“Rustic and modern comfort”

The Historic Crags Lodge
Reviewed January 13, 2014

This one hundred year old property is wonderful. When you enter the lobby, you are greeted by the friendliest most helpful staff ever. Beautiful old hardwood floors and a massive fireplace greet you. With a western rustic sitting area to relax in. The rooms are very comfortable, wonderful linens, comfy bed, cuisinart coffee maker and a fridge and little stove. Room 201 is tucked away at the end of the hall and is so cozy and private, we loved it. There are floor to ceiling windows in the main part of the lodge overlooking the town, gorgeous. The downside is that the units are vacation properties (timeshares) and it is almost impossible to get a room in the summer. There is a restaurant with a great reputation, open only in the summer. Also a heated pool, hot tub and grill outside. The staff are amazing!,, a truly wonderful and special place.

Room Tip: Room 201 is private, quiet and has a bay window....super nice
  • Stayed: January 2014, traveled as a couple
2  Thank canada777-1207
diamondresorts, Manager at The Historic Crags Lodge, responded to this reviewResponded January 30, 2014

I am glad to read that all in all you had an excellent stay and your particular praise about the service is gratefully received. We sincerely hope that you will add us to your destination lists and that we will see you coming back with another visit!

Reviewed January 9, 2014

This was great. My fiancé and I stayed for a week right after Christmas and had an amazing time. The location is perfect, the lodge is picturesque, the views amazing. The staff is top notch and we loved the family feel of the place. Felt welcomed every time we walked in. Highly recommend this place!

• Stayed: January 2014, traveled as a couple
1  Thank scrais
Reviewed December 24, 2013 via mobile

Lodging accommodations are fantastic for a Century Old lodge in the Estes Park mountains. In keepers are excellent personalities ready to assist. Water is super hot and rooms are cozy In the winter. Spending our Christmas Eve here and loving the snowy weather. Parking is a bit crowded if you drive an over sized truck, but there is parking away from the main lodge. Everything is on a steep slope from the entrance road to the parking lot. 4WD recommended in the icy months. Restaurant is seasonal and closed for the season. Local eateries are plentiful, however. (The Big Horn Restaurant was our favorite in close proximity.)

Views from the main lodge were amazing day and night. Next door neighbor to the EP aerial tramway station (seasonal). Will recommend to friends who have appropriate vehicles for the hill climb. Worth a look see and is defiantly a great value in winter months.

• Stayed: December 2013
Reviewed December 10, 2013

this place is very nice and close to many attractions in the area. I saw a lot of wildlife which I love. I took great pictures. RMNP was really terrific and it was a great time to go during November. Great place to stay.

• Stayed: November 2013, traveled with friends
1  Thank Elena Damien D
diamondresorts, Manager at The Historic Crags Lodge, responded to this reviewResponded December 11, 2013

It is great to read that you had such a pleasant time here with us and that our location proved suitable to your requirements. Thank you for your recommendation, we hope to see you again soon!

Reviewed November 17, 2013

So we had booked our wedding at Mary's Lake Lodge. Due to flooding in the area we were in a panic on what to do because they could no longer accommodate us. Mary's Lake did an excellent job in setting us up with the Historic Crags Lodge. We had not originally looked here because it was a bit out of our price range but it is a very beautiful location overlooking Estes Park and Lumpy Ridge to the north. The rustic setting was just as good as Mary's Lake and they were able to accommodate us at the same price so we didn't have to worry about coming up with extra money.

While I was really impressed with the organization and helpfulness of the staff for our event, given the short notice, the rooms are fairly nice as well. Keeping in mind that you can't do major remodeling without removing the historical nature of the building I think they've done well in maintaining that while keeping the rooms modern and comfortable.

Generally rustic suggests run down but here it seems that they are able to keep the rustic look but everything is well maintained. The staff were amazingly helpful and everything ended up working out for the best.

• Stayed: October 2013, traveled with family
2  Thank ColoradoClimbingCo
diamondresorts, Manager at The Historic Crags Lodge, responded to this reviewResponded December 12, 2013

We were very happy to be able to offer you a warm welcome when you needed it most and we are delighted to read that you had such a pleasant time here with us and found our location scenic and rooms comfortable! It was a pleasure to have you! We hope we will see you again for your future anniversaries celebrations!

Reviewed November 16, 2013

I had to spend an extended amount of time in Estes Park for work, so I stayed here several times for up to a week at a time. I loved that it felt more like a studio apartment than a hotel room. I could sit and eat at the kitchen table and read on the couch, instead of multitasking in a bed like at a hotel. The view was beautiful...I had a small bay window overlooking the mountains. On Monday nights they have smores in the lobby over the roaring fireplace. The hottub and pool are outdoor and heated and they provide plush towels in the lobby.

I had two complaints. First, the showers. I had three different rooms and all showers were older. One had very light water pressure. Another did not work, though they fixed it after I asked. The third was a quaint claw foot tub. The second and third ones looked better than they worked, and the shower curtain was a regular size so it dod not enclose the whole shower and water got everywhere.

My second complaint, though for some it may be an advantage, is there is close to no internet and limited cell service. They say they have internet, but it was hit and miss to find the log in on wi fi and even rarer to keep the connection. I was told we were in the shadow of the mountain and that was why cell service was spotty. I was there for work, so it was a hindrance. I guess if I were on vacation, it would have been less important.

I would absolutely stay here again. All the employees were warm and friendly. The price was right. It is only a short distance from anything.

• Stayed: October 2013, traveled on business
1  Thank PeninaSagadiev
Reviewed November 15, 2013

My husband and I spent 3 nights at the Crags and really liked it. The staff are very friendly and approachable and are more than willing to help out with any requests. Being 100 years old, this is obviously not a fancy hotel, but it has character and charm and you can feel the history of the place.The rooms are really nice and updated, while still keeping a bit of older character. A really lovely place, with amazing views (our room itself didn't have the greatest view, but the property has an amazing overlook). The pool and hot tub look really new and well maintained, and there is a great bbq area as well. Only about a 10 minute walk into town, so a good location. My only problem was that the walls are quite thin - we could hear the people upstairs walking around and people out in the corridors, but given that it is a 100 year old building I can let that slide. It didn't disturb our stay.

• Stayed: November 2013, traveled as a couple