“Must Be Better in Crescent City”
Review of Anchor Beach Inn

Anchor Beach Inn
Ranked #7 of 19 Hotels in Crescent City
Reviewed July 31, 2013

When we drove up the place looked nice, but after that things went downhill. Upon entering the room, I was accosted by the strongest cleaner smell ever, I'm not sure what they used to clean with, but it was STRONG and they used a LARGE amount of it. The window was open in the bathroom, and despite it being cold, we never closed that window because the cleaner smell was so strong, it never went away. I was shocked and dismayed to see that our room overlooked a shantytown of rusted out trucks and boats, supposedly this is an RV park. I had to close the curtains for privacy. Since we were staying one night, I figured it wasn't worth it to ask to move. The room itself was very large, yet the sink was extremely small with minimal counter space. The beds were comfortable, but the bedspreads were very outdated shiny polyester. The spa was nice, but the hours it was open were very minimal making it almost unusable. The breakfast was your typical continental breakfast, nothing to get excited about. The eating area is so small it makes it seem like they don't really want you to eat there, not very inviting. The location is good because it is right off the highway, but isn't everything right off the highway in Crescent City?! Probably you can find something better, and if not, then hopefully you are only staying for one night.

Room Tip: Unless you want to look at rusted trucks and boats and the people who live in them, ask to have a ro...
2  Thank tawneydog

Reviewed July 30, 2013

We stayed in room 105 for one night in July. We stayed at six hotels/motels during our two week trip, and in our opinion the Anchor Beach Inn was by far the worst. If you can skip it, do so. If you have no other choice, continue reading.

We found the Anchor Beach Inn to be a dated motel that is next to an asphalt/parking lot
trailer park. You can see the water from some rooms and walk there easily, but we had hoped for something more.

The room was clean enough but it was definitely nothing fancy. The sink for the bathroom is in the "living area" of the room, outside the bathroom. In fact, it looked as if the area could have been a closet before it was opened up to put in a sink. That left the room without a real closet, although there was a small cubby hole area to hang clothes. There was a refrigerator and microwave. The television was an old Zenith, tube television. There was Wi-Fi in the room.

We didn't bother to use the hot tub because it was open for such a limited period and because the water and hot tub room both appeared to be dirty.

If we had it to do over again while traveling the California and Oregon coast, we would avoid this motel and Crescent City.

Room Tip: If you want a water view, make sure to ask for it and also verify that you are not overlooking the t...
Reviewed July 24, 2013

The room was fairly clean-a hair here and there. There was enough space for our family of 4. The room had a weird smell in the bathroom and they tried to cover it up with pine cleaner. There wasn't enough towels for a family of 4 and the ones we had were super thin with holes. They boast an ocean view but there is an RV park right outside the window. The window curtains must be closed so they can't see in your room. The RV park is really a trailer park; these trailers haven't gone anywhere for a while-the people live there. The breakfast was basic; toast, bagels, cereal, muffins, waffles, hard-boiled eggs. I utilized the laundry room; 2 washers, but one was broken and 4 dryers at $1.75 each load. We were impressed with the Chart room restaurant right down the road.

Reviewed July 20, 2013

The breakfast was very good, everything was fresh and well stocked. The beds were comfortable and all the sheets were in great condition. The hotel room overall was well maintained. I did not have a view of the trailer court, I was on the second floor on the side of the building with an unobstructed view of the ocean. I did not give it 5 stars for the following reason. The hot tub could have been better maintained or cleaned. Overall, I would stay at this hotel again without hesitation.

Room Tip: Second floor has the best views, ask for the south facing side of the hotel.
  • Stayed: July 2013, traveled solo
1  Thank cessnapilot2
Reviewed July 9, 2013

We stayed here years ago, and booked in again recently. It was another good stay.

This is not fancy, but it is nicely furnished, very clean, and the views cannot be beat. The office staff are friendly and very helpful. Our room was again on the second floor, with a beautiful view of the ocean. Where else can you sit in bed, while it's raining, and watch the wild Pacific ocean for under $100?

We highly recommend this motel and will definitely be back.

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled with family
2  Thank CaTravel7
Reviewed July 3, 2013

Too be honest, the hotel matched the vibe of the city. You would think being a gateway to the redwoods that it would have more of a touristy feel, but really the city itself is older and doesn't have the quaint ambience of the other coastal towns we stayed at. We also got off to a bad start with this hotel when they checked us into a room that someone was already occupying. When you walk in and there are dirty clothes strung about it kind of made the room we ended up end feeling a little dirty as well. Out of the 4 motels we stayed at, this one was the closest to the beach, but the view still wasn't that great because you could see a big RV park in the same frame as your beach view. If we didn't have the check in snafu, would still rate this hotel a 3, but it would be a little more enthusiastic.

Room Tip: Choose a different city,
  • Stayed: July 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed June 28, 2013 via mobile

I booked this hotel in advance through booking.com. There were 2 options available for a room with 2 queens: "Pet Friendly" or "Not Pet Friendly". I clicked on "Pet Friendly" because I was bringing my dog. After a very long driving day, I checked in at about 8:30 p.m. The clerk never said anything about my dog, so I reminded her and told her I had a dog so she would charge me appropriately. She seemed surprised that I had a dog and I told her how I clicked the box on the website. She went and got the owner and he accused me of being confused about the website having a "Pet Friendly" option button. He refused to allow me to stay in the room I had reserved because it was not a "pet room". He offered me a smoking room and I refused. He offered me a room with 1 bed, but could not provide 2 roll aways to accommodate the 3 teenagers I had with me. He then called The Econolodge in town and asked them if they had a pet room for me. He directed me to The Econolodge in town, which I am 99% sure he also owned. By this time, I was so exhausted I took the room. It ended up being the most disgusting room I have ever stayed in. There was hair all over the sheets, pillows, and bedspreads and the bathroom was not thoroughly cleaned. The only good thing was the clerk at this hotel was polite. We ended up laying blankets and jackets on top of the beds and sleeping with our own sleeping bags on top. This was literally the worst hotel experience I have ever had. I strongly do NOT recommend the Anchor Beach Inn or the Econolodge in Crescent City

Stayed: June 2013
Holiday Inn Express Klamath Redwood Nt'l Park Area
Americas Best Value Inn
Americas Best Value Inn
#14 of 19 in Crescent City

Been to Anchor Beach Inn? Share your experiences!