On May 13, about noon, I called the Comfort Inn & Suites of Crescent City California to make a reservation for that night. I had asked for two rooms on the ground floor since my elderly parents were with me, he informed me that they did have the rooms and could give us ground floor accommodations. He explained to me that the property had undergone extensive updating with new furniture, new beds, new etc. new etc. During the course of our conversation he excused himself several time for mis-speaking and repeated what he had said, it sounded like he was reading from a list and would lose his place and had to start over from the beginning. He did say that the cancellation period was past and there would be a cancellation fee, he did not tell me it would be the full room rate and he did not give me a number to call to cancel.
We arrived at the property at 4pm on May 13. Driving we noticed the property looked shabby and there did not seem to be very many customers for a Saturday night. Entering the lobby there was a slight unpleasant odor, several plants that were not in good shape and what appeared to be workers loitering in the breakfast room. The entire property was in very poor condition. I stated that I had reservations for two rooms and the manager/owner behind the desk verified that they had the rooms and started to check us in. I asked if we could see the rooms first and he immediately got defensive and handed me some pictures of motel rooms and said this is what they look like, they have new furniture, new beds, had just been renovated. I said we would like to see the rooms and he then said well you will have to pay anyway and wanted me to check in immediately, I again asked to see the rooms and he very reluctantly started to give me a key to a room on the second floor, I reminded him that we had very specifically requested ground floor and he gave me a key to room 105 ( I believe that was the room number). His unwillingness to let us see the room made both of us very uncomfortable and that there must be some reason he did not want us to see the room before we had checked in. We went to look at the room, upon opening the door we immediately noticed that the room did NOT appear to have been newly renovated the curtains had several holes in the lining and looked very tacky, there was a small amount of water in the bathtub, and just generally not what we are accustomed to finding in a Comfort Inn.
We returned to the lobby and my father started to check in when my husband came into the lobby and said we should not stay that my mother wanted to just go home. At about the same time a very unsavory character came into the lobby with his mangy looking pitbull dog. We told the manager/owner that we had decided we did not want to stay because the rooms were not what we had expected, he said that we would have to pay and cancellation fee and when I asked what that would be he said one nights stay, at no time before that had I been told that was what the cancellation fee would be, I was expecting $15 or $20 which is what I have been told at other motels when making reservations. He continued to check us into the motel even thought we had told him we would not be staying, he did not listen to what we were saying. We finally were able to make him understand that we would not be staying We then left.
We have never had such a terrible experience at any hotel we have stayed at, never in my life have I been treated so badly. That manager/owner was unacceptably rude, insulting, disrespectful in every way. We did not stay because this property is sub-standard and very poorly managed.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- The Quality Inn & Suites Redwood Coast hotel in Crescent City, California is ideally located off Highway 101, just three miles from the Redwood National and State Parks headquarters. This hotel is near many attractions, including: Elk Valley Casino, Jedediah Smith, Redwoods State Park, Ocean World, St. George Reef Lighthouse, Battery Point Lighthouse, Crescent City Harbor and Lake Earl State Park.The beach, harbor, several stores and a variety of restaurants are within walking distance of the Quality Inn & Suites hotel.Enjoy many amenities: free deluxe continental breakfast, free local calls, free coffee, free high-speed Internet access, free weekday newspaper, laundry facility, copy services, business center and valet cleaning services.All rooms include coffee makers, irons with boards, hair dryers and cable television. Many rooms and suites have balconies, refrigerators, microwaves and large whirlpool bathtubs.Pets are welcome with a stay fee. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Expedia, Hotels.com, Choice Hotels, Travelocity, Orbitz, Priceline, getaroom.com, Hotwire and HotelQuickly so you can book your Quality Inn & Suites Redwood Coast reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Quality Inn And Suites Redwood Coast
- Quality Inn & Suites Redwood Coast Hotel Crescent City
- Quality Inn Crescent City
- Quality Inn Redwood Coast
- Comfort Inn Crescent City
- Crescent City Comfort Inn