“Another mixed review”

Cuisines: American, Steakhouse
Dining options: Lunch, Late Night, Dinner, Breakfast, Reservations
Dining options: Lunch, Late Night, Dinner, Breakfast, Reservations
Reviewed August 30, 2013

My husband and I recently ate at Nicky's, and we were joined by another couple. We'd chosen it because it was convenient and I'd eaten there before. My husband cannot do dairy, so his restaurant options are a little more limited. Anyway - on to the review. The restaurant was very quiet on a Monday night, and the steakhouse seemed dated, at best. The tables were large, but very closely packed - I felt like I was sitting in my neighbor's table at times. The atmosphere was sort of old-style fancyish, but the background music - awful! Reminded me of Muzak (aka elevator music). It just felt like the place needed a facelift. Service was good, not outstanding, not awful. The food. We had a variety - prime rib (good), T-bone (good but tougher than I would like), halibut (good), and trout (good). So what's the problem, you say? For the prices, I wanted stellar. When I spend more than $25 on a dish, I would like the food to really sing, and this was basic steakhouse fare. T I did taste the halibut and that was excellent - a nice thick steak cooked just perfect. The accompaniments were typical (potato, rice, salad, etc.). I've in the past had the dolmas and greek salad - again good, but not outstanding. So - while it wasn't bad food, it just wasn't worth the money spent on the meal. I think given the wide selection of restaurants in the area, it might be time to look around for a new place for a nice meal.

Reviewed August 29, 2013

The views outside the window was nice... trees and even an elk one night! Breakfast was wonderful, in fact the desserts sounded so good we pledged to return for dinner. They serve late so it was perfect. I ordered the steak on Texas toast - it was done perfectly and the fries were crispy and plentiful! I would definitely eat here again and again.

Reviewed August 26, 2013

Ate with a group of co-workers recently. They mixed up our steaks and I ended up having to trade with the person next to me about 1/3 into the steak. The salad was tired and boring. The molten chocolate dessert is heated in the MICROWAVE (according to the server). The restroom was filthy, with saloon type doors that allowed a person waiting for the restroom to see right into the stall. There wasn't any hot water in the sink for handwashing! I can't believe the good ratings on tripadvisor...I rely on accurate reviews and can't believe the other reviews can be accurate.

Reviewed August 21, 2013

My daughter and I decided to go to Nicky's for a steak dinner even though the prices were more than we were comfortable with but what the hey?....we were on vacation! We both ordered the sirloins; very thick steaks and cooked as ordered. The pototoes were excellent. However, I was expecting a little more upscale decorum. The place is very, very busy so go early or go late.
I also was disappointed that they were out of the strawberry shortcake as in they were not making it; not that they had sold it all.
I am not sure I would go back again. I usually go to Estes Park at least once a year but this was my first visit to Nicky's.
The prices definitley are not for a family on a budget of any kind while vacationing.
p.s. We did call to make reservations and they said they were too busy to make any further reservations and then the lady(girl) my daughter was speaking with just hung up the phone. So we went right at 5 when they opened and there was no issue with seating. I almost did not go there at all because of the way the person was so rude and unprofessional in handling the phone call.

Reviewed August 19, 2013

We ate at Nicky's just a couple of days ago and we will never go back. I am really surprised to see all the good reviews here. There were three adults and one child in our party. One person ordered the gyro, who said it was good. One ordered the chicken fried steak. Now mind you, being a "steakhouse", we expected this to be homemade but are pretty sure it is just something pre-made and frozen, nothing to write home about, and the presentation didn't help. The child had chicken strips, which seemed to be fine. My meal was the worst. I ordered the shrimp fettuccine. Worst I've ever had and I paid twenty bucks for it!!!!!!! The alfredo tasted like it was nothing more than thickened milk and thickened poorly at that. It hadn't been heated correctly and had curdled, meaning it was lumpy instead of thick and creamy like alfredo should be. The shrimp was completely tasteless. Three bites and I was done. We wasted a hundred bucks eating here for truck stop food!! Never again.