“No elevators and shows its age”
Review of Anchor Beach Inn

Anchor Beach Inn
Ranked #8 of 19 Hotels in Crescent City
Australian Capital Territory, Australia
“No elevators and shows its age”
Reviewed June 22, 2013

Check in wasnt super friendly and having to carry bags up stairs a disadvantage. Lots of dogs staying here but no problem. Rooms were showing their age. Old tube TV let it down. Jacuzzi looked dirty. Place needs a renovation IMO

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with friends

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (91)
Fort Bragg
Reviewed June 21, 2013

Excellent customer service and very accommodating. Clean, clean, clean and comfortable! Stayed here 5 nights mid June on a last minute business trip. Needed to spend an additional night, motel was packed but we were accommodated!

• Stayed June 2013, traveled on business
1 Thank ALSD50
Sydney, Australia
Reviewed June 20, 2013

I stayed at the Anchor Beach in late-May 2013, and I think it is the best/most reasonable option for the area. If you have to stay in Crescent City (which is a bit of a wasteland), then this is the place I would recommend. Other places are more expensive, and don't really offer much more if you are only looking to stay a night.

Yes, it is fairly basic, but I think better than other basic motels. It had a fridge, microwave and good wi-fi access. I had asked for a 1st floor room with view of the ocean, and they accommodated me - it was a large room (south-west facing I think). I found it very quite, which was surprising given that the highway is right next to the hotel, and if I went up to the window, you could see roaring trucks go by.

Travelling as a single female, I felt safe. There is no lift, just stairs to drag your luggage up, but that didn't bother me.

The room was clean, though a faint odour of Indian permeated the room. It was a bit odd having the sink in the room, rather than the bathroom.

The bed was not comfortable, but I dont think you can expect better for what the hotel is.

I didn't partake of the breakfast - fortunately I was self catering (hence wanting a fridge), as what was on offer did not look good, and didn't seem to offer healthy options. The supermarkets in the area are good for picking up what you need.

Room Tip: Ask if they can provide you with a 1st Floor room with a view of the ocean when booking - you may be...
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled solo
Reviewed June 19, 2013 via mobile

My son an I brought our dog (big one) to this motel..for a week!
an excellent choice...beach right outside our door..so convenient for us an our dog. The perfect place. Rooms clean. .management great...no problems whatsoever. We will definitely be returning to this motel at every chance we get to return to Crescent City CA....

• Stayed June 2013
Fountain Hills, Arizona
Reviewed June 18, 2013

This is an adequate motel, way overpriced for what you get. It is your typical polyester bedspread motel. The lamp switches didn't work, and we had to plug and unplug them to turn them on and off. The heating/cooling system made so much noise we shut it off so we could sleep. Breakfast offered waffles but no syrup, toast but no jam. Worst of all, I had reserved an accessible room online which had a photo of a room with two queen beds (the write-up didn't mention the bed configuration). When I checked in I was given a room with one queen bed which was not acceptable. When I showed the woman at check-in the photo of the room I had reserved she adamantly refused to give it to me without my paying more even though several such rooms were available. Finally after creating quite a scene a man came out from the back and gave me the room I had reserved at the same price. There is no reason to ever go back to this motel. I did have a nice walk on the nearby beach.

Room Tip: Rooms on the west side look out at a parking lot full of rundown campers and boats, many of which a...
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple

Travelers are raving about these Crescent City hotels

Doylestown, Pennsylvania
Reviewed June 14, 2013

If you're coming now as in June 14ish, they are painting the exterior, so "water view" = painter's plastic over your window. Ask ahead. But that's not for all rooms.
PROS: Close to highway, very clean!, seems to be never-used-before shower/bathtub insert, fridge, tv (old), luggage rack.
CONS: No elevator to 2nd floor (lug bags up stairs), bathroom sink is literally in the room by the door, '80s bedspreads (Noooo! - pulled them off the beds immediately), exposed boxsprings with no bedskirt, looking a bit "used", and what appears to be very old, worn and potentially dirty carpet. Bad early '80s style border decoration by the ceiling defies what appears to be a new paint job overall in the room.

It's clean, and decent I suppose. Not too bad.

Room Tip: If you have luggage/heavy bags, don't get a room on the second floor - no elevator.
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
Olympia, Washington
Reviewed June 9, 2013

We reached the Anchor Beach Inn after a very long day of sightseeing driving from Sacramento through Redwood NP. Pleasant and helpful receptionist gave our party two adjoining rooms on the ground floor. Our wheelchair accessible room worked well enough for our needs -- nothing exceptionally brilliant but no problems either. And yes, the bay window looked straight out into the RV park! Quite decent buffet breakfast in the lobby, including waffle-maker and hard-boiled eggs that were replenished during our meal.

Best feature in our view was Anchor Beach's proximity to the Harbor View Grotto Restaurant, reached by walking along the side of Redwood Highway and turning into an unpromising looking parking lot for a redwood sculpture shop. Its lighthouse cupola shows you where to find good hearty seafood; the loooong ramp for wheelchair access is around the side. Great views towards the bay from most tables, plus a cozy bar in the back, complete with fireplace.

Room Tip: The upper floor has a sporting chance of seeing the water -- ground floor rooms on the long building...
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled with friends
Holiday Inn Express Klamath Redwood Nt'l Park Area
Americas Best Value Inn
Americas Best Value Inn
#14 of 19 in Crescent City

Been to Anchor Beach Inn? Share your experiences!