“terrible place to start a vacation-beware the BUGS”

Travelodge Crescent City
Ranked #10 of 19 Hotels in Crescent City
CA
“terrible place to start a vacation-beware the BUGS”
Reviewed September 9, 2007

Nice people, terrible location. for a Travelodge this place is a little on the funky side. It appeared to be clean enough, but it did smell old. The noise was awful. the parking bordered on a drive through for Taco Bell (open late!) so all night you get the buzz from cars that go boom. the worst part was that we came out of there with over forty red itchy bits of some kind. after a week in misery and trip to the doctor it was determined to from BED BUGS! thought these were a myth, turn out they are real.

• Stayed September 2007
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
1 Thank ircsmith

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (14)
Redding, CA
Reviewed July 23, 2007

We normally stay at relatives' house in CC but this time we had to get a room. The proprietors were very pleasant. The room was clean and the bed very firm but comfortable . Rates were as expected for the time of year. Could have had better access to power outlets and the switch for the sink light was unusual.
The location is sandwiched between northbound and southbound Hwy 101 (25mph zone) and the traffic noise was quite noticeable until late at night. Being the weekend following July 4th holiday, it may have been noisier than usual.
There is a grocery store across the street and a shopping area just a block NE from the motel which includes a large chain grocery store, drug store and a variety of smaller establishments and fast food restaurants. The downtown area starts just to the SW and is easy walking. The Front St. park, beach and Civic Center are 6 blocks to the south.
Overall it did the job for our needs on this weekend although we still prefer to stay at Grandma's House.

Stayed July 2007
A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed July 5, 2006

I am actually staying at this Travelodge in Crescent city and cannot wait to put my reviews online! It is Horrible here!!! NOTHING up to the Travelodge's standard that I had expected. The coffee machine was NOT washed after last use, the last person's coffee was still in it! There is nothing but a peice of soap and shampoo, no conditioner or bath cap or anything. The towels had stuff on it, as if they were not washed properly. The breakfast here have NOTHING but coffee, muffins and bananas.. I expected a continental breakfast with waffles, juices, toasts etc.. like I had in Travelodge Seattle. The rest of my roadtrip I have booked with Travelodge, now this one makes me wonder if I should cancel. Can 2 hotels with the same name be SO different from each other? This is NOT worth it considering the price I paid!

• Stayed July 2006
3 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
vallejo,california
Reviewed February 7, 2006

I have stayed at the Travelodge three times in the last 2 months. It is a clean motel with basic accommadations. If you are looking for the Hyatt you wouldn't find it in crescent city. The people at the counter usually have a lot of good recommendations on where to go for the attractions.Only downside is the parking can get pretty bad.

Stayed September 2005
4 Thank FELICIA A
A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed August 15, 2003

I recently stayed at the Crescent City (CA) Travel Lodge, having a reservation made for a 2-queen-bed room. Though traveling alone I had reserved the 2-queen room because single queen rooms I had stayed in at other motels were usually too small.

After checking in I was given a card key for the room. But when I unlocked the door it was a single-bed room, not the larger 2-queen room I had reserved and paid for. And the room was tiny, much smaller than other single-bed rooms I had stayed at elsewhere.

Believing it was an oversight, I went back to the office and informed the manager that I was mistakenly given a single-queen room when my reservation called for the larger 2-queen room. The manager replied it WAS the correct room because I was alone and therefore needed only one bed. I responded by saying my reservation called for 2 queens because I had wanted a larger room than a single-queen room. She again said I only needed one bed to sleep on, not two. Getting a bit angry at this point, I said that my credit card had already been charged for a 2-queen room. (The price the manager charged me for this small room was the SAME price I was quoted over the phone for a 2-queen room when making the reservation .) In a matter-of-fact voice she then said, "Okay, I'll give you the 2-queen room." No apology.

One shouldn't have to argue with management to get the size of room that was reserved and paid for. Won't be staying at C.C. Travel Lodge again! BTW, Crescent City is a nice little town to visit. At the northwest corner of the city is a long beach, perhaps 3 miles, that had no more than seven people during the time I was there. Beach access was at the end of a dead-end road (forgot the name) I had stumbled upon while riding my bike.

13 Thank A TripAdvisor Member