“I Think I Got The Room TeddiBytheBay Gave Up” 2 of 5 stars
Review of Gardenia Motel

No photo provided
Got a photo?
Add it.
We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Crescent City
Gardenia Motel
You added Gardenia Motel to your Saves list
Ranked #18 of 19 Hotels in Crescent City
Ashland, Oregon
“I Think I Got The Room TeddiBytheBay Gave Up”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed September 3, 2012

We needed a last minute place to stay on a busy weekend and everybody else was booked up. The people who run this place are very nice. Other than that - yech tooey - and, I think I even got a bed with brand new clean bedspreads. I took a washcloth and soap and cleaned the remote control. The washcloth turned yellow. I cleaned all the door knobs. The washcloth turned really really yellow to brown. I cleaned the doors. Brown. I cleaned the bedboard. yellow. I was afraid to leave my possessions in the room. I was afraid to leave my dog in the room. It looked as if they had, at some point not too long ago, intended to upgrade the rooms. And then gave up. I will say the mattress was surprisingly firm and comfortable. But, the rooms was noisy as hell. It sounded like a herd was dancing upstairs.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled with family
    • 4 of 5 stars
      Sleep Quality
    • 4 of 5 stars
1 Thank eliza5000

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (3)
Concord, CA
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 30, 2012

The background: first we did not book here, but exactly a year ago, had booked a room at the Travelodge. When when got the the motel we had booked at, many of their rooms were damaged (they said a washing machine had flooded) and had taken out a wing of the motel. We had booked a 3 queen room and so the folks had scoured all over for another place to put us. I can't completely blame them because they did try to help- HOWEVER- we went from a 1 1/2-2 star motel to a 1/2 star motel and should have known that the Gardenia wouldn't have been acceptable.

So, I never would have picked this place BUT we gave it a try. The lobby was small, terribly old, smelled terribly of cleaning products (and I'm not a smell sensitive person). The ladies working the front desk were kind and friendly. They had one or two rooms in this place that had enough bedding (3 queens). I think we were charged $90 plus tax. We got our old fashioned room key. The grounds were in disrepair, obviously. I want to say a washer and dryer were out in back of the lobby.

The room, well we look back at now and laugh. There were indeed three beds, and three very different mattresses. All of the mattresses and bedding looked old and shabby. I mean they would have looked old and shabby 10 years ago, let alone now. One mattress was the sinking-est ever mattress. One was so firm, so hard, One, well, no, it wasn't just right it was super springy. It was like the Goldilocks story come to life. There was no AC, which, btw is not a rare thing for any of the hotels/motels in Crescent City as it is almost never above 65 degrees and truly, other than a ceiling fan is not needed. BUT the room smelled dank. There was a used hairbrush missed by housekeeping that was under one of the beds and stuff left behind in a trash can. There was only a tiny bit of toilet paper left, so since we had been in the car for hours and I had kids, we had to almost immediately ask for more toilet paper.

The bathroom had no tub, just a shower. The idea was unpack and get dinner as we were hungry, but the plan quickly changed. My husband took a 3 minute shower and got out and said he wasn't going to let me or the kids in the shower. It stank like sewer (the smell came back up thru the drain) and the water went from very hot to very cold repeatedly every 60 seconds. I admit that it was at least funny to listen to from the room (AH!! Ahhs!!). So after 1 hour in the room, I gave up. I had gone to open a window to try to air out the smell but there were no screens on the windows and we were on the ground floor. All I had wanted was a place to sleep safely, comfortably and take a bath and since we couldn't do any of these, I went back to lobby and checked out. I didn't even ask for a full refund, I said I'd appreciate any refund but they did give us, with no hassle a full refund.

I do not think it was an issue with just our room. There is no saving this motel without a complete and total ground-to-ceiling refurb, including the pipes and water. Even in the lobby, they had a manual listing of their rooms, like a spreadsheet that some rooms crossed off as uninhabitable and others that had "good" rooms on them, and ours was a good room. It would be ok for street people or those who live in crack houses regularly, everyone else would feel grossed out and not at ease. Yes, it really was *that bad*.

Of course, being Friday night on a Labor Day weekend, we had a very rough time finding elsewhere to stay. Crescent City is not a big town, and virtually all the motels had "no vacancy" signs up. We tried 4 other motels and got turned away and finally found a room at the Bayview Inn.

