“OK only but over priced.” 3 of 5 bubbles

Penelope's World Famous Burgers & Fries
Ranked #41 of 127 Restaurants in Estes Park
Cuisines: American, Fast Food
Good for: Dining on a budget, Local cuisine, Kids, Families with children
Dining options: Lunch, Late Night, Dinner, Highchairs Available, Seating, Takeout, Wheelchair Accessible
Auburn
“OK only but over priced.”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 6, 2013

My Patty melt was small and over cooked. Would be good if it was half the price. Fries were cold and soggy. Also very slow. World famous now to stay away. McDonnals is cheaper and better. Sorry to say.

• Visited July 2013
    • 1 of 5 bubbles

Galena, Ohio
“Busy Place = Good Food”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 6, 2013

The sign above the counter where you order says to be prepared to wait 20 minutes when they are busy. Nothing is pre-made, you can see into the kitchen as they prepare orders. This is a walk up and order place. Find a table, listen for your order number. We got carry out. I ordered a burger while my wife got the turkey Rubin. The Rubin came with fries so I got my burger as a single, we shared the fries. Both were really good.

• Visited July 2013
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
Albuquerque, NM
“Not as Advertised”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 6, 2013

My son and I stopped off her for dinner while staying in Estes Park. The restaurant was dirty, the food was greasy, it took way too long to cook and was really expensive. Not worth trying if you are visiting Estes Park there are far too many more restaurants that are worth eating at. Skip this one!!!!

Visited June 2013
Estes Park, Colorado
“Not worthy of the sign outdoors”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 4, 2013

Penelope's has really gone down hill since the owners sold out several years ago. I used to stop in every time I came up to Estes for a bacon cheese burger and fries. They really used to be great. I now live in Estes Park and have for several years. I had a couple so so experiences but missed that great burger so I tried it again. The meat tasted as though it had a seasoning masking the true flavor. The bun was so dry I could hardly get it down my throat. The fries were even off a bit. They tasted like old frying oil. Not worth the steep price at all. Upsetting because it really used to be a great place in town.

• Visited June 2013
Austin, Texas
“Pretty Good Burger, but Excessive Wait”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 2, 2013

Usually when I'm on vacation I don't mind waiting a while for food. But when I'm sitting in a loud place and most everyone around me is hungry and grumpy, I question whether it is worth it.

I've been here a few times now and as other reviewers have noted the wait can be very long. It is a very inefficient kitchen - you can still cook food fresh and not have it take 45 minutes.

The burger itself is pretty good and is fresh tasting. The fries are a bit greasy and not very crisp. I like my fries crispier, but that is a personal preference.

They do offer a wide variety of choices.

My best advice: gauge how many people are in there and sitting without food before you order. If you have the time, it is worth a try.

• Visited May 2013