The bedrooms were a little too "commercial"... more of a cross between hotel and B&B, and not quite big enough. But they all had a deck with an amazing view, high ceilings, and incredibly comfortable beds. Satellite TV with a combo dvd/VHS player, and many movies to choose from, gave you a diversion from all the nature you were surrounded by. And by all means, get into the National Park for some hiking or snowshoeing in the winter - it was a highlight!
Oh, and Wendy Woo & Crew at Mary's Lake lodge for New Year's Eve? In a word - Awesome.

The owners at the Taharaa & the staff were just great. We hated to leave, we felt so welcomed. It's obvious that they really know how to run a B&B, and have the perfect personality for it.

• Stayed: December 2006, traveled with friends
5  Thank NorthernCOtraveller
Reviewed October 26, 2006

After almost cancelling our reservation based on the negative reviews of the Taharaa from this website, I felt the need to write a positive review for this wonderful B&B.

My husband and I visited the Taharaa for our 10th wedding anniversary in October. This was the first trip for us without kids in several years (so we were not bothered by the anti-kid comments). We booked the Taharaa Suite and thought it was absolutely beautiful. Because of the reviews, we were pleasantly surprised to find Diane a warm, caring, and helpful hostess. She was present every evening and morning, despite the fact that her husband had been in a horrible car accident the day before our arrival. The breakfasts were phenomenal; we made an effort to return to the B&B for breakfast every day, despite being early risers and leaving to go on drives in the morning. (I suppose that would be my only complaint--the 8-10am breakfast is pretty late for those arriving from the Eastern Time zone.)

In response to the negative comments on this site I would say:
1. If you want a small, cozy B&B, this is not your place. It is more like a small luxury hotel that provides breakfast and very good concierge service (which suited us well).
2. It does face a "highway" (2 lane), but so does every other place in Estes Park, as far as I could tell.
3. They do ask that you use a separate wash cloth for your make-up, and even provide diposable wipes as well. If that bothers you, don't stay here. (This is Estes Park-you shouldn't be bothering with make-up anyway!)
4. The place advertises itself as a no children under 13 B&B. As a paying customer, the expectation is no children. If there was a crying toddler in the main room, it may upset the paying guests who came to a "no children" B&B; therefore I have some understanding for not wanting a crying child to be in the main room (I say this as a mother of 2 toddlers). I didn't see Diane interact with any children while we were there, but I would stress that this is an adult B&B.

My husband and I are very discerning travelers; we have traveled extensively in the states and internationally. We were dumbfounded by the negative comments on this webpage once we arrived at the Taharaa. We had a wonderful trip and enjoyed every minute of our stay at the Taharaa. Please don't let the previous comments prevent you from traveling to the Taharaa.

• Stayed: October 2006, traveled as a couple
8  Thank MichiganRN
Reviewed October 9, 2006

I used this website to initially choose B&B's for my wife and I for a July trip. I planned this trip to be the first time away from our son since his birth. I was hoping for an incredible experience from the Tahaara where my wife could relax. I can honestly say I was not disappointed. The owners are personable and accommodating. The happy hour is simple and charming. We gathered with the other guests for drinks while we reviewed local restaurant menus which the owners provided. We then gave them our choices (per much advice and conversation)which they immediately follow through with reservations for us. It was nice having local experts advise us on the meals and much more personable and intimate than a maitre' de. The room (The Winchester Room) was fantastic, and exactly what I expected from a $215.00 room. Breakfast was gourmet, and quite filling. We found the food delectable. I would have to say that overall I would recommend the Tahaara and my wife and I are eager to return! Another trip from Columbus, Ohio for us is defintely on our future agenda!

• Stayed: July 2006, traveled as a couple
4  Thank Buckeye_B_ROCK
Reviewed September 25, 2006

My wife and I just stayed three nights at the Taharaa Lodge, our third visit, and it was fabulous as always.

The owners, Ken and Diane, are the most wonderful, caring and hospitable people we've had the pleasure of staying with. They truly care about their guests, and Diane is a great lady who's concerned about the overall experiance of ALL of her guests.

We've met great people at the Taharaa...especially at the wine reception each evening, and everyone we've talked with loves the place.

Ken and Diane serve a great breakfast each morning. We had blueberry pancakes, eggs benedict and french toast on the three mornings we were there. The food is wonderful and the portions are hefty enough to satisfy the active people that we've met at the lodge...most of whom are heading out to hike in Rocky Mountain National Park. Ken and Diane actually prepare breakfast every morning, and the presentation is wonderful.

This isn't a place for small children. It's for adults who want to take a break from their kids or older couples who are trying to get away for a weekend or a few days.

We've been visiting Estes Park since we were in college 30 years ago and have stayed at a half dozen places in Estes. The Taharaa Lodge is by far the best place in town, and yes, we've also stayed at the Stanley.

The rooms are great, the staff does a great job of cleaning them daily. The views are beautiful....the breakfast is delicious...the wine reception is fun.....the owners are friendly and caring....the guests are interesting and fun to talk with.....in short...it's a great experiance.

We're going back in March!

• Stayed: September 2006, traveled as a couple