“Never knew there were that many whiskeys”

Cascades Restaurant at the Stanley Hotel
Ranked #26 of 136 Restaurants in Estes Park
Cuisines: American, Steakhouse, Bar, Wine Bar
Good for: Special occasions, Business meetings, Bar scene, Romantic
Dining options: Lunch, Late Night, Dinner, Breakfast, Delivery, Outdoor Seating, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Transit: Taxi service and in season free trolley service.
Description: Cascades, a Classic American Restaurant and Steakhouse is located in the heart of the historic 103 year-old Stanley Hotel. Join us for, breakfast, lunch or dinner in our comfortable dining room. Stop by for a cocktail in our lounge, as our "bar chefs," handcraft a cocktail from our historic cocktails of yesteryear. Remember the time when lunch was an event, cocktail hour was not to be missed & dinner with friends was a joy.
Reviewed July 28, 2014

We have eaten more than once at the Stanley. This time we sat at the bar and were amazed at the number of whiskies available. The bartender said they had close to six hundred. Another gentlemen behind the bar seemed to be the "whiskey expert" and said his boss wanted a thousand whiskies by the fall. So you have wine bars for wine tasting. Tap rooms for beer and the Stanley for a whiskey bar. So if you want an extensive list of whiskies to taste from, the Stanley is probably the place. As far as the food goes, it is good but on the pricey side.

1  Thank Paul T
There are newer reviews for Cascades Restaurant at the Stanley Hotel

Reviewed July 27, 2014

We started our evening in the bar for cocktails. Partner had a raspberry vodka something that she liked so well it called for an encore.

Given the atmosphere and the Stanley's extensive whisky menu, I was in the mood for a Sazerac. The bar actually features a specialty drink that they claim is their version of the Sazerac. After much discussion with the server and ample warning about the Absinthe licorice flavor, I opted for the house "Sazerac". What a dud! Not even close to a Sazerac. Overloaded with lemon and not a hint of the Absinthe. Sensing my less than enthusiastic response, our waiter comped me a glass of wine. Nice touch; thank you!

On to dinner - Stellar, stunning, superb - but I repeat myself. Partner had the elk, buffalo, pork meat loaf. Most excellent; very flavorful with a tasty mushroom sauce.

I had decided on the Lamb Shank before we even left home. Or should I say, this is your lamb shank on steroids. It was HUGE. First reaction; this is going to be tough. Nope - it was fork tender, falling off the bone. The lentils were a perfect al dente, not cooked to mush and the the wilted swiss chard was a nice addition. I'm not allowed to lick my plate at home, but I was sorely tempted just to get the last of the sauce. [Hint: ask for more sauce if you can get away with it. I didn't and now regret it].

Wine prices are moderately high [$15 for a glass that retails at $23 per bottle], but the pour is generous enough and the selection and quality is excellent.

Leo is an experienced staffer and was very attentive to our needs. He even accommodated our request to enjoy our sorbet dessert on the outside patio.

This was one of our best meals in recent memory. The only draw back is that the restaurant/bar is incredibly noisy. Quiet conversation was most difficult.

Reviewed July 27, 2014

Overall the service was very good - we ordered a steak medium/rare - arrived medium/well. Returned it and unfortunately got a rare steak. Decided to enjoy it anyway - didn't want to wait for another steak and delay everyone else's meal. Meatloaf was interesting - not sure about the spice used - odd flavor. Best part was the fact that you were in the Stanley Hotel - small dining room but it wasn't very busy. Reservation was for 6pm......

Reviewed July 26, 2014 via mobile

We were excited to have a special dinner here but were bummed because they were over booked. We sat at a table in the bar area and the service was mediocre at best. Menus were tossed on our table after about a 15 minute wait... No water or greeting until then. Waiter seemed annoyed and was serving several tables...perhaps understaffed? Food was okay, but not what we expected. On a positive note, nice wine selections and decor. Hope that the hotel will make improvements to their restaurant service.

Reviewed July 26, 2014

We had Cobb salads which were very good, on the patio by the waterfalls. Nice place to eat while on vacation.