“Overpriced for what you get”

Best Western Plus Northwoods Inn
Ranked #3 of 19 Hotels in Crescent City
Raleigh, NC
“Overpriced for what you get”
Reviewed July 28, 2012 via mobile

We stayed here for one night as a stopover on our trip through the redwoods. The place was completely full when we arrived, but we had a prepaid Hotwire reservation (so we avoided the safe fee). We had a room in the front motel-style building. We had a first-floor room, and you could hear the other guests quite clearly. From TVs to random thuds to AC and plumbing noise, the room was annoyingly loud. There were a lot of bumps and watermarks and imperfections on the ceiling and walls, but everything was clean.

The TV was a new flat-panel, but it only got 35 channels. None were HD, and they didn't have NBC. Normally, we wouldn't care, but we wanted to watch the Olympics, so it was disappointing. We used their laundry facilities, and they were pretty mediocre. The washing machines were small and they left the clothes completely soaked (virtually no spin cycle). Even though we wrung out several pairs of jeans before drying them, they came out of the dryer still dripping wet. As there was a line, we had to take them back to the room before bringing them back and drying them again.

Service was fine, but not exceptional. The breakfast in the morning was slightly better than average. Yes, most items are premade, but what BW or Fairfield or Hampton or HIE has completely fresh items? The pancakes were good and the potatoes were nice. However, the pastries were below par. The premade cinnamon buns were cut in half, and the other muffins and bagels were pretty bad. I couldn't find any danishes. We paid about $125 (total) through Hotwire, and I know this is the peak of the tourism season. Even though the rooms normally go for $175 through the BW website, I thought that we still paid too much for the quality of the stay that we had.

Stayed July 2012, traveled with family
2 Thank Johann8431

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (153)
Tucson, Arizona
Reviewed July 23, 2012

There were two people checking guests in when we arrived. I was next in line for JM to check in, but he immediately answered the phone. After the phone issue was resolved, he processed some paperwork, then got another call. At no time did he acknowledge my presence or even apologize for the wait. After someone who came in after me got registered by the other staff member, she asked if I was being helped. I said "No, he seems to be taking all the calls." JM said he just took customers' requests as they came in...no apology about the wait. In every further contact with this person, I got a sarcastic answer. Truly, nothing sets the tone like that first impression, and in this case, it wasn't good.
The room was adequate, but no glasses for water were provided. There is a coffee maker in the room, but the informational folder explains that whatever coffee you got in the room is all you get for free. They suggest if you want another cup, you go to the restaurant next door and buy some. Really? I've never been in a BW hotel before that didn't have coffee available all day. In fact, I don't remember the last time I was in ANY major chain hotel that didn't provide tea and coffee all day.
We stayed 2 nights and got 1 free breakfast card when we arrived. I was told I had to return to the front desk to get the second day's breakfast card and was to tell them what I thought of their breakfast. I didn't think much of it. Sure, there were hot and cold options, but the orange juice tasted artificial, the cinnamon rolls were mediocre and cut in half, and the only fresh thing I ate was the fruit...though that WAS wonderful.
I don't see where the Plus comes in. If I don't factor in the rude treatment by the front desk, all I can say is this hotel was average. And yes, I got stung by the safe fee, though truthfully, that happens quite a lot. It must be a regular BW thing.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled solo
1 Thank raqsharqi
Alameda, California
Reviewed July 23, 2012

Nice, big clean room. We had one of back room away from street noise. On lower floor so did hear noise of kids above but stopped after nine. We had kids so understand! Only complaint was cheap plastic toilet seat. Shame as rest of room very nice. Breakfast buffet included but just OK. We would stay here again...looked like one of nicer one in town.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled with family
1 Thank Judy W
Reviewed July 23, 2012

My wife and I pre-planned a stop in Crescent City after a long day of traveling and loads of fun at Redwoods. In retrospect, it was a good all-around choice.
First, regarding prices, we found the property to be reasonably priced within the range of similar-quality motels across the West Coast.
Second, the location is very good. Close to the park is an advantage for those traveling through the Redwoods. Additionally, it is within a short distance to the local harbour and a short drive to many restaurants.
The breakfast buffet was served at a restaurant affiliated with the hotel just across the motel's parking lot . Notably, the price of the good breakfast served was included in the cost of the room.
Finally, our room was a good size for a couple and was very clean. We also found the staff to be cooperative and friendly.
In short, we found the property to be fine for a one-night stay (as ours) and should be sufficient for longer stays in the area. We would stay there again if necessary and have no problems recommending it to others.
Tami/Aviv

• Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple
Sonoma, California
Reviewed July 21, 2012

Pay attention when signing the paperwork at registration (where they ask for your license number, verify the rate, etc.) The 'fine print' just above where they ask you to sign contains a statement that, unless you object, you're 'on the hook' for a separate $1.10 per night charge for the room safe, whether you use it or not. Petty hustle and a small amount, I know, but sure left a bad taste in my mouth and glad I was still alert after a day of strenuous driving to notice and object.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled on business
9 Thank 33107Sage66_us
Glendale, Arizona
Reviewed July 21, 2012

We stayed here for 2 nights recently while visiting the Redwoods. This is probably the nicest place to stay in Crescent City. We had a huge room called the Family Suite and it was perfect for our family of 6. The beds were very comfortable. The pull out couch mattress was not great but fine for 2 kids. The breakfast was not the best - we did that one morning and then hit McDonald's on our way out of town the next day. We did eat at the Apple Pedler Inn and it was very good. We also did Pizza from The Pizza King which was expensive but good. The aquarium in town was neat- a nice break from driving and it only took an hour to go through. On our way out my husband left his wedding ring in the room- it must have fallen onto the floor from the nightstand. The hotel called us right away and we stopped back to get it. It was nice to know they have a trust worthy and courteous staff! Would stay here again if we were back in town.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled with family
Glide, Oregon
Reviewed July 18, 2012

Very clean, well maintained motel. Staff courteous and helpful. Average size rooms with large screen TV, microwave, fridge.

Has a breakfast buffet included in price but it is just barely ok. Scrambled eggs were dry, sausages were .... ?

Would stay here again, mainly to get my BW points.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled solo
Anchor Beach Inn
Anchor Beach Inn
#8 of 19 in Crescent City
BEST WESTERN Beachfront Inn

Been to Best Western Plus Northwoods Inn? Share your experiences!