“Off the beaten path...”
Review of Lane Guest Ranch

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Lane Guest Ranch
San Ramon
“Off the beaten path...”
Reviewed September 19, 2011

As a solo traveler, I found this ranch to be delightfully intimate with stellar services and staff. Lloyd Lane is the superb host and onsite much of the time...charming man. The activities were varied from swimming, to horsebackriding, silversmithing class and photography hike and more. The food was OUTSTANDING with entertainment of one kind or another nightly. For a solo traveler like myself, and though alone much of the time, I thought people were very kind and friendly. The altitude can catch you by surprise, at 8500' and then of course hiking onward up to about 10,000 or more. One suggestion is that the hikes start a tad bit earlier, as people can be late and with lightening and thunderstorms periodically in the afternoons, it's nice if not prudent not to have to rush up the trail and down the trail! Takes the fun out of the excursion, afterall, it is suppose to be a vacation! Needless to say? If you've never seen the Rocky Mountains, you're in for a real majestic experience!

Room Tip: Book early!
  • Stayed August 2011, traveled solo
4 Thank MsBunny2011

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (10)
Wichita, KS
Reviewed August 5, 2011

About 12 miles south of Estes Park on SR 7 with a great view of Mt Meeker this guest ranch has a host of activities for all ages. The staff is wonderful, the food is exceptional and the weather is typical Rocky Mountain high country - cool evenings and wonderfully warm (not hot) days. Exceptional staff recognition to Margrette, guest services; Ashley, head wrangler; and our personal waiter, Joe. Trail rides with really well trained horses and great staff were a highlight of our stay. The ranch includes guided hiking trips, swimming and fishing. Great place to take the family. Even has a "Kids Place" to occupy/entertain the youngsters.

Room Tip: Rooms/cabins are rustic but well maintained. Ask about options for larger groups.
  • Stayed July 2011, traveled with family
4 Thank mlc0819
Washington DC, District of Columbia
Reviewed June 20, 2011

I've been to "dude" ranches before and what makes this one so special is the staff--they will do just about anything for you! We were assigned our own attentive waiter, Joel, for the week, and the food was phenomenal! Paul the hiking guide is one of the nicest men I have ever met, and will give you the jacket off his back if you are cold. Want a special meal or drink? They will make it! Want to go on an afternoon hike that isn't planned? A staff member will take you! And the nightlife is great! A magician who is also a comedian, a great jazz quartet, and a hilarious karaoke night that turns into a dance party. I'll return next summer for sure! Special thanks to Kyle, David, Ryan and Lisa...love and miss you all!

• Stayed June 2011, traveled with family
7 Thank Sum56791
New Berlin, Wisconsin
Reviewed January 26, 2011

First stayed by myself in summer of '09, stayed in cabin #7, nice clean cabin, private hot tub right out back door. Rooms are nice, but keep in mind this is a ranch, not a suite @ the Ritz. bed was very comfortable, nice Tv, not that it's really needed. The people are out of this world, wait staff excellent, bartender outstanding (Aaron) Wranglers, go way out of their way. Clark (tour guide), on off day took me and another guest for a private trip through RMNP, once in a life time event, had lunch by a mt. stream. Paul (manager) also went out of his way to make you feel 2 home. because I was traveling by myself, he took me into Estes Park one day, toured the Stanley Hotel (The Shining) another unforgetable day. I liked it so much my wife found time to go Aug. of '10. She loved it as much as I did, food excellent. the quality is 5 star, service OUTSTANDING, EVERY DAY, EVERY TIME. She did wine and cheese, perfect pictures.
Have already booked week in June of this year for wife and I.
My wife and I do not have children and travel a fair amount, this is hands down one of the best weeks of our lives. To give you an idea of our tastes, we have stayed @ Grand Lido in Jamica, over 20 times, Frenchman's reef in St. Thomas, vacation in Bald Head Island, N.C., Captiva, Naples, Marco Island FL. If you like excellent service, where people call you by first name, but are not pushy, clear blue skies, breath taking views, this is the place. Life is good!!