Room Tip: The best tip for a good room would be to not stay here. There are no good rooms. That's just the...
  • Stayed September 2011, traveled with family
      Sleep Quality
1 Thank TeddiBytheBay

Travelers are raving about these Crescent City hotels

surrey, british columbia
2 of 5 stars Reviewed August 3, 2012 via mobile

I arrived in Crescent City at 10 pm on the evening of August 1, 2012, and all the motels had "no vacancy" signs lit up. All motels except for the Gardenia Motel. The best way to describe this place is to call it "sketchy". For $62.99 (plus tax) I did not expect much of the Gardenia Motel, and it lived up to my expectation. The woman at check- in (and check-out the next morning) was very pleasant, but that is about the only good thing I can say about he Gardenia Motel. it is not hard to understand why the Gardenia Motel is ranked number 18 of 19 in Crescent City.

The room was very basic. Queen bed with ancient mattress (hard, with springs coming through. It should have been put out of its misery years ago), ancient 25 inch television, tiny thin towels in the bathroom (bring your own shampoo - they don't provide any), large shower (no tub), carpet right out of the 1970s, and a plain Jane decor. This is not the Ritz.

Room noise and jerks for neighbors did not help the ambience. The people in the room above me were talking and walking into the wee hours of the night. With no sound proofing, it was like they were in my room (but worse). The smell of burnt marijuana permeated the air, and road noise from Highway 101 competed with the neighbors for my attention.

Overall, on a scale of 1 to 10, where 1 is terrible and 10 is excellent, I give the Garneia Motel a 3.

Stayed August 2012, traveled solo
1 Thank David P
Stoneham, Massachusetts
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 21, 2012

This hotel was awful! There were yellow stains on the sheets. I was not expecting anything special or pretty, but at least it could be clean. Do not stay here!! There are hotels all over... This place is not worth any money.

1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 6, 2012

This is the most disgusting hotel I've stayed at . Everything is old , shower is disgusting and barely works
No air conditioning
Facilities are dirty trash everywhere
Dark and multi colors
Washing machines from the 70's
Ice machine broken

Stay somewhere else. This place is a hole

Hamburg, Germany
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 5, 2012 via mobile

On our way down the coast we stayed at this little gem. Oh my. We had booked in advance via booking.com, where not much was to be found about this motel. Boy, I sure wish we would have checked out TA about this!

Pulling onto the parking lot you realize that the surrounding area is somewhat dodgy. Some of the other guests looked like normal people, but part of what I saw made me want to stay in the car with locked doors.

The front desk was friendly and accomodating, that has to be said. We promptly got our key and went to our room. Coming in, it was clear that also this place has seen better times. Much better times, that is. The room looked clean, with the bathroom worn but also clean. The bed was actually comfortable.

Now, regarding downsides. The window opens towards the parking lot an the walkway, so people walk by your window an are free to have a peek, should you not decide to close the drapes - after which you will be in darkness. The traffic noise is on a level that does not permit opening the window, which is basically a good thing, because with regards to the other guests you might want to think twice before opening a so easily accessed entrance to your room.

The walls are paper thin, you can hear your neighbors pretty well. On the night we stayed here we had even more entertainment, since a derelict couple two rooms down from ours got into an argument where he threatened to take the door down. This went on for some time, until they seemed to find a solution.

On the upside: the shower worked fine and had as much hot water as you might want. The wifi was also pretty reliable.

That was pretty much it. It surely deserves to be ranked 18 of 19 hotels in Crescent City. Stay away if you can, and bring heavy duty earplugs if you must sleep here.

Show Low, Arizona
2 of 5 stars Reviewed August 17, 2011

My wife and I were doing a scenic tour down 101 and Crescent City was our goal to make a stop for the night. We checked several hotels while coming into town and they were a bit higher priced than my wife wanted. We stopped here, the price after all taxes was only $55 which made my wife happy.

This motel looks sort of quaint from the street, by the way. Being a retired LEO, I knew from quick observation what this place was like and told my wife I doubt it would work out. But she wanted to save money!

When we went to the room, the door was hard to open and we could see quite a few of the residents inside their rooms and walking about and from my experience knew that things were a bit 'shady'. The room was "sort of clean", flat pillows, stained carpet and a bad odor. For a non smoking room, a lot of smoke was inhaled in there. My wife went to see if another room was available, a "non-smoking room" and it was worse. Broken dresser and just a pit. My wife also finally observed some of those staying there and she decided that we should get our money back.

The manager was VERY friendly and truly accommodating and understood. He said you get pretty much what you pay for by the way.

In any event, we went on down the road and spent twice as much for a decent room but just seemed as though even the decent hotel we stayed at was over priced.

Room Tip: Check the room you will be getting first. I would not trust the couple of 5* reviews below.
  • Stayed June 2011, traveled with family
Americas Best Value Inn
Americas Best Value Inn
#11 of 19 in Crescent City
3.0 of 5 stars 182 reviews

Been to Gardenia Motel? Share your experiences!