• Stayed August 2010, traveled as a couple
10 Thank John60133
Springfield, Massachusetts
Reviewed July 18, 2010

This is not the first ranch we have been to, but it's the best one. Unlike some ranches, there is way more to do here than just ride. There are so many activities to choose from. We went on the photography hike and it was great. The hikes into Rocky Mountain National Park are excellent too. The horseback riding is fun and there are rides set up for any skill level from pathetic (me) to advanced (my wife.) There are art-related classes, evening entertainment some nights (karaoke night is a blast) and morning and afternoon fishing, too. The surrounding scenery is beautiful and it's an easy ride to Estes Park for shopping.

The facilities are very nice-- there's a pool, communal hot tub and sauna; many cabins have their own hot tub, there are hammocks, etc. The lodge/dining room is pleasant, with porches to sit on and dine in as well. And the food is really good-- much more sophisticated than the average ranch and with a great deal of variety. The chef is very inspired and his dishes, like the homemade granola, the duck breast, and the
many soups he makes, are delicious.

Best of all, the staff is the nicest bunch of people you will ever meet. They range from college kids to grizzled veterans over the age of 70. but they all have one thing in common-- they want to make sure you have a great vacation. And you will, whether you are a couple by yourselves, a family or a big group... this is a terrific place to go for a Western adventure.

• Stayed July 2010, traveled as a couple
8 Thank dx2etc
New York
Reviewed July 10, 2010

I travelled with 2 girlfriends to LGR last summer. One of my girlfriends had posted a review, but I think she was a bit too crass so it was removed probably for that.
Anyway, back to the review. We met there for our yearly get together. We mainly went for the horsebackriding which was absolutely fantastic! Ashley, the head wrangler, was superb!! She really knew her stuff and made each ride memorable!! She took us of some of the beat and paths to show us scenary second to none. How fun was the shopping ride!!! I loved the care she insisted the horses get too. Can't say enough about her. Stephanie (blond short haired Stephanie, can't remember last name) was a hoot! She also knew her horse stuff, but I can't remember when I laughed so hard!
The food was awesome!! The kitchen and wait staff were great too! No complaints here!
Now the negative, and that came in the form of 2 people, but one in particular. The fishing guide Mark and the bartender Aaron. Now I can't complain too much about Aaaron. For the most part he was a gentleman, but when he got around Mark and had a couple drinks, he could become a bit obnoxious, but never what I could call out of line. Mark, on the other hand, was a different story. In the bar in the evenings, he could pound the drinks down with the best of them, but he is an employee and would definitely cross the lines on several occasions. He acted like this was his own personal frat party (did I mention he was in his 40's?) and as my friend had indicated in her review, had hit on all 3 of us. We were warned by many of the female staff members to watch ourselves. They said with each new week they would take bets to see how long it would take Mark to hit on femaled guests. Also, he did brag about his "conquests" to us, which was definitely more than what I wanted to know!
My girlfriends and I did talk about returning in 2010, but upon learning Mark was going to be there, we changed our minds. We love everything except for that and unfortunatley, we were quite uncomfortable with Mark there.
It is so sad when 1 person can affect a vacation so much. I hope fishing guides are easy to replace as I feel this is something management definitely should consider.
I would definitely recommend this ranch to my friends (and another trip for me!), if not for the fishing guide, Mark.
Thank you for taking time to read my long review.

• Stayed July 2009, traveled with friends
15 Thank amyhNewYork
Overland Park, KS
Reviewed July 4, 2010

We booked this trip solely based on what we read online -- and were glad we did! The setting was beautiful, the staff went out of their way to provide personal service and accommodate everyone's needs, there was plenty to do, and the food was fabulous. The rooms are basic,and a bit dated, but it is a ranch after all, and you soon find that you won't spend much time in your room anyway. The bed was comfortable, and everything was very clean, so we were good! Temperatures in June reached the low 70's in the day. If you want to feel like you've truly gotten away from everything and had the opportunity to be active, this is a great vacation for couples for a family reunion, and for families. Highly recommend.

• Stayed June 2010, traveled as a couple
#7 of 78 in Estes Park
The Woodlands on Fall River
The Woodlands on Fall River
#10 of 78 in Estes Park

Been to Lane Guest Ranch? Share your experiences